Announcing: Project Scarlet Open Beta

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice program ! You should consider to open source it.
wink.gif

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
macgeek417 said:
protip: GTK+ makes cross-platform easy.

Scarlet is written in C++ using wxWidgets, mysql C api and libcurl.

These are all fully cross-platform compatible. There are however fundamental differences in how
different OSes handles devices, and we have not yet developed a solution for this for Mac or Linux.

gutman5000 said:
This looks great but question time:

Is this a online library of homebrew from filetrip listing ones you've download and one's you haven't,
or is it a manager where it lists your homebrew from a folder
and lets you download updates etc plus other homebrew you don't have (like a game manager but not for games
biggrin.gif
).

Though the two descriptions sound the same they aren't.
Thanks
I am not sure if I understand your question correctly but I will attempt to answer it, although perhaps a bit indirectly.

Scarlet lists all NDS homebrew available on filetrip, and marks what you have downloaded (by checking the Scarlet subfolder \Homebrew for whether the homebrew is present there)
in bold.

In addition it lists connected flashcarts that homebrew is installed to in the fourth column on their line in the homebrew list, and creates a category in the upper left corner with the name of your flashcart along with its path which you can click to get a list of all homebrew installed to that device, and their installed version (with newest version in parenthesis if there is a newer version, in which case it will also be marked as red).

So yes, Scarlet does let you download updates and notifies you about newer versions of installed homebrew by marking it in red and putting it in the Updates category in the upper left corner.

1Player said:
This is great...Is there a plugin for dstwo??

DSTwo is detected, and if there is a firmware update you will be notified and can update it.

All devices that don't have detectable firmware will still show up as "Unknown" and work as well as any detected device apart from not getting firmware updates.

QUOTE(Bunie @ Aug 22 2010, 06:22 AM) Bug report!
ohmy.gif
clicking the homebrew "Balik Bayan DevWifi" crashes Scarlet.

Thank you very much for the report, it really helps.

We'll try to fix this as soon as possible.

QUOTE(squirrelman10 @ Aug 22 2010, 06:32 AM)
could this be the start of homebrew channel? i know stormwave wanted to get it just on the ds flashcarts themselves, anyways is there like a .nds to sync from this server to the ds to transfer files wirelessly? or is it just drag and drop?
We did consider developing a client for the DS to allow transferring files wirelessly, but where put off by the very limited wireless capabilities that the console has.

At this point it seems unlikely that we create one in the future, as USB transfer is simply more efficient.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Double post because of quote limit.

jurassicplayer said:
Something that I should have thought of asking during the tempcast, but how does Scarlet detect the homebrew on the flashcart? I know Scarlet can detect what flashcart I'm using (it displayed correctly), but none of my homebrew, although in the "Homebrew" folder, showed up in Scarlet.

Homebrew has to be in a subfolder with its name in the homebrew subfolder of the flashcart to be detected.

Install something and see how it is put on the device.

jurassicplayer said:
I'm guessing that it will probably have something to do with the script for each homebrew...but I'm just poking in the dark (it would be nice to have it check by CRC).

At this point scripts are only for configuring settings of homebrew and making sure files are copied correctly (for instance the lemmingsDS script copies the settings file to the root of the flashcart which is where it has to be).

We considered having Scarlet try and detect homebrew in other places on the cart by comparing the files to a database (could for example check CRC), but this would take a long time to implement and will unlikely be a priority at this point.

jurassicplayer said:
Also, will we have the ability to rename the file when we install the homebrew into the mSD, because a large majority of the time, I rename all of the homebrew to some nicer names (I don't like internal names because some homebrew don't change them from the default).

Well, as the homebrew is installed to its own subfolder which has the name as seen on filetrip rather than normal filename, there will hopefully be no need to rename.

jurassicplayer said:
On the bug report from Bunie, I think that is just a random crash. I can click on "Balik Bayan DevWifi" just fine.

Thanks for pointing out that this works for you.

jurassicplayer said:
Either Scarlet or Vista seems to fail at something after I close Scarlet because the all mighty "[insert program here] has stopped working" popup always appears after closing.

Thanks for the bug report.

We have only tested Scarlet on XP and Windows 7 where we have not seen this problem.

Posts merged

Triple post because of quote limit.

QUOTE(Mbmax @ Aug 22 2010, 07:41 AM)
Nice program ! You should consider to open source it.
wink.gif

Currently, we are not considering open source.

This might or might not change in the future.

QUOTE(Demonbart @ Aug 22 2010, 10:23 AM)
Nice work!
yay.gif

Suggestion time, maybe it would be cool o integrate download from other homebrew sites as well, and/or romhack patches from romhacking.net

Rather than this, to me the better solution seems to be to upload any homebrew available on these sites to FileTrip.

I suggest this to you and everyone else, so that the best community can have the best database!

Also, maybe something should be done about that quote limit so there is no need for tripe posts?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Urza said:
Through a collaboration between FileTrip, Urza, and developer Mazor, we are proud to bring you Project Scarlet: the first real homebrew manager for the Nintendo DS.Ermm - not to put a damper or anything on this, but have any of this team got in contact with Stormwave ???

He had put a post up about a nds program that would do something similar to what this sound like, except it downloads the homebrew direct to the DS, and he's been waiting since July this year for a reply from a GBATemp admins... something about 'server side of things'

QUOTE(1Player @ Aug 22 2010, 05:04 AM) This is great...Is there a plugin for dstwo??
Well as mentioned above - Stormwave put a suggestion forward (& also made a start on a small app for the DS). But as already said above - he's been waiting for a reply from the Temp staff

In the post I've linked to - we already know that the 'interface' part of it worked on the following cards
  • DStwo
    N5/R4clones (not all have been tested though)
    Ak2i
    M3izero
    iEdge

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
Does "Scarlet" in the program name mean anything special?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to say. Great work to everyone who was involved. I don't use my DS much any more but I'm sure many will find this useful for keeping organized.
smile.gif

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Urza said:
Through a collaboration between FileTrip, Urza, and developer Mazor, we are proud to bring you Project Scarlet: the first real homebrew manager for the Nintendo DS.
Ermm - not to put a damper or anything on this, but have any of this team got in contact with Stormwave ???

He had put a post up about a nds program that would do something similar to what this sound like, except it downloads the homebrew direct to the DS, and he's been waiting since July this year for a reply from a GBATemp admins... something about 'server side of things'
From a hardware standpoint the DS simply isn't capable of supporting such software.

As far as stormwave, no, I hadn't heard of him until being mentioned in this thread.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Urza said:
From a hardware standpoint the DS simply isn't capable of supporting such software.So how does the app 'DS2 tools' manage to download & install 'skins',EOS Shell, ds1patch.dat and NDSGBA files ?? - it sure doesn't use the DSTwo extra CPU/memory as it was made before the SDK came out

QUOTEAs far as stormwave, no, I hadn't heard of him until being mentioned in this thread.
Hmm - I wonder which person(s) he PM'd then ??

gotchapt

Trophies
XP
Country
Consider showing the size of each homebrew and a option to cancel download.

I was downloading moonshell and I forgot it was huge, but I couldn't cancel it
frown.gif

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
Bug!!!

QUOTE said:
- Select Category of Homebrew
- Select the homebrew
- Click Download
- When Download Interrupts I click download again
- Message shows "Cannot start installation of because no device is available."
- Then i just stucked there and cant download the homebrew

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, I'll be the first and say I'm a dirty pirate who got his flashcart souly for pirating games, hurrhurr.

But the ease of his homebrew finder may add a new function to my flashcart.

F$#%G homebrew, how does it work?!

gallade

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After x seconds/minutes the programm stops (in scarlet.exe a fault has appeared and has to be shut down. Do you want to tell microsoft about this? (hope I translated it correct)) After that I have to unpack the rar again and throw the old one away otherwise it gives this message while opening the programm after the first time this fault has appeared.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Congratulations on the project and first release. It's a great idea as it can be quite easy to forget to keep up with homebrew.

Vinsent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raing3 said:
Does "Scarlet" in the program name mean anything special?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to say. Great work to everyone who was involved. I don't use my DS much any more but I'm sure many will find this useful for keeping organized.
smile.gif

I'm tempted to say it has something to do with the Touhou Project, since it's using Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil's icon.

Stormwave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys, looks like a nice program you've made here
smile.gif

As has been stated earlier in this thread, I was working on "HBWare", a similar program for the DS. I programmed installation scripts, zip file extraction, rom launcher etc, but was waiting for a solution to the server side things.

Just out of curiosity, are the homebrews used in your program repackaged? Or does your program support RAR, zip and 7z straight from FileTrip? Does it have a seperate database, or does it only list the FileTrip downloads in a considerably easier manner?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F