Hacking Another brick story...

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, after reading for more than 5hs about other bricks and about UUDv2, I'm lost.

What I did:
Got a 3.3k wii to softmod and change the language to english. I've done several japanese and european ones, hell, I've even softmodded 4.1 and 2.2 wiis.
- First step: Enable trucha bug.. done (downgrade IOS15, patch IOS36, restore IOS15). Done.
- Installed ios249, done.
- installed CIOSCORP 3.3, done.
- installed preloader.
- tested a game, done.
Now for a downgrade.
ARC doesn't work so, I'm going for CIOS Downgrader.
CIOS Downgrader is working fine, selected 3.2u and started downloading.
Downloaded completed,
Installing.
Install failed.
Wii restarting.
So, I think, install failed, everything should be ok.
Health and security shows up, press A to continue.
Black screen..

What I've tested: Universal Unbrick Disk v2.
Well, since I have 249 installed it should work.
Nah, it doesn't..

What now??
Yes, I have a modded original GC controller and the screen shows up 3.2k but the UUDv2 does not load.
Install a mod chip?? We don't have "drive keys" here.. (well, we do, but those cost around $150)..

Edit: added step- Preloader was installed and settings changed to open homebrew/preloader. so yes, I've installed it..

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idiotic replies are not welcomed...

dumb is someone that bricks his first wii.. This is like my 50th wii.. so, if you don't have something to add, SHUT THA HELL UP!

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wateva said:

dumb is someone that bricks his first wii.. This is like my 50th wii.. so, if you don't have something to add, SHUT THA HELL UP!

I have something to add, yes. You took a Korean Wii and decided in your ultimate wisdom not only to install another region's system menu, but ALSO to downgrade it. You said you have been searching for five hours to figure out what the problem was....and out of all of that searching you did not encounter any warning signs NOT to do either one of these? I didn't see any mention of any attempt to install bootmii or preloader either to add at least some kind of failsafe. So, yeah, pretty dumb.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Within 20 minutes of reading, it should be clear that downgrading anything is a VERY BAD decision. It's advised to simply update, even through Nintendo, and then use Trucha Bug Restorer to bring your Wii back to the sweet spot. So many new Wiis, so many incompatibilities, and downgrading may leave stubs that cause bricks. There's simply too many failure threads not to notice this right away.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yes ouch you downgraded a wii from another region?
it doesnt sound like someone who has done 50 wii's would have made that mistake.
if your still looking for a modchip i have an extra drivekey i can let go for cheap!
let me know!

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
Wateva said:

No... Stoopid is someone who bricks thier first wii because they didnt read things correctly..

DUMB is somebody who has been doing it to load,s bricks one and then gets surprised when it turns out they were DUMB
Dumb is also someone who posts crap replies like you to the people he is relying on help for soooooo

DOUBLE DUMB

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all wii's I've done I've downgraded from 3.3, 4.0 and 4.1. And most of the wii's were Japanese ones, so it IS possible, the only problem is that CIOS Downgrader failed on me. Usually I use AnyRegion Changer but it was giving me errors I was unable to find out solutions (ARC Offline edition).

yes, preloader WAS installed before trying the downgrade but it is NOT working. I press reset and nothing happens. Yes, I was searching for more than 5 hours but AFTER what happened.

If you have never downgraded a wii to a different region than you have never really played with a Wii..

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Downgrade ==> fail (not always but almost, and especially if it's the system menu or its IOS)

If the Wii is one of the new hardware revisions, it's bricked because you used cios downgrader, which downgrades IOS30 to a version that just does not work on these Wiis. If you had used ARC, it could have worked, and if that showed an error, that was the point where you have a problem and fix it, and if you couldn't do that, it was the point where you ask for help. But no, you preferred to brick the Wii.

Wateva said:

"dumb is someone that bricks his first wii"
true, but someone who bricks a Wii after hacking 50 Wiis is even dumber.

QUOTE(Wateva @ Sep 16 2009, 12:34 PM) In all wii's I've done I've downgraded from 3.3, 4.0 and 4.1. And most of the wii's were Japanese ones, so it IS possible, the only problem is that CIOS Downgrader failed on me. Usually I use AnyRegion Changer but it was giving me errors I was unable to find out solutions (ARC Offline edition).

yes, preloader WAS installed before trying the downgrade but it is NOT working. I press reset and nothing happens. Yes, I was searching for more than 5 hours but AFTER what happened.

If you have never downgraded a wii to a different region than you have never really played with a Wii..

I did not do anything in that direction, do you want to tell me that i know nothing about Wii hacking???

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help, not a lesson. I know it's not safe to downgrade, but that's the only wii I've downgraded to 3.2 that did caused problems..

ARC is safer than CIOS Downgrader 1.2 since it has it's own files instead of downloading the IOS's from the internet.

What I'm thinking is that the CIOS Downgrader did download a bad IOS (maybe a CRC when it was downloading) so it caused the bad downgrader..

Anyway, preloader WAS installed, it's possible to use something to make it start again?? Pressing RESET when turning the Wii on didn't work.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You got some problem that caused ARC to not work and instead of solving that problem, you decided to brick your Wii. If you don't get into preloader by pressing reset and don't get into the safe mode with the save mii method, i would say you have a nice not recoverable brick.

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From someone who has only ever modded their own Wii.

I thought preloader sat in the system files, the very act of downgrading would have wiped preloader out wouldn't it?

Why is BootMii not in your list of crucial things to do?

Ah well hope you have a large amount of paper to hold down?

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
preloader should still be there since the downgrade failed, that's what's puzzling me since all the downgrades I've done previously with ARC didn't wipe out the preloader..

Arendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well, if you downgrade, you install an older SM over your newer one, right?
so if preloader installs itself within the SM, and you replace that SM - even if it fails - it could have overwritten preloader... look at it like this: the first few lines of data are preloader, the others are the SM, if you start overwriting that system menu and it just happens to start at the top, it will overwrite preloader right at the start, even if it fails, preloader will be gone... (this is a basic idea of how it could happen, I don't know if this is really the way it goes though)

and don't get me wrong, I downgraded my wii when I first started modding my wii, but only because it was necessary back then (and even back then they warned thrice every guide that you had to be aware that newer WII's couldn't be downgraded the same way as the older ones, because of some new hardware or something that could only work with certain, new IOSes)... these days it isn't necessary anymore, the 4.0 and 4.1 system menu's both have the same exploid you could've easily used...

anyway, I think I agree with wiipower, you did something dumb and now you'll have to get nintendo to fix it for you...

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
well im sure this is a long shot..(being wiipower already posted and didnt mention it...this may not even work...but its a thought....I was thinking...if you have the recovery booting (ive done this froma bricked wii with STARFALL and i THINK (could be wrong here) that starfall is the same recovery mode....

SEEMS YOU ARE ON 3.2...

You can insert a commercial version Zelda Twilight Princess and run "the twilight hack" then even if preloader isnt working you should be able to run the DOL or ELF file of any app from there
wink.gif
(i would reinstall preloader if its not loading maybe bootmii if you can..)

Ios sanity check (I would run this and post the log that it produces maybe this will help others to help you if they know more about whats going on)

Anytitle Deleter (BE CAREFUL but you can use this tool to illiminate any wads or channels that might be an issues DO NOT REMOVE IOS rather OVERWRITE BAD IOS if your gonna do anything your better overwriting removing ios can make things worse/perma-brick)

CiosCorps (though contriversal I HAVE PERSONALLY USED IT to fix a bricked wii...This can install missing IOS needed to increase the functionality and control over a wii (yes even with a modchip it is very useful) after a ios sanity check you should know if you wanna run it or not
wink.gif
...BUT IT WORKS...

Another thing yoiu could try is to do the downgrade BACK to a 3.2K maybe this will allow you to get your system menu back running and "try other things"
wink.gif

None of these are iron clad solutions for that i appoligize...But these are a few things you can think about at the very least...Best of luck
frown.gif

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting myself a DriveKey now to try to use the Universal Unbrick Disc v2..

CIOSCorp is one of the packages I do use and I do enjoy it. Of course I do have the extra backup loader and WADs installed manually just in case (since wii sports resort doesn't work with the main disc channel on the 1st try with cioscorp).

The weirdest thing is.. IOS249 IS installed but UUDv2 doesn't boot, this is why I'm getting myself a drivekey to test it out.

My issue might be related exclusively to the KOREAN wii since japanese and european wiis are easily downgraded from 3.3/3.4 to 3.2 (I usually downgrade instead of upgrade) and since it worked without issues than I'm sure it's something related to the KOREAN wii or the CIOS Downgrader (since ARC was giving me errors).

I know, I should have stopped there but, hey, I'm used to downgrade, so, what's the worst that could happen. Well, it happened. ^^

It's dumb? Not so sure about that. Maybe I'm just an idiot of trying a different program instead of thinking "Hey, ARC doesn't work so there might be some issues here".. The biggest problem is, the client DEMANDED English (and he paid for it) so I do have to do it. It's my fault and if I can't fix it I just can't send it to Nintendo cuz I'm not from US. Here we don't have Wii's through the regular import channels, just a grey market. So, I'm stuck with a dead wii until I can figure out what to do.

Next step: Install DriveKey and use the UUDv2 to go back to 3.2k (weird thing is that the health & security is in english now)... I'll update this thread as soon as I can after testing with the DriveKey..

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which Twilight should I get? I've tried to install 3.2U and the savemiifrii shows 3.2(kor)..

Nothing is working.. Do I have to program the drivekey to autoboot or it comes pre-programmed with the feature? Because if it comes with autoboot already enabled than I have nothing. I've set the DriveKey to US, JAP, EU, KOR and nothing.. Drive spins but nothing is loaded when using UUDv2..
frown.gif

Seems I have a white paperweight now.. Sux to be me now.
Remembering:
- Installed all things the same order I did below,
- Sysmenu was on 3.3k
- Downgraded using CIOS Downgrader to 3.2u
- Health&Security screen is in english
- savemiifrii shows 3.2k...
- DriveKey isn't autobooting the disks..

To those thinking that downgrading isn't possible, I did two 3.3u (originally those wiis were korean ones - someone did change from K to U) downgrade today to 3.2u.. both working 100% and the preloader was still installed even after the downgrade.
On the wiis I did today:
- did the trucha bug,
- installed cios 14,
- installed WADs+backup loader
- installed CIOSCorp 3.3 (don't flame me, it works flawlessly here)
- installed preloader
- downgraded
- set the preloader to block updates and all settings
- backups are working, so, yes, preloader stays even AFTER the downgrade.
Game tested: Wii Resort Sports.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I did not expect that you get into the svemiifrii screen. Try to update with US or KOR games that have 3.3 or higher.

Wateva said:
[...]
To those thinking that downgrading isn't possible, I did two 3.3u (originally those wiis were korean ones - someone did change from K to U) downgrade today to 3.2u.. both working 100% and the preloader was still installed even after the downgrade.
[...]

You really refuse to learn. You killed the Wii with the IOS downgrade, not the system menu downgrade.

"backups are working, so, yes, preloader stays even AFTER the downgrade." So that's how you think stuff works, now i know i should not be surprised by the stuff you do. READ READ READ, you know nothing!

FiveseveN

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
I did not expect that you get into the svemiifrii screen. Try to update with US or KOR games that have 3.3 or higher.

Wateva said:
[...]
[...]

You really refuse to learn. You killed the Wii with the IOS downgrade, not the system menu downgrade.

"backups are working, so, yes, preloader stays even AFTER the downgrade." So that's how you think stuff works, now i know i should not be surprised by the stuff you do. READ READ READ, you know nothing!

I agree with WiiPower. I read this whole thread and realized that you don't care what people are telling you. You have disregarded many people that have tried to help you with your situation. Instead of listening you have continued to defend your actions on the downgrade and "prove" what works and what does not. At the end of the day you will still have a paper weight until you start to listen when you ask for help. I hope you fix this Wii for the fact that it is for a client and not yourself. I want to clarify that I am not trying to disrespect you I just want you to understand that you need to take the time to listen when you ask for help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I just got 2 mig switch in the mail today
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna love it when the next update blocks them
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father