Android mini PC sticks

Discussion in 'Android' started by WatchGintama, Jan 12, 2013.

Jan 12, 2013

Android mini PC sticks by WatchGintama at 10:28 PM (1,064 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. WatchGintama
    OP

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Hi,

Does anyone have experience with android PC sticks? Stuff like the MK802, Uhost, Minix, etc. I'm looking to buy one.

I'd like it to have stable wifi. The MK802 is known for dropping wifi connections frequently. I'm just looking for an inexpensive stick to stream netflix, hulu, Youtube, ESPN, XBMC, etc.

My budget is around $60.

Or should pre-order an OUYA? It seems like it'll get a lot of support.

2. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    It doesn't have bluetooth. That'll limit you from using a Wiimote or a PS3 controller, a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, or a bluetooth remote.

An OUYA would eat that thing for lunch spec-wise, but... The OUYA now has a fan and could be noisy. We won't know until we get one.

The OUYA is going to get a ton of support from hackers and tinkerers because it is cheap and relatively powerful. Plus, rooting it won't void your warranty.

If you need some more justification on the OUYA, remember that it's coming with a controller.

431unknown likes this.
  3. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Go for the Ouya. Its the better deal.

4. WatchGintama
    OP

United States
    I dunno though. The tegra 3 will be outdated by OUYA release. By then, there will be RK3188 and tegra 4. Even the Exynos 5 Octa was just announced.
    Basically it depends on how long I can wait. :unsure:

Also, my TV can already do Netflix/Hulu/YT/DLNA on its own. But I'd love flash player, torrenting, and mkv playback on my TV.

5. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    h.264 mkv*

6. WatchGintama
    OP

United States
    Ya. Also would like to do hi10p stuff but android can't do that yet.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    If you already have Netflix and stuff on your TV, then I would suggest getting a Raspberry Pi. The only downside is no wireless, but you could always just buy a small wifi adapter.

8. IBNobody

United States
    It won't be outdated. It just won't be the latest gen. That doesn't matter much. The dirty little secret on Android is that games that only run on the "latest and greatest" processors don't sell very well and are likely not to be greenlit.

The Tegra 3 has long legs. It was used on the Nexus 7, which developers love.

Finally, you may not want one of these little HDMI sticks if you plan to do torrenting. They draw all their power from the HDMI port. If the TV is off, does the thing still get power?

9. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Not even with vlc for android?

10. WatchGintama
    OP

United States
    UPDATE:
    Well, I went and ordered an MK802 II. It was only $38 on amazon (the authentic version too.)

Setup:
    First thing after turning on, I flashed a new rom (Unlock MK802 II). After that, my MK802 II was fast, stable and usable. Flashing was easy (download rom, use Phoenixcard to burn to SD, put SD in device, done.)

Playback test:
    Inception 1080p bluray and Ace Attorney DVDR played fine. However, some of my anime files (10-bit) stuttered or freezed in MXPLAYER. Oddly, some worked fine (Horriblesubs Gintama 249).

Video streaming:
    Netflix loaded a bit slow, but the video played fine when fully loaded. YouTube was fine too.

Torrenting:
    This is what made me really happy. I got 1MB/s speeds, which is as fast as my computer/internet can go.

Overall:
    I'm very happy with my purchase. I'll be using this instead of my computer to watch/DL movies. :)
    Videos

11. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I've always wanted to grab one of these things, "just because". I have a Raspberry Pi that I still have yet to set up, which is going to accomplish pretty much the same thing, but... still.

12. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Does your Android stick work well with Bluetooth controllers or USB ones?

13. WatchGintama
    OP

United States
    MK802 II doesn't have bluetooth. But I do know that it works with usb controllers.

14. IBNobody

United States
    In regards to your stuttering video...

Try a different media player. I use Mobo Player, MX Player, and the stock Samsung one. I switch between them. They all support hardware decoding, but they must use different setups or something.

I ran into a video last night where the stock player actually outperformed the big guys. MX and Mobo would stutter, but the stock player was smooth as silk.