...and more things I don't know!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by J8son, Aug 12, 2010.

Aug 12, 2010

...and more things I don't know! by J8son at 7:17 PM (2,465 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. J8son
    OP

Newcomer J8son Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks to everyone for answering my questions regarding WiiConnect24 I had in this thread.

I just had a few more things I'm not real clear on that I can't find a definitive answer on the web (and I've already asked in the n00b thread with no luck yet).

So here goes:

1) Do I need to keep the SD card in my Wii from now on? Also, If I were to do some clean up of my SD card, what files are a MUST and what can I clear out?

2) I'm having trouble understanding what the difference in installing Bootmii as IOS vs boot2. I did both during my softmod process (the first time I did boot2 first, then the second I installed IOS first but both were installed during both steps). I also skipped the "Prepare SD Card" option as it wasn't included in the steps of the orginal tutorial, which now has me worried.

3) I created a backup that I transfered to my PC. When would I need this? Hopefully not I would assume...

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    1) the bootmii folder. otherwise none.

2) as boot2 bootmii installs itself in the wiis boot procress, protecting you from most bricks. As IOS it's just another IOS like all the others. search for the noobie thread to learn what IOS is.
    Point is boot2 is better but having both doesn't hurt.

3) If you brick your Wii beyond normal recovery. Shouldn't happen unless you go really crazy, but it's good to have the backup.

3. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    1. If you want to start apps, yes. Only not if you are switching to a USB HDD, then you can start the apps from this.
    2. the boot2 is the boot sequence before the system menu and system IOS. The bootmii IOS can be only stared if priiloader can still start. It's not important to Prepare the SD Card. if you have bootmii boot2, it's nearly impossible to fullbrick the wii...
    3. ...because you habe a NAND backup. If you wii won't start again, you can still boot bootmii boot2 to restore this backup.

4. J8son
    OP

United States
    Thanks! Quick and helpful responses as usual.

@ 2)...

I'll break down what I did and maybe you can clear up something about my current setup.

In this thread, under the first "Update" half of the tutorial, there is a step that reads like this...

So, since the tutorial wasn't specific about this step, I just went straight down the list and selected "Install Bootmii as boot2" first, then selected "Install Bootmi as IOS."

Everything worked fine and I continued on. Later in the second half of the tutorial, under the "Modify" section, the above step is repeated. However, since the last thing the tutorial says is to install as "boot2 if possible," I reversed the order. I selected the second option of "Install as IOS" first, and then went back and selected "Install as boot2" as the final step.

But you'll see that during both passes (the update & modify pass) both options were selected. I just switched the order at the end so the last thing I selected matched the last thing the tutorial said.

So basically, what the hell did I do here? [​IMG] If someone were to ask me what my Bootmii setup was, I'm not even sure how to respond at this point.

5. FIX94

Germany
    To the "boot2 if possible"... It should be "ALSO boot2 if possible" It's better to have bootmii boot2 and bootmii IOS. The order is not important.

6. J8son
    OP

United States
    Ah, so your saying I have both ends installled as boot2 and IOS since I installed each one twice (once during the first half, onnce during the second). The order is irrelevant, as long as they are done?

7. FIX94

Germany
    One or ten times, INSTALLED means INSTALLED. And the order is REALLY irrelevant [​IMG]

8. J8son
    OP

United States
    Ah I see. Well that clears that up then. Thanks Fix! [​IMG]

However, another issues has caught my eye (big suprise right [​IMG]).

I'm clearing out my SD card and I'm not seeing a "Bootmii" folder on there, as mentioned by Slowking above? I ony see an "apps" folder and a "private" folder?

Can I get rid of the "private" folder (I have backed-up my SD card first so don't worry) and where is my "Bootmii" folder gone to? Isn't that essential?

Thanks!

9. FIX94

Germany
    Without bootmii folder=no bootmii! To get the bootmii folder back, start hackmii installer with your sd card insterted and reinstall bootmii IOS. Then you should have the bootmii folder back. In the private folder are you channels and savegames you have transfered to the sd card. But I think in the private folder is a folder with wii, in the wii foler title and in the title folder aktn, right? aktn is bannerbomb [​IMG]

10. J8son
    OP

United States
    So, I actuay backed it up to a folder on my PC and removed it from the SD card, per the tutorial. Anyone know the reasoning for this? Should I move it back to the SD card or use your listed method above?

Also, is the "private" folder needed for functinallity? I'm trying to clear anything that has to do with the instalation process off the card untill needed in the future. However, if it's something that the Wii or softmod will access, I DO NOT want to remove it correct?

Thanks!

11. FIX94

Germany
    Let the private folder there, the wii will store all sd card files there. You can move the bootmii folder back to your sd card, strange that the tutorial say you should delete it.

12. J8son
    OP

United States
    1) OK, tell you what. I'll break down the files on my SD Card and I'll tell you the ones I plan to remove. You let me know if it's cool:

Files to be removed from SD card (all backed-up on PC):

wad (folder)
    boot.elf
    hacks
    installer
    IOS15-64-v257.wad
    IOS15-64-v523.wad
    IOS36-64-v3351.wad
    mmmconfig

Files to be left on SD card:

apps (folder)
    private (folder)

2) I can easily copy the bootmii folder back to my SD card from my PC. I have the NAND.bin and keys.bin files as well. Do these also need to be restored to my SD or are they for backup purposes only?

Again, my intention is to keep a clean SD card, with only the needed files on them (providing I woud copy other files that may be needed in the future for updates, recovery, etc...when the time comes).

Thanks! [​IMG]

13. FIX94

Germany
    Only copy the bootmii folder back and don't delete the wad folder. The other things can be deleted, that the sd card have the apps, private, bootmii and wad folder left.

14. J8son
    OP

United States
    I'm curious. Why keep the "wad" folder? I have removed all other wad files from the root of my SD, and I have already installed everything I wish to install to my Wii. Any reason not to remove the folder as well?

Also, I saw in another thread it is suggested to keep the "private" folder but delete the "aktn" folder. Your thoughts on this?

15. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    My guess on wad folder is later on you can remove wad cleanly using them.
    Yes you keep private because that's where wii store files at.

16. FIX94

Germany
    [​IMG] OK, delete the wad folder and delete bannerbomb (the aktn folder). The reason why you can leave the wad folder is that if you want to install something you must re-create the wad folder [​IMG]

17. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Listen.
    Copy all to your PC. Keep it there for safe keeping.
    Now your SD card is empty.
    If you need to fire up an APP, you will need to do that from HBC, which needs those APPs in the APPs folder of your SD card.
    If you DO NOT need to run ANYTHING from the HBC, you dont need the SD card in the Wii.
    Now for WADS.
    If you are INSTALLING something, you need those WADS in the WAD folder on the SD card, which needs to be in the Wii, fired up from the HBC.
    ( if you fire up HBC with nothing on the SD card, or NO SD card, it'll be blank HBC).... See?
    Only YOU will know if you need to keep the SD card in the Wii IF your running an app constantly, or not.

18. J8son
    OP

United States
    Hmm, interesting.

My ultimate goal is to have either a Flash Drive or USB Harddrive connected to the Wii and run USB Loader GX's cover flow option to launch my games. Can all that be done independently from the SD card? It would be nice to remove the sd card from the equation.

19. FIX94

Germany
    USB Loader GX only works for me with SD Card, but my sd card slot is broken, I always get a code dump. But I don't like USB Loader GX. It's very unstable. WiiFlow and Configurable USB Loader are working without sd card. On my USB HDD, i have the homebrew things on a FAT32 Parition and the games on a NTFS parition, and everything works great!
    edit: Now I'm a GBAtemp Fan [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. J8son
    OP

United States
    UPDATE:

Alright, I bought an external 1TB USB Hitachi HDD today. I'm looking to install the USB Loader GX and my Wii games all onto this drive and run everything within this hard drive (without the need of a SD card).

I do remember something about needing two partitions for this and formatting with a special file system, but I can't seem to find any tutorials that address these specifics. Am I looking in the wrong place?