Homebrew Any emulator with Netplay?

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I pulled out my 3DS for the first time in 3 years to get it up to date and installed RetroArch 1.8.8 (never used RA back then but injected VC instead) only to find out that there's simply no Netplay in the menu.
I know, the 3DS has only 128 MB Ram which might be the main reason for this but it has better WiFi than the Switch and I was hoping to start a netplay session of Contra (FCEumm) between the Nintendo Switch and the 3DS (New 3DS XL to be precise).

Did I only not find it or do just a few cores support netplay or am I really doomed?
Do at least any other emulators (apart from RetroArch/Libretro) support netplay on the 3DS?

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Better wifi than the switch :thinking:
At least it feels like that is true. The Wifi chip in the Switch really sucks and can't connect well in my working room while the 3DS can without problems and has a good connection.

However let's stay on topic please.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried it in FCEumm and Snes9x2002 and worked fine, first tou have to activate the Netplay Tab, go to Settings - User Interface - Views, then turn the Netplay Tab on
Holy shit, it really was that easy. That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!

In fact Contra ran very well, I'm truly surprised!
That means NES games can be enjoyed in Netplay between a 3DS and a Switch which is awesome!

SNES games however don't seem to work.
The only core that is available on both systems (since it has to be the exact same core, same core version and same content obviously) is Snes9x 2010 and that doesn't run well enough on the 3DS. I guess that's why it automatically disconnects from netplay as soon as the game launches.
When I enter the hosted game from my Switch it loads up the game but jumps out of Netplay.
However, being able to play NES games via Netplay this way is still cool enough for me. What a great feature.
SEGA Master System might run as well. Gotta try.

Also I guess I can play SNES games with any friend from Switch to Switch. Gotta try that out soon.

Again thanks for the tip! :)

Reactions: Zense

mosslump

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys cool thread, but are you using some non-stable build of retroarch or the fceumm core? I scoured the menus and could not find any netplay tab entry under user interface -> views. It does have an entry in settings -> network which shows the message "no settings found." When I check out "system information" it lists "Netplay (Peer-to-Peer) Support: No.

Last edited by mosslump,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey guys cool thread, but are you using some non-stable build of retroarch or the fceumm core? I scoured the menus and could not find any netplay tab entry under user interface -> views. It does have an entry in settings -> network which shows the message "no settings found." When I check out "system information" it lists "Netplay (Peer-to-Peer) Support: No.
I guess you could try the specific build that is posted here and the steps:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/unofficial-3ds-retroarch-builds.462252/page-19#post-9053474

Last edited by Zense,

mosslump

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, i used the oficial RetroArch latest build (1.8.8)
Nice. I just installed the latest nightly and it includes netplay. I'm pretty sure the one I had before earlier this week was whatever they serve on the main retroarch download page.

Reactions: JP17

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Netplay is for LAN with a nearby console right? it doesn't have online servers and such? Because i don't have any friends with a console to play with nearby so if that's the case i wont dig into this

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Netplay is for LAN with a nearby console right? it doesn't have online servers and such? Because i don't have any friends with a console to play with nearby so if that's the case i wont dig into this
It can be used by directly hitting a host IP (perfect for LAN) but also with a mitm server (which I used for quick testing although both my 3DS and my Switch were in my LAN but even with mitm it was lag free).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night