Android Market's most popular emulators disappear

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, May 29, 2011.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    [​IMG]
    If you're an Android gamer, chances are you've heard of Nesoid, Snesoid, Gensoid, N64oid, Ataroid, Gearoid and Gameboid: they're all video game console emulators developed by yongzh, and many ranked among the most popular paid apps on the Android Market. This week, they've got something else in common, too -- they've all been abruptly removed. Following a complaint from Sega, two emulators were nixed late last month, but we're hearing that Google has since revoked yongzh's developer privileges, just like PSX4Droid comrade-in-arms ZodTTD. We're currently reaching out to both yongzh and Google for comment, and hope to hear back soon, but it's looking like a bleak week for the emulation community.

Update: We got in touch with yongzh (or Yong Zhang, as he's known in real life) to discuss the matter, and he confirms that his developer account has been removed and his apps pulled without warning -- cutting off his primary source of income and leaving him with an inbox stuffed with worried email from customers. He has, however, already migrated a number of emulators to third-party app store SlideME, where they'll be free for a while, allowing existing customers to get updates without paying a second time, and likely helping a number of new individuals to mooch off his troubles. He's not too optimistic about his prospects at SlideME, though. [/p]
    [​IMG] Source (Engadget)
    [​IMG] yongzh at SlideME
    [​IMG] latest PSX4Droid from ZodTTD's blog

2. XAlexBlitz209X

Member XAlexBlitz209X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm glad for [censored] because it still has these apps including n64oid

3. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    What a constructive post, I just doubt anyone wants to pay $500 for some emulators.

Besides, they're being ported over to a third-party app store like the first post said.

4. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    and they're free at slideME right now, i'm downloading them from the SAM app as i type

5. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Meh. Emulators are kinda crappy on my phone anyway. My SNES emulator works ok, even plays Starwing, but it's slow and for reasons unknown doesn't support multi-touch, so I have to stop moving in order to shoot anything, and can't barrel roll to the side. My PSP's SNES emulator plays everything except Starwing pretty much perfectly. So why would I bother with the phone one? Starfox 64 will be out on 3DS soon anyway, giving me the complete package.

6. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    I guess these things happen and he knew it was a possibility as there is always going to be copyright issues when it comes to things like this, I'm sure I read something about the Sega emulators a few weeks back as Sega was going to release some of their classic games on the marketplace [​IMG]

Oh well if you can still get them then no real problem has been caused [​IMG]

7. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Except that this guy lost his primary income source.

8. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It's nothing to do with Nintendo or other companies, this man is using open source (licensed) code and charging for it.

Edit: spelling.

9. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Bad news for Android users [​IMG] Lets see what happens in the coming days.

10. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Sorry didn't specify no real problem to the users [​IMG] Shame about him losing money though, especially in this day and age

11. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Making money off emulators that play copyrighted material, how could anyone even put them up on their store for money? The guy is just another crook by selling his product which runs illegal copies of games, that's worse then those of us who pirate, at least we aren't paying for emulators to do it.

12. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Yes but he could of intended it to be used for homebrew games made for that system ect which are not illegal [​IMG]

13. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Oh ffs, I'm sick and tired of this bs argument. Everyone and their grandmother knows that the only reason an emulator is created is to run copy-written roms.

14. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    lol, that's a joke, his apps used to come with ROM Gripper as an add on, which downloaded official games for free, ROM gripper got pulled a while ago

15. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    I know I have it on my HTC Desire [​IMG] But in legal terms he could say he never intended it to be used for illegal roms [​IMG]

''Oh ffs, I'm sick and tired of this bs argument. Everyone and their grandmother knows that the only reason an emulator is created is to run copy-written roms. ''

We all know what we use it for and why they do it but but they have to say that to save their back in legal cases, so the argument is never going to end because the moment they admit the real intention they have something to be sued over [​IMG]

16. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    these are real dark times for android, real dark times, 1st it was the psx emu and now all of them? no way man, next time i buy a phone it will be linux open-source that way i can do the hell i want with it.

17. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Oh yes because the whole of the android user base bought them for Emulators which are still available, and because it's android doesn't change the choice to take it off, they would still try if it was Linux, it would just be a bit more difficult but then remember if it was a linux open source phone then it would have a very minimal customer base and so you would not take in money like people like HTC or even Apple do with their Phones

18. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    you can't do what ever the hell you want with it if there are no apps for it (referring to MeeGo)

P.S. Android is linux-based and open source

19. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I have to agree with some people. His emulators are solid and all, but he is effectively taking free open source code and charging people for it. Snesoid is a port of SNES9x, and the authors at the official website are rather irritated over it. Someone else made a free port of snes9x- snes9x ex. Specifically made to show people that it's not supposed to cost anything.

I wanted to mention though- yongzh removed n64oid himself due to complaints that the preliminary releases weren't compatible or fast enough. He intended to remove it and work on it for a month or two before rereleasing it back on the market in a fixed form. I would assume that this new crackdown will be his end.

20. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    If anyone's interested, you can get a touch controlled remake of NES classic Duck Hunt on the Android App Market. Same graphics, same music, same gameplay. Just no light gun. Worth a look. Can't shoot the dog though [​IMG]

So it's not all doom and gloom. There are other emulators around anyway.