Another Wii Update

finite

Trophies
XP
Country
In a way I guess it is positive in so far as online games go and MK in particular. The easy signing of modified code is not good.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
gbpic said:
bailli said:
Trucha Signer doesn't sign the disc correctly (you would need the private RSA key only Nintendo and maybe some developers possess)

Do you think that Nintendo would give the key out to developers? There's no point, the developers have devkits that run unsigned code anyway. So, it would be silly to potentially give them the ability to leak the key.
smile.gif

By the way, who cares about WiiWare, and any minor bugs that this might fix? Just don't update until you absolutely need to. There's a saying for this kind of thing, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
tongue.gif

Well.. I care about WiiWare.. and I'm sure a lot of more people do
tongue.gif

And if they found a way to patch Trucha, the update will probably be out on Mario Kart and other popular games in the future..

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So all Datel has to do is do the Tweezers Attack to get the legit keys and then sign the Freeloader with the those keys, Then the big N couldn't do a thing?

Please correct me if i'm wrong
smile.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
stev418 said:
Strange, the link goes to the announcement by admin that states "This is not yet confirmed reliably so stay tuned for more information, or join in the discussion in the following thread. must be the wrong link
I'm going to assume you are referring to the link I made in the above post. That link is correct, it is the front page news story thread. Why do you say it must be wrong, the information in that first post isn't very complete but it has a link to the source of the info. I say the Admin must've agreed that the source was reliable or they wouldn't have put it on the front page. The Admin was careful not to state anything that hadn't been confirmed which is quite responsible IMHO.

Mr.kuchinawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I remember when consoles didn't have updates.. those were the days..
yaynds.gif

Okay, let me see if I got this straight: For my PAL D2Ckey (with japanese dualchannels BTW), an update will result in me not being able to play my patched Ntsc Brawl game? All my other backups will work, ja? Will my Wii ever be able to "force" me to update? When newer games come out that require the newest firmware, can't we just block the update with the brickblocker or something?

Oh, and another thing: Will a PAL brawl be able to use the save from my NTSC pal?

--Sorry if anything of this is obvious, I just want to be sure.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mr.kuchinawa said:
I remember when consoles didn't have updates.. those were the days..
yaynds.gif

Okay, let me see if I got this straight: For my PAL D2Ckey (with japanese dualchannels BTW), an update will result in me not being able to play my patched Ntsc Brawl game? All my other backups will work, ja? Will my Wii ever be able to "force" me to update? When newer games come out that require the newest firmware, can't we just block the update with the brickblocker or something?

Oh, and another thing: Will a PAL brawl be able to use the save from my NTSC pal?

--Sorry if anything of this is obvious, I just want to be sure.
At the moment (and PROBABLY until a new Wii Menu version [3.3?] is released) these things SHOULD be right. The current update that is being discussed will not noticeably change anything. Patched, Trucha signed games will work as will the Freeloader.
The Wii will PROBABLY never force an update as such. If you have it disconnected from the net and find out if your games have an update on them before running you'll be 100% (probably) safe. You should just be able to not accept any updates that are offered though, either internet or from a disc. You need to run some updates to let certain games play at the moment that may change in the future or may not.
As above, blocking an update may make the game unplayable. New games may not be able to be brickblocked, that we will have to see. Maybe something new will do this or make it unnecessary to do so.

No idea about the PAL - NTSC Brawl save thing, I'll take a guess and say no though. Maybe search around the forums and see if any other games will do this.

I too remember when consoles didn't need updates, more to the point console games didn't need patches! I don't think that's been an issue with the Wii though, maybe for some WiiWare titles it will be.
Some people probably would've been happy to be able to patch GH3 on the Wii. I don't think the Wii's memory is up to the job though.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
stev418 said:
ok, strange that they still have that guaranteed on all firmware statement on the product page?? Their site seems to be up to date. Maybe I should just buy one to try
wink.gif
I wouldn't put it past Datel to have the guarantee as something like "if it doesn't work send it back and if we can make a new version that works we'll send it out to you", they have had to release new versions of products before because they were blocked. I guess that means they can't assure what arrives in your hands will work at the time it gets to you.
It'd be great to get some more up to date info though, if you buy one please report back in detail.
finite said:
Don't update, but if Mario Kart comes out requiring IOS37 + a menu system update what you gonna do?What I'll do.. wait about 5 minutes before I crack and update.
boobooman said:
wow 10pages of if,but and maybe. Im pal and love trucha so no update for me now
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
hehe, if you don't like it maybe don't read my last post but then maybe if you do it'll be cool.
There are some facts out there but many people want to be careful about what they say on this. The wrong advice could lead to big problems for some users. The Wii Devs in the know are doing some amazing things but things can't be for sure until they happen. When Nintendo releases something it can be said to be what we can see it is, until then it's maybe.QUOTE(Mr.kuchinawa @ Mar 24 2008, 12:35 AM)
I see.. So what's all this about not updating?
Basically, this latest update is 'strongly believed' to contain the code to block certain exploits. It just cannot be activated until a new (as yet unreleased) Wii Menu update is installed. Some believe it will be better if you never get this first update. I'm not sure but am playing it safe (at least until MK comes out).

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
finite said:
In a way I guess it is positive in so far as online games go and MK in particular. The easy signing of modified code is not good.

My thoughts too. If all this does is stop trucha signed disks then I can live with that. Free online cheat free gaming is one of the Wii's big points at the moment. Once people started playing online with modified cheated disks then it will kill it all.

chadders

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
guys just to say, i didnt update my PAL wii till last night but i definatly had 2 messages in my mail, one for the wiiware update and another going on about some other update and all sorts dates in it when it was going to take affect. Just watchin the match but will check it out at half time and let u know what it says if no one all ready has???

Edit: sorry i had had a few drinks last night when i seen it, there is no dates but its going on about menu updates will be shown in thew disc channel from now on and that a new system menu is now available, did this update last night and im still on 3.2e!!

Luke NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright guys. I'm really confused. I use a Freeloader for Brawl. Is there another update after the WiiWare one? If yes, does it render my Freeloader useless? I just can't be bothered to read through 11 pages of mixed messages.

Edit: another question. I haven't downloaded the WiiWare update yet. Can I just download that one? Or do I immediately download the other one (too)?

Edit2: is the update available in Europe yet? That is important for me. I can still download the other one then (in that case)!

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Luke said:
Alright guys. I'm really confused. I use a Freeloader for Brawl. Is there another update after the WiiWare one? If yes, does it render my Freeloader useless?.

Yes there is a update. Nobody knows if it renders the freeloader useless. Wiibrew says it does, but don't just judge your options on one claim.

Luke said:
I just can't be bothered to read through 11 pages of mixed messages.

Ditto, but i just did.....

Luke said:
Edit: another question. I haven't downloaded the WiiWare update yet. Can I just download that one? Or do I immediately download the other one (too)?

If the update is real then you will immediately download it.

QUOTE(Luke @ Mar 23 2008, 03:39 PM)
Edit2: is the update available in Europe yet? That is important for me. I can still download the other one then (in that case)!

I'm not sure.

@Luke: Just don't update if you want to keep your freeloader, play it safe people!

Luke NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright, thanks! No more updates for me then. Until Mario Kart comes. Then I'll either wait for EU Brawl or.. that's my only option.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm starting to doubt now. I don't know for sure which fw I installed when updating: just the one with the wiiware update or the newer fw with the truchablock. is there any way to check that?

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kedest said:
I'm starting to doubt now. I don't know for sure which fw I installed when updating: just the one with the wiiware update or the newer fw with the truchablock. is there any way to check that?

When did you update? if it was before this news then you might be safe (as in you will have the wiiware update)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice