any deaf gamers / hackers / modders / programmers here?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few around here if conversations over the years are anything to go by, and several more have friends and family and/or otherwise know how things go/how to sign in various forms.

I am not myself but give it a few years and I probably will be (genetics, concerts, power tools, explosions, loud engines... yeah -- I already lipread/lip augment by default, and have done for many years).

If you are asking specifically about modders for games then there are many sympathetic to the situation. Most of the time it is adding subtitles to videos which lack it and that can be on the harder side of things.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Subtitles to videos and cutscenes are a good thing, and not only for deaf people. I like to play in english, but I'm more a reader than listener, and sometime it's hard to understand what they are saying without subtitles when it's not your native language.

I didn't see any console game patch to add subtitles. it's more common to find translation patches, than additional content in already available languages.
maybe I don't know about it, or it's more a PC thing?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I like to play in english, but I'm more a reader than listener, and sometime it's hard to understand what they are saying without subtitles when it's not your native language.
I know what that’s like. I play in english myself but turn on english subtitles when available. You understand better if you listen and read. Also sometimes subtitles and dub don’t match / subtitles have more information.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Subtitles to videos and cutscenes are a good thing, and not only for deaf people. I like to play in english, but I'm more a reader than listener, and sometime it's hard to understand what they are saying without subtitles when it's not your native language.

I didn't see any console game patch to add subtitles. it's more common to find translation patches, than additional content in already available languages.
maybe I don't know about it, or it's more a PC thing?
PC all the time but several people doing Japanese translations for the DS and PSP have made soft sub type hacks or even made encoders for the videos that did not have such things (both being rather difficult at these things go). A few people then twisted some of those towards making things for those wanting subs for their cutscenes, though I am lacking links at this point in time.

ELY_M

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for replies. I found a deaf person on here thru my search on here. I wondering if there are more deaf ppl.
I have been quiet on here for many years. I believe there are more deaf ppl just reading this forums and learning how to hack their consoles and run homebrew.

Reactions: JeepX87

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe there are more deaf ppl just reading this forums and learning how to hack their consoles and run homebrew.

Quite possibly. With most of the consoles we deal extensively in around here, or have historically dealt extensively with, it is not like being deaf is a big drag on things -- not much voice acting on the GBA, much less something conveyed exclusively through voice acting, and most hacking does not require hearing either. Not seeing a person in a rhythm game thread is just as likely because they don't care about the gameplay style. Don't know what the future will hold, especially with voice synthesis going the way it is (with no great amount of training data programs that mere mortals can afford can synthesise voices*), but I imagine games will remain something of a text and visual medium for a while yet.

*it might be of limited use for you but for others playing along at home

https://www.neowin.net/news/lyrebir...039s-voice-from-a-one-minute-audio-recording/

Occasionally I will see people making grammatical mistakes common to, bordering on exclusive to, people deaf since birth/before learning to talk and write but unless it is going to be a problem for what they want to do (see above) then I don't see why I would bring it up.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it half counts ;)
sorry, for the bad joke...

I guess Ely wants to know if it's harder to hack a console or follow softmod guide when you are deaf?
on GBAtemp we tend to dislike video tutorials, and everything is written and explained as best as we can. So, you should find most of your answers already covered here, and if you are not sure, never hesitate to ask, we will always prefer users asking for help before doing something wrong, than having to fix a broken setup. Even if that question has been asked and answered thousands of times, no problem!

As a general rule, never go to youtube or follow a video as tutorial even if it has subtitles or text explanation on it, they can't be updated on new hack release, new console or firmware version, etc.
videos are quickly outdated, and most of the time users making video tutorials don't even know what they are explaining, can't provide assistance in comments, and give bad advices. a lot of users following a video tutorial come to gbatemp to fix their consoles because of bad setup.

It's maybe harder to understand what you read if you are birth deaf, grammar and reading is harder?
We have a semi deaf user, he hears very badly and had a lot of communication problem when he joined the forum, he had difficulty to understand guides and we had difficulty to understand him in return as he typed as he signed, but he improved a lot ! we tend to reply the same way as he wrote, but it's not by disrespect, it just feels more helpful and understandable.
we are not only a gaming forum, we are like helping each others on all subjects and it's nice we can share about everything else.

Last edited by Cyan,

ELY_M

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already hacked my consoles. I dislike videos tuts too. only I like is watching others playing mario games.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wow I didn't know that :(
I’ve gotten by over the years. I know how to read lips and body language to understand a conversation. It’s worth noting that Lilith’s left ear being floppy is actually a small nod to me being deaf

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I’m Deaf member, also I’m very strong culturally Deaf and use ASL all time. I was born Deaf due to Usher Syndrome.

Reactions: ELY_M

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I actually have pretty sensitive sight and hearing (based on informal comparisons with the people around me)... the tradeoff is that I find it rather hard to focus on someone talking if I can hear others (whether it's news propaganda on TV, a song, or other people doing their business across the room...)

ELY_M

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost 10 years ago, I made this little strobe alarm for my wii.
It was cool. I am planning to make one for the switch.

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD