[Another] iDevice rant

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by cracker, May 11, 2015.

1. cracker
    OP

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Why oh why won't Apple let you unlock devices via an iTunes account?! This is truly stupid. I wonder how many people have lost tons of data over this. My niece locked with an accidental passcode (because it doesn't ask for it to be verified) and ended up getting it locked indefinitely. Since she is young, she didn't know enough to enable cloud synching and lost most of her pics/vids. Even allowing a sync to an authorized computer when locked should be a no-brainer!

Also, iTunes is a piece of crap and would get stuck installing on one of my computers and wouldn't restore from the authorized computer. If they are going to sell a cross-platform compatible device then they should make sure the software will actually work. :P

2. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    iTunes being a pain in the ass was the main reason why I switched to Android in the first place. Surprisingly, there are alot of people that get along just fine without having to use iTunes at all. The majority of people at my school have never even plugged their iPhones into a computer of any sorts other than to charge them.

3. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    iphone, ipod, ipad, iwatch, itune... iPaid :nayps3:

In a serious note, I got a better android phone for a fraction of the price I would have paid for an iphone.
    Also, itune is pain in the ass. It takes computers ressources for absolutely no reasons, convert all my music even if I didn't want to, and eat all my drive free space for "backups".

4. cracker
    OP

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Yeah, Android devices FTW (rooted or not).

Were the phones jailbroken? Even with cloud syncs I don't know how people manage on such limited smartphones. I guess they probably just don't care that they can't properly import downloaded music, run homebrew apps, have limited customization, etc. :rolleyes:

Not to mention it syncs everything non-DRM across different devices when used under the same user. The big problem is only being allowed 3 (iirc) authorized computers and you have to unauthorized the device via iTunes. If they go tits up (or possibly even just are formatted) then you lose a way to sync locally.

nxwing and VinsCool like this.
  5. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    iCry every time...

6. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    Not many people know what jailbreaking even does, let alone have tried it. Even a lot of android users in my school haven't bothered trying out another launcher other than their stock ones, hell, there are some that haven't even changed their wallpapers since they got it out of the box. Of course, there are those who are a bit more tech savvy and actually know what they can do with their devices, but I don't think that many people even care.

7. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    android drag and drop ftw

nxwing and VinsCool like this.
  8. cracker
    OP

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Especially devices that support drive emulation so you don't have to use MTP.

9. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    They all have their advantages and shortcomings

10. cracker
    OP

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Sans exclusive apps, I really can't think of a good reason to get an iDevice over an Android device.

11. Daku93

Daku93 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Yes it does… You need to enter the same code twice when first setting one up or later changing it.

12. cracker
    OP

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    I'll give you that since I've never put a passcode on one and just went on what my niece told me.

13. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    The only iDevice I ever have is the iPhone 3GS passed down from my parents. I only use it as a back-up in case my Android dies or something.
    The only reason I have iTunes os for syncing the music, I could use my Android for that but I'd rather use and old device with 32 GB for my music.

14. cracker
    OP

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    I guess I should add that I have an opt 2G 32GB so I'm not just hating on Apple for the sake of it. But honestly, the iOS and iTunes version numbers have changed a lot but most things have stayed the same. cydia on my 2G still beats the hell outta the current iOS. Only reason I keep it around is it cost so damn much and I couldn't get much return for it and it did have a great version of Pocket Tanks. :lol:

nxwing likes this.
  15. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Jist install PwnTunes on your device and you will never have to use iTunes again. It allows you to drag and drop files just like any USB device. On ANY COMPUTER WITHOUT needing to install anything.

16. eosia

eosia GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2010
    United States
    The fact that you or someone else can't use it doesn't entirely mean that its useless software. iCloud is a great thing and really easy to use, so you shouls try memorizing a secure password and use it on all of your idevices.

17. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    The downside is you need to be jailbroken and that'll void you warranty and it also isn't free.

18. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Jailbreaking is not really a downside.
    Restoring will give you your warranty back because it wipes all traces of jailbreak.
    PwnTunes can be free, if you know where to look.

19. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The University of Shitpostology
    There are ways to get paid stuff free from Cydia.

20. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Just in case you didn't know, I've tried looking for it and the results are the same. There is no known repo that hosts PwnTunes for free. Probably because it has a license thingy.

21. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The University of Shitpostology
    I have the repo that does have the latest version for free ;)

nxwing likes this.