Android kill battery?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Maid-chan, Jun 18, 2011.

Jun 18, 2011

Android kill battery? by Maid-chan at 5:39 AM (1,965 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Maid-chan
    OP

Member Maid-chan GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
    Why Android always consume so much battery?

2. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It runs a lot of background apps, sometimes even when you're not using them.
    I use Advanced Task Manager's widget to kill unwanted apps and free RAM every once in a while. There are also apps like juicedefender, though I've never used them so I don't know what they do.

3. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    As mentioned, a lot of apps run in the background that may lead to poor battery life. Advanced Task Killer is an app that may help resolve some issues if used properly. If you're on Gingerbread, the Battery Use monitor in the menu can let you kill off apps that take up the most battery life. I found that killing off Facebook whenever I'm not using it helped me extend my battery by nearly 15 hours (no joke).

4. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    Remove any task managers and such apps, it really helped me.

5. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    if you can, root your phone and get setcpu, it's is an amazing program that increased my android phones battery life.

6. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    using a task killer properly

generally, just don't use task managers, the most effective way to increase battery life is setting all constantly updating applications, widgets, processes to update less frequently, root your phone and remove all of the bloat, and, if you're feeling adventurous, putting on a custom ROM

if you could just tell us what phone you're using we should be able to help more

7. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    I have a samsung galaxy ace running touchwiz 3.0 on top of froyo2.2. Any one got any battery stretching ideas for me?

8. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    @spinal: Can't vouch for your particular phone - but I can vouch that having something like 'Airplane Autoswitch' to switch the phone into 'flight mode' automatically when you're sure you won't need it (i.e. when your sleeping) can definitely save on battery drain

Before I had it, I was losing ~15-20% (from full charge) overnight on my DeisreHD, but now I only lose ~2%

Another 'tip' is reduce screen brightness - I usually have it @ 20% which is fine for me while indoors, & if I need to look @ phone while outside - I have a 'Brightness Toggle' button (part of Wigetsoid BTW) which I can press to switch it up to 80% when needed (pressing it again toggles it back down to 20%). I would've normally used the 'autobrightness' function - but on the DesireHD it take a few seconds to actual change the screen brightness, which I find is a little too long IMHO

9. Maid-chan
    OP

Indonesia
    If you ask my phone, see my signature [​IMG]

Also... is it safe to rooting phone?

10. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It's safe as long as you're not deleting system files or anything like that.

All "rooting" is, is giving yourself full permission to change what you want in your phone that the developers didn't want you to change.

11. CarbonX13

Taiwan
    Rooting is definitely safe. It's what you do after rooting that is questionable. I have an Xperia Arc as well, and rooting it took only around 3 minutes. Never had any issues, and I've never looked back since. I love rooted Android.

12. Maid-chan
    OP

Indonesia
    What am I scared is rooting phone makes brick on phone [​IMG]

13. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Try to think of it as Window's 'Administrator' and 'Guest' accounts

• With a 'Unrooted' phone - you (the user) have a 'Guest' account, meaning you can use the phone as the administrator deems fit, restricting you from doing any serious damage like 'editing the registry' or 'deleting essential files' but they will allow you to install programs
    • With a 'Rooted' phone - you now have a 'Administrator' account - allowing you to do more than normal.
      This means you'll can NOW alter things you couldn't as a 'guest'

Now IF you start mucking about with the phone essential files, deleting files, replacing the ROM with a custom version etc - then YES you can easily brick the phone (It's a bit like if you started deleting SYS or DLL files from the '/Windows/' folder willy-nilly - you'll most probably bugger that up)
    BUT if you only alter files that are deemed 'safe' (usually 'Theres an app for that !!' [​IMG] [​IMG] ) then there is no chance of bricking.

For example - with a rooted phone (& in fact also with Windows) you'll be able to edit the 'HOST' file to block certain websites - very handy to prevent ads from showing up or restricting the young ones from visiting unsavory sites.
    This is a 'safe' file to alter & even if you did anything wrong - it won't brick the phone & is easily repairable

Additional: In fact I believe that there's additional safety features
    - You are unable to install a custom ROM onto the phone if something called 'S-Off' is not 'on' (or is it 'off) & I THINK (some1 can confirm this) that there is also a 'Recovery' mode on Android phones (not too sure what this actually allows you to do though - is it some type of 'system backup' ??)

14. Maid-chan
    OP

Indonesia
    WOW! This is what information I waiting for~!
    Thank you very much! Yo're my hero [​IMG]

15. Zekrom_cool

Member Zekrom_cool I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu

India
    Android is made to run a lot of applications along with telephonic conversations and messaging and web browsing. So this makes the battery run dry quite fast.

16. Maid-chan
    OP

Indonesia
    okay 1 more question... I already rooted my phone with gingerbreak v1.2 .And I add busybox in it. My question is, is it safe if I update it from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3?

P.S. : after root, is my phone need more app to rooting?

17. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    No problems - but I MUST add a disclaimer though.....

The info I've given is My view as to what 'rooting' does
    - it may or may not be accurate or even correct (I'm new to Android and Rooting myself).

I would suggest waiting to see if any1 else can confirm/deny my point of view first, or perhaps give a better explaination - before even attempting rooting your phone (Just to be extra safe)

Each phone (I believe) has different 'rooting' methods
    - in my case, My DesireHD had an app called 'Visionary+' that allowed either 'temp root' or a more permanent 'root' (temp root meant that if I switched off/on the phone the 'root' feature would disappear)

But it doesn't/didn't give me 'S-off' function though - so no Custom ROM loading/Delete 'standard apps' was available, but I believe this App is for HTC phones only (& even then a limit few). For any other phones the method may be different

EDIT: Oooppss looks like my warning was a little too late [​IMG] You've already rooted it [​IMG]
    Can't help with that info - sorry

18. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    never rooted my HTC desire HD

but then again why need to?

i just got Taskiller to sort out battery

i have loads of games and stuff

no real reason to root it
    but i think you can get a app that roots you the phone on boot

19. Maid-chan
    OP

Indonesia
    Okay then... I'll make new topic [​IMG]

20. CarbonX13

Taiwan
    It depends on how you are going to update your Xperia Arc. The more common way people are updating is through FlashTool and flashing the 2.3.3 ROM onto the phone, since Sony Ericsson or their carrier hasn't pushed out an update yet. This, however, effectively removes the root, and GingerBreak does not support 2.3.3 yet, meaning you're pretty much stuck without root.

There is a method someone discovered though. It requires you to flash a generic ROM running 2.3.2, root the phone with Gingerbreak, and then perform the Over-the-Air Update to 2.3.3. More details over here.