Android Android kill battery?

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It runs a lot of background apps, sometimes even when you're not using them.
I use Advanced Task Manager's widget to kill unwanted apps and free RAM every once in a while. There are also apps like juicedefender, though I've never used them so I don't know what they do.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
As mentioned, a lot of apps run in the background that may lead to poor battery life. Advanced Task Killer is an app that may help resolve some issues if used properly. If you're on Gingerbread, the Battery Use monitor in the menu can let you kill off apps that take up the most battery life. I found that killing off Facebook whenever I'm not using it helped me extend my battery by nearly 15 hours (no joke).

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
As mentioned, a lot of apps run in the background that may lead to poor battery life. Advanced Task Killer is an app that may help resolve some issues if used properly. If you're on Gingerbread, the Battery Use monitor in the menu can let you kill off apps that take up the most battery life. I found that killing off Facebook whenever I'm not using it helped me extend my battery by nearly 15 hours (no joke).
using a task killer properly

generally, just don't use task managers, the most effective way to increase battery life is setting all constantly updating applications, widgets, processes to update less frequently, root your phone and remove all of the bloat, and, if you're feeling adventurous, putting on a custom ROM

if you could just tell us what phone you're using we should be able to help more

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
@spinal: Can't vouch for your particular phone - but I can vouch that having something like 'Airplane Autoswitch' to switch the phone into 'flight mode' automatically when you're sure you won't need it (i.e. when your sleeping) can definitely save on battery drain

Before I had it, I was losing ~15-20% (from full charge) overnight on my DeisreHD, but now I only lose ~2%

Another 'tip' is reduce screen brightness - I usually have it @ 20% which is fine for me while indoors, & if I need to look @ phone while outside - I have a 'Brightness Toggle' button (part of Wigetsoid BTW) which I can press to switch it up to 80% when needed (pressing it again toggles it back down to 20%). I would've normally used the 'autobrightness' function - but on the DesireHD it take a few seconds to actual change the screen brightness, which I find is a little too long IMHO

Maid-chan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
Terminator02 said:
CarbonX13 said:
using a task killer properly

generally, just don't use task managers, the most effective way to increase battery life is setting all constantly updating applications, widgets, processes to update less frequently, root your phone and remove all of the bloat, and, if you're feeling adventurous, putting on a custom ROM

if you could just tell us what phone you're using we should be able to help more

If you ask my phone, see my signature
rolleyes.gif

Also... is it safe to rooting phone?

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's safe as long as you're not deleting system files or anything like that.

All "rooting" is, is giving yourself full permission to change what you want in your phone that the developers didn't want you to change.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
mahisa88 said:
If you ask my phone, see my signature
rolleyes.gif

Also... is it safe to rooting phone?
Rooting is definitely safe. It's what you do after rooting that is questionable. I have an Xperia Arc as well, and rooting it took only around 3 minutes. Never had any issues, and I've never looked back since. I love rooted Android.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Flat Pudding said:
What am I scared is rooting phone makes brick on phone
dry.gif
I'm am/was in the same situation - I didn't want to 'root' the phone in case I bricked it - but I NEEDED to root it IF I wanted to block the ads (Being on PAYG I didn't want to download ads each time I played Angry birds)

I think the best way of explaining 'rooting' was made by CarbonX13
QUOTERooting is definitely safe. It's what you do after rooting that is questionable.
Try to think of it as Window's 'Administrator' and 'Guest' accounts

• With a 'Unrooted' phone - you (the user) have a 'Guest' account, meaning you can use the phone as the administrator deems fit, restricting you from doing any serious damage like 'editing the registry' or 'deleting essential files' but they will allow you to install programs
  • With a 'Rooted' phone - you now have a 'Administrator' account - allowing you to do more than normal.
    This means you'll can NOW alter things you couldn't as a 'guest'

Now IF you start mucking about with the phone essential files, deleting files, replacing the ROM with a custom version etc - then YES you can easily brick the phone (It's a bit like if you started deleting SYS or DLL files from the '/Windows/' folder willy-nilly - you'll most probably bugger that up)
BUT if you only alter files that are deemed 'safe' (usually 'Theres an app for that !!'
laugh.gif
wink.gif
) then there is no chance of bricking.

For example - with a rooted phone (& in fact also with Windows) you'll be able to edit the 'HOST' file to block certain websites - very handy to prevent ads from showing up or restricting the young ones from visiting unsavory sites.
This is a 'safe' file to alter & even if you did anything wrong - it won't brick the phone & is easily repairable

Additional: In fact I believe that there's additional safety features
- You are unable to install a custom ROM onto the phone if something called 'S-Off' is not 'on' (or is it 'off) & I THINK (some1 can confirm this) that there is also a 'Recovery' mode on Android phones (not too sure what this actually allows you to do though - is it some type of 'system backup' ??)

Maid-chan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
CannonFoddr said:
Flat Pudding said:
What am I scared is rooting phone makes brick on phone
dry.gif
I'm am/was in the same situation - I didn't want to 'root' the phone in case I bricked it - but I NEEDED to root it IF I wanted to block the ads (Being on PAYG I didn't want to download ads each time I played Angry birds)

I think the best way of explaining 'rooting' was made by CarbonX13
QUOTERooting is definitely safe. It's what you do after rooting that is questionable.
Try to think of it as Window's 'Administrator' and 'Guest' accounts

• With a 'Unrooted' phone - you (the user) have a 'Guest' account, meaning you can use the phone as the administrator deems fit, restricting you from doing any serious damage like 'editing the registry' or 'deleting essential files' but they will allow you to install programs
  • With a 'Rooted' phone - you now have a 'Administrator' account - allowing you to do more than normal.
    This means you'll can NOW alter things you couldn't as a 'guest'

Now IF you start mucking about with the phone essential files, deleting files, replacing the ROM with a custom version etc - then YES you can easily brick the phone (It's a bit like if you started deleting SYS or DLL files from the '/Windows/' folder willy-nilly - you'll most probably bugger that up)
BUT if you only alter files that are deemed 'safe' (usually 'Theres an app for that !!'
laugh.gif
wink.gif
) then there is no chance of bricking.

For example - with a rooted phone (& in fact also with Windows) you'll be able to edit the 'HOST' file to block certain websites - very handy to prevent ads from showing up or restricting the young ones from visiting unsavory sites.
This is a 'safe' file to alter & even if you did anything wrong - it won't brick the phone & is easily repairable

Additional: In fact I believe that there's additional safety features
- You are unable to install a custom ROM onto the phone if something called 'S-Off' is not 'on' (or is it 'off) & I THINK (some1 can confirm this) that there is also a 'Recovery' mode on Android phones (not too sure what this actually allows you to do though - is it some type of 'system backup' ??)

WOW! This is what information I waiting for~!
Thank you very much! Yo're my hero
hrth.gif

Maid-chan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
okay 1 more question... I already rooted my phone with gingerbreak v1.2 .And I add busybox in it. My question is, is it safe if I update it from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3?

P.S. : after root, is my phone need more app to rooting?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Flat Pudding said:
WOW! This is what information I waiting for~!
Thank you very much! Yo're my hero
hrth.gif
No problems - but I MUST add a disclaimer though.....

The info I've given is My view as to what 'rooting' does
- it may or may not be accurate or even correct (I'm new to Android and Rooting myself).

I would suggest waiting to see if any1 else can confirm/deny my point of view first, or perhaps give a better explaination - before even attempting rooting your phone (Just to be extra safe)

Each phone (I believe) has different 'rooting' methods
- in my case, My DesireHD had an app called 'Visionary+' that allowed either 'temp root' or a more permanent 'root' (temp root meant that if I switched off/on the phone the 'root' feature would disappear)

But it doesn't/didn't give me 'S-off' function though - so no Custom ROM loading/Delete 'standard apps' was available, but I believe this App is for HTC phones only (& even then a limit few). For any other phones the method may be different

EDIT: Oooppss looks like my warning was a little too late
ohmy.gif
You've already rooted it
laugh.gif

Can't help with that info - sorry

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
never rooted my HTC desire HD

but then again why need to?

i just got Taskiller to sort out battery

i have loads of games and stuff

no real reason to root it
but i think you can get a app that roots you the phone on boot

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Flat Pudding said:
okay 1 more question... I already rooted my phone with gingerbreak v1.2 .And I add busybox in it. My question is, is it safe if I update it from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3?
It depends on how you are going to update your Xperia Arc. The more common way people are updating is through FlashTool and flashing the 2.3.3 ROM onto the phone, since Sony Ericsson or their carrier hasn't pushed out an update yet. This, however, effectively removes the root, and GingerBreak does not support 2.3.3 yet, meaning you're pretty much stuck without root.

There is a method someone discovered though. It requires you to flash a generic ROM running 2.3.2, root the phone with Gingerbreak, and then perform the Over-the-Air Update to 2.3.3. More details over here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs