Hacking Any Difference Between Playing Scrubbed and Clean ISOs?

• Thread starter docoweatpie
  • Start date
  • Views 12,740
  • Replies 13
D

docoweatpie

I remember someone mentioned he had longer loading issues playing scrubbed ISOs. But aren't scrubbed and clean ISOs practically the same? All it is that unused areas are overwritten with 0xFFs. It should play the same as the clean ones. Anyone else had issues with scrubbed ISOs?

sl33p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could be totally wrong with this so if I am someone please correct me.

But, as far as I understand Wii games often do not fill up a full dvd. So, what devs do is add garbage "dummy" data to the disk to help push the data towards the outside of the disc where sequential access is faster. What scubbers do is replace this garbage data with all '0s' rather than random garbage data. this allows the files to be compressed to a much greater degree as the 0's are very predictable and psuedorandom data by definition is not and thus all the garbage data can be packed down into about as much space as a single '0' could.

So, to answer the question, no, there should not be any appreciable difference in gameplay between an orignal and scrubbed game.

I hope this is correct and I hope this helped. And trust me, back in the early dreamcast days we would have killed for pre-dummied games
smile.gif

Reactions: Stash23

wiibob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tried scrubbed version of Cooking mama World Kitchen, Burned 3 times and kept getting the 'please refer to user manual' error. Is it because its scrubbed? Ive seen reports on this game working flawlessly :S and i cant get it to work

D

docoweatpie

Hm... I just checked the "Free Time" from my smallest scrubbed ISO, Bully: Scholarship Edition, from ImgBurn. It says 510:00:62, while I have these crappy Fujifilm DVD+R it has 510:03:29. I'd say thats pretty good filling almost the entire space. Think I'll check my other scrubbed ISOs.

Kayelle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and was hoping someone could help! I have a scrubbed version of Wii Music which I'm unable to play. When I pop the disc into my Wii it says "Unable to Read Disc". My wii is chipped with a Wiikeyv2. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong here. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just burnt the ISO to disc using Nero.

Hkari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kayelle said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and was hoping someone could help! I have a scrubbed version of Wii Music which I'm unable to play. When I pop the disc into my Wii it says "Unable to Read Disc". My wii is chipped with a Wiikeyv2. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong here. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just burnt the ISO to disc using Nero.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here that Nero has a high chance of making a bad burn. Try using Imgburn.

Kayelle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hkari said:
Kayelle said:
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here that Nero has a high chance of making a bad burn. Try using Imgburn.

Thank you, I'll give that a go. Hopefully it works this time! I was assuming it was a problem with the scrubbed file, as my other clean ISO that I made using the same method worked perfectly.

kitt050383

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the only time a scrubbed game may give you a hard time is when 1. it's a newer game and 2. you have to patch the ios to a different version....

otherwise it should be fine.....

-kitt050383

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1