Android Video Player with Keyboard shortcuts

Discussion in 'Android' started by Pleng, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Pleng
    OP

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    I have an Android TV Box which I use for playing network media. I currently use MX Player, which has the basic "space for pause" keyboard shortcut, but what I would really like is a player than can assign more keyboard shortcuts; specifically to toggle between aspect ratios and zoom types.

I've had a search on the Play store and tried a few; including the VLC nighties, but none of them so far have had any keyboard shortcuts (the VLC developers must have actually physically removed them from the Android build..! :wacko:). So, short of developing my own one, does anybody know of a video player that does feature said shortcuts?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am not sure if it retained it on its trip to android (it is in every other build I have tried in recent times though) but XBMC should have this, or at least have it as a selectable option. Mapping might take fiddling with an ini/xml file but nothing too drastic.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=keymap

3. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Try MX Player. It is the best player I have tried. It supports kb shortcuts, though I've never used them.

4. Pleng
    OP

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    thanks for the responses guys

FAST6191 Xbmc is far too heavyweight for my little Android box :) Plus I have a nice launcher and media browser already; so I'm just looking for an app to actually play the videos

cracker MX Player is what I use at the moment and, no, it doesn't support the keyboard shortcuts that I need. The developer is one of the many Android developers that don't respond to emails, unfortunately. Kind of wish I hadn't paid for the pro version now.

5. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Oh damn! I don't know how I missed that.

003fbb7bed40cfb035659fa03fec6651.jpg

6. Pleng
    OP

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    final call before I give up :(

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    XBMC shouldn't really be too "heavy weight" for your Android box if it was made in the last 2 years. I've got a 3 year old tablet that runs it well, and this is about the only option you'd have for Android at this point.

I always thought MX Player had customizable keyboard shortcuts though :unsure: Looking at the options, this doesn't seem to be the case. If you can look at the gestures for each action in the Player settings under "Touch Controls", you might be able to map keyboard keys to touchscreen actions which should give you what you need. Might have to setup and use a separate keyboard input whenever watching videos, though, but that's only a small annoyance.

8. Pleng
    OP

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    XBMC is definately too heavyweight for my TV Box

To be honest that's pretty much on the same level of annoyance as having to change the aspect ratio and zoom manually with the touchpad, so doesn't really save any time.

I guess it'll end up being a case of downloading the VLC source and trying to re-enable the keyboard shortcuts that the developers have so kindly taken OUT of the Android build :wacko: