Hacking another external drive question

waterch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is about external USB hard drive compatibility. I've modded a number of Wiis over the years and recently did another. I can play games, via Wiiflow, from my 2.5" external Toshiba drive, a 2.5" external WD drive, and a 64GB flash drive. However I have a couple of generic 500GB 2.5" hard drives (Matsunichi brand, Amazon ASIN B00EMDP8RG) that don't work. Neither does a 250GB m.2 SSD put into a generic external enclosure. Both of the latter two are formatted like all the drives that work (NTFS for Wii games only) and contain the same content as the drives that work. They just don't seem to be recognized by either the system or the loader (tried both Wiiflow and USBLoaderGX).

I would love to have to not buy another hard drive when I have three that should be working. I can rule out the modded Wii being the issue as everything works with one of the other hard drives or the flash drive plugged in. Are there any ideas why a specific external USB hard drive (2.5" drive or m.2 SSD) doesn't work? I'm stumped but I just can't get over the fact that these drives should work but they're not.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is about external USB hard drive compatibility. I've modded a number of Wiis over the years and recently did another. I can play games, via Wiiflow, from my 2.5" external Toshiba drive, a 2.5" external WD drive, and a 64GB flash drive. However I have a couple of generic 500GB 2.5" hard drives (Matsunichi brand, Amazon ASIN B00EMDP8RG) that don't work. Neither does a 250GB m.2 SSD put into a generic external enclosure. Both of the latter two are formatted like all the drives that work (NTFS for Wii games only) and contain the same content as the drives that work. They just don't seem to be recognized by either the system or the loader (tried both Wiiflow and USBLoaderGX).

I would love to have to not buy another hard drive when I have three that should be working. I can rule out the modded Wii being the issue as everything works with one of the other hard drives or the flash drive plugged in. Are there any ideas why a specific external USB hard drive (2.5" drive or m.2 SSD) doesn't work? I'm stumped but I just can't get over the fact that these drives should work but they're not.
Fat32 all drives and other drives might need external power

Reactions: jeannotte

waterch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks ... I could see the hard drives needing additional power as making sense. For the m.2 SSD, after additional searching here, I change the drive from GPT to MBR and that was the fix to allow it to worked (still currently with NTFS).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: