Status
Not open for further replies.

huckleberrypie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One could theoretically port Android 1.6 to it since the processor on the 3DS is an ARMv6, but in practice it's a long shot unless you're that guy who somehow managed to port a proof-of-concept build of Donut to a TI NSpire.

Reactions: nn151 and pop13_13

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One could theoretically port Android 1.6 to it since the processor on the 3DS is an ARMv6, but in practice it's a long shot unless you're that guy who somehow managed to port a proof-of-concept build of Donut to a TI NSpire.
Unless its actually on a 3ds console. I wouldnt class it as a POC. Ya they got something to load on that. But it aint a 3ds console they got it on.

pop13_13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The
This is realy just an observation, but:
  • If the console runs a fully custom chipset, it will take forewer to port Linux (and therefore Android)
  • The Vita and 3DS don't have Linux, beacuse it's hard to develop for (lots of custom stuff compared to a phone and zero groundwork)
  • If the console ever had an official Linux port, it is very possible that the comunity will port other versions of Linux
  • It's easy to develop for off the shelf hardware (look at the Switch, Wii, PS4)
EDIT: By Linux I meant something that has similar capabilities like Linux on PC (atleast a web browser and a GUI is working).

Last edited by pop13_13,

NoisyJeis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if someone actually manages to port Android to 3DS (an trust me, they won't), it wouldn't run due to the hardware being too weak.
What If They Port An Old Version Of Android Like Lolipop

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is realy just an observation, but:
  • If the console runs a fully custom chipset, it will take forewer to port Linux (and therefore Android)
  • The Vita and 3DS don't have Linux, beacuse it's hard to develop for (lots of custom stuff compared to a phone and zero groundwork)
  • If the console ever had an official Linux port, it is very possible that the comunity will port other versions of Linux
  • It's easy to develop for off the shelf hardware (look at the Switch, Wii, PS4)
Somebody Has Ported Linux On 3DS

Reactions: nn151

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The Linux ported is very simple and porting the Linux kernel with some basic features is hard but nowhere near the level of porting a full OS, like Android. Someone would need to not only port the kernel but also drivers and other parts of the OS to the 3DS. It's not to say that it's impossible but that would be extremely difficult, time-consuming, and would struggle with porting features and apps. It's worth noting the emulating Android would definitely not be possible as the 3DS is not powerful enough for that level of emulation and even if it could, the 3DS lacks the resources for launching apps.

Reactions: pop13_13

pop13_13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The

Kernel != Linux

By Linux I meant something that has similar capabilities like Linux on PC (atleast a web browser and a GUI is working).

Reactions: nn151

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i mean, someone imported an entire running and working windows OS onto the 3ds, so its defintiely possible to import an old version of android onto it, i can see it happening someday

I dont. 3DS homebrew is slowing down, if somebody does they would need to port something like android 6/7/8 as it being 32 bit. it will be very slow. and time consuming. i dont think anybody waste they time and resources.

i hope im wrong tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-