Hacking Android 10 Switchroot Build

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any way to get this thing to output 4k60 / HDR? I know the stock dock isn't capable, but I'm using an adapter that I've confirmed will output 4k60 HDR in Windows. Like the Switch, said laptop is displayport 1.2 internally, so I'd think the hardware is capable.
Someone on the XDA thread tested and could only get 4k30 without HDR

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have an SD card with a hidden EmuNand partition created back then by SX OS. Is it possible to install Android 10 on the same SD card?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an SD card with a hidden EmuNand partition created back then by SX OS. Is it possible to install Android 10 on the same SD card?
You should be able to back up the hidden partition (and the files from the SD), then use hekate's partition manager to set the card up with an emunand partition as well as the Android partitions, and restore your emunand back to that. There should be guides in the tutorial section for backing up & restoring the emunand.

You say "back then" so I'm not sure if you're still using SX OS, the result from the above might not work with SX OS but will work with Atmosphere. If you wanted it to work with SX OS you might have to do the partitioning manually, which is more of a headache.

Last edited by hippy dave,
Reactions: SpaceJump

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ignorance at its finest. Your logic is any device running Android TV should support shield games. It is called ANDROID TV, it is not called hey turn your Nintendo Switch into an Nvidia Shield TV
It doesn't just run Android TV. It literally runs a Shield TV build and it runs virtually the exact same hardware as the Shield TV (albeit clocked lower)
There should be no reason Shield TV games wouldn't work. Unless it's a LineageOS thing and they don't work on LineageOS on an actual Shield TV either.
No support. It lacks drivers and it seems switchroot is not willing to make them unless they are bored.
Is there no LineageOS build for Tegra X1+ (Shield TV 2019)? That is the same Mariko SoC AFAIK. They should not have to make any drivers if the hardware is the same.
Yeah that was me, but I think the hardware should be capable. So I'm wondering if there's something in the software config limiting the resolution. Or maybe the Switch isn't even displayport 1.2
Guessing it's probably a limitation with the dock itself (AFAIK the DP signal comes directly from the SoC and is just muxed into the USB signal by a different chip so there shouldn't be any limitations in the console itself, it should be able to handle anything the SoC can handle) And considering the Switch will only accept the specific chipset that is in the official dock, using a 3rd party dock won't help either as they all use the same chip.

For the record, the Switch devkit specs also specify 4K30 max. So it's likely that's the highest it will ever go, well that is unless we figure out how to make it work with other docks (that support newer HDMI standards)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I was thinking about this recently for my brother switch and the only way I can think of having atmos,sxos and android on one card. Is to create a fat32 & Android partition scheme and divide them however u like then create an emunand sxos with sd files method so they sit in fat32 partition

U could do this with the hidden partition but you have to partition it manually

Last edited by pcwizard7,
Reactions: SpaceJump

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking about this recently for my brother switch and the only way I can think of having atmos,sxos and android on one card. Is to create a fat32 & Android partition scheme and divide them however u like then create an emunand sxos with sd files method so they sit in fat32 partition

U could do this with the hidden partition but you have to partition it manually

Depends if you want separate emuNANDs for SX and AMS - AMS can be configured to use an SX hidden partition emuNAND (but not the other way round) so you could run both on the same emuNAND. No need to manually partition either just let SXOS do it for you.

I’ve gone all AMS now but I did have it set up as 1 hidden partition for both - FAT32 partition - Android partition

If you need to back up, move or convert emuNANDs the following tool is a life saver https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Depends if you want separate emuNANDs for SX and AMS - AMS can be configured to use an SX hidden partition emuNAND (but not the other way round) so you could run both on the same emuNAND. No need to manually partition either just let SXOS do it for you.

I’ve gone all AMS now but I did have it set up as 1 hidden partition for both - FAT32 partition - Android partition

If you need to back up, move or convert emuNANDs the following tool is a life saver https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/

you could create a hidden partition emunand with sx then resize the fat32 to what you want then manually create partitions need for Android then flash it

I am aware of how to get atmos to use sx emunand

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not deep in topic, but I think SoC is not the issue here.

I know you couldn't root the 2019 Nvidia shield atm and its to do with the kernel

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't just run Android TV. It literally runs a Shield TV build and it runs virtually the exact same hardware as the Shield TV (albeit clocked lower)
There should be no reason Shield TV games wouldn't work. Unless it's a LineageOS thing and they don't work on LineageOS on an actual Shield TV either.
Nv doesn't provide Android 10 versions of the shit needed to run Nvidia games.
(Also the Switch is very different from the Shield TV, although it doesn't really matter here)

Is there no LineageOS build for Tegra X1+ (Shield TV 2019)? That is the same Mariko SoC AFAIK. They should not have to make any drivers if the hardware is the same.
uboot and atf need to be ported, and hekatf (which will be replacing coreboot) still needs a lot of work (and also needs to be ported).

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you could create a hidden partition emunand with sx then resize the fat32 to what you want then manually create partitions need for Android then flash it

This is an old guide but this is where I learned how to partition an sd card for android and this will give you an idea of how to partition the card.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guessing it's probably a limitation with the dock itself (AFAIK the DP signal comes directly from the SoC and is just muxed into the USB signal by a different chip so there shouldn't be any limitations in the console itself, it should be able to handle anything the SoC can handle) And considering the Switch will only accept the specific chipset that is in the official dock, using a 3rd party dock won't help either as they all use the same chip.

For the record, the Switch devkit specs also specify 4K30 max. So it's likely that's the highest it will ever go, well that is unless we figure out how to make it work with other docks (that support newer HDMI standards)

When booted into android it accepts docks not built specifically for the switch. Reportedly it can even do actual DisplayPort out. The dock I tried can do 4k60 HDR from Windows on a DisplayPort 1.2 laptop, but the Switch will only do 4k30 with it.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Selinux in permissive mode works.
By default, you cant have multiple android versions on the same sd card.
Installing to eMMC is more or less straight forward, official releases probably wont support that.

Ive made a (new) script to install android that will support 2 android q versions on one sd card and also installs to eMMC. Not ready yet, but heres the link
https://github.com/lulle2007200/SDSetup
If installing to eMMC, how do you boot Android? The same way as emuMMC, via hekate/other payloads? Or does it boot directly?

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If installing to eMMC, how do you boot Android? The same way as emuMMC, via hekate/other payloads? Or does it boot directly?
you have to start it the same way.
starting directly is unfortunately not possible.
I am currently writing a guide to installing Horizon / Android / Linux to emmc, but it will still take a while.

Last edited by evil_santa,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.