Analysts Discuss Failed Online Strategy And Project Cafe

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Zekrom_cool, May 27, 2011.

1. Zekrom_cool
    OP

Member Zekrom_cool I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu

India
    Nintendo: Analysts Discuss Nintendo’s Failed Online Strategy And Project Cafe

[​IMG]

We are all aware that Nintendo’s online offerings have been lacking in comparison to Sony’s PlayStation Network and Microsofts Xbox Live but will Nintendo be able to set things right with Project Cafe? Well, a number of games industry analysts have grouped together to discuss such a subject. Here’s what they have to say with regards to Nintendo’s online offerings and what we can expect from Project Cafe.

“Nintendo’s online strategy to date has been terrible. This is where Nintendo needs to completely turn around. Nintendo cannot afford to be last in online. DLC is necessary, but on its own is not the solution. I don’t think following the App Store is a good strategy at all. Apple’s approach is a volume game and a race to the bottom — quantity not quality. Dedicated handhelds and video game consoles have got to re-invent online gaming. Angry Birds is fine for the mainstream and priced for it. Hardcore gamers deserve better and won’t get it unless they pay for it.” — M2 Research analyst Billy Pidgeon.

“Nintendo has completely whiffed online, and I’m not sure if they will ever get it right. It’s ridiculous to speculate about when they will wake up and seize the opportunity, they appear years away.” — Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.

“I don’t necessarily believe the mainstream market has opened itself up to DLC quite yet. It is going to take some time for the mainstream culture to accept and be open to the idea of DLC. I don’t necessarily believe any type of level based expansion pack would be successful. Of course, this has a lot to do with how many hurdles a network throws in front of a customer to make a DLC purchase happen. Simply put, for DLC to be effective among the mainstream, the purchase and install process has to be seamless.” — EEDAR’s Jesse Divnich.

“In several Parks Associates consumer studies, we asked consumers if their consoles are connected to the Internet and how they use their connected consoles. Unsurprisingly, the Wii has always trailed the other two. I think that’s a huge missed opportunity that would generate a lot of revenue if Nintendo does it right. The company needs to generate interest and make it user-friendly. On the positive side, more and more consumers are used to the idea of downloading apps on their phones and tablets. That helps with selling any type of digital content, including downloadable content on consoles.” — Parks Associates’ Pietro Macchiarella.

“Nintendo has had a history of making proprietary planned obsolete services and products. They like to see their competitors make mistakes before they jump into emerging technologies. The benefit of the pathetic Wii online experience is that they have not had to deal with a hacker attack like their Japanese counterpart, Sony. They are a lot like Apple in the sense that they wait for their competitors to stumble before they go in for the kill. The fact that Wii was able to outsell both Xbox 360 and PS3 without a viable online strategy is an achievement in my opinion. Although it has undoubtedly limited the longevity of the system. I am not sure if DLC is in Mario’s future but the potential for Pokemon or Nintendogs DLC is unlimited. As long as they can control it, I am sure DLC is in the cards for some first party Project Cafe titles.” — Asif Khan of Panoptic Management Consultants.[/p]

[​IMG] Source?

2. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    DLC is nice but I don't play many games with worthwhile DLC that doesn't consist of just some outfit (most likely fetishy or downright ecchi) to dress a female character.

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    And here I am, a person who is getting out of video games because systems are becoming too dependent on the internet, or "internet-happy" as I like to call it.

4. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I have a better idea learn Japanese and import some games there are many games in Japan that still aren't internet dependent and those that have the capability is just for minor DLC such as the outfits.

5. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I still don't understand that. If you didn't like online play then don't do it.

Don't bring video games down just for that reason.

6. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I think its kinda telling that both Nintendo and Sony missed the online boat. It's really more of a cultural issue than a technical one. Playing online has never been that 'popular' in Japan, so when designing their systems, it was really an afterthought. MS of course being an American company and seeing the Internet as their gateway to the home (through SEVERAL failed implementations of WebTV...) thought using their xbox was an ideal platform for the final push to make their WebTV dream a reality. So technically MS has been trying this for decades and just finally figured it out.

Certainly from an 'analysts' perspective, the lack of a coherent online strategy from Nintendo is troubling. Especially considering how profitable xbox live is, and how publishers are relying on DLC to increase revenues. Thus publishers might shy away from a platform where DLC is not viable as a revenue stream. I suspect that Nintendo and Sony won't migrate to a Xbox Live subscription model yet, since they're behind and having their online offerings 'free' would be a selling point despite their rather anemic offerings in comparision to Xbox Live.

7. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    As a distribution model, digital downloads are much more attractive than 'retail'. With a digital download your profit margins skyrocket. There's a reason why Gamestop bought Impulse. And why many publishers are providing digital downloads of their products, bypassing retail all together. They can essentially make an extra 20-30% margin by selling to you online. DLC on the console side is again almost pure profit, which is why they are pushed pretty hard by publishers. It's basically the equivalent of making you buy a $50 HDMI cable with your TV. They make no money on the TV, but make $49 on the HDMI cable.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=256

Anyways yeah, I think Nintendo's online should have a lot of new stuff, but shouldn't be mandatory. Any online interactions should be a bonus, with a minority of games making it their focus at first. In addition DLC should be additional stuff, not stuff that was supposed to be there in the first place that they cut back on to get whatever game out earlier.

9. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I don't really like games which rely too much on internet connectivity...

What happens if their server goes down (like PSN?) or you having internet connection problems? That would be awful... [​IMG]

10. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    I think Nintendo should have dedicated game room (much like kaillera client) in their system menu, so you just pop your game, choose someone waiting in the online room, and oualá, multiplayer even if the game has or hasn´t Nintendo WFC

11. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    You cut out the middle man of game stores with digital downloads though (which they hate), Steam is great personally because the prices are set in stone and they have sales on occasion which game stores don't do. Sure, Valve is probably getting a 5% cut of game sales but that's a lot less then what the game stores have to get in order to sell games. I don't have to deal with taxes either, so when I pay 49.99 or whatever for a computer game, that is the price I have to pay and not an extra 12 fucking bucks because of taxes. Wait till the next generation of console games when they will be more expensive, taxes are just going to be even higher on them. I am all for digital downloads providing they remain affordable.

Downloadable Content is good for some games, but shouldn't be for every game. Games should be long enough that additional content should not be required in order to fully enjoy the game.

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I remember when gaming systems "were what they were" and didn't need firmware updates all the time, or ever. I remember when a "multiplayer" game meant your friend came over and played games with you and were not just faceless people on the internet. I remember when games were made to be FUN, not just graphic shows. I remember when games were original and not just rehashes of games you've already played before. I remember when single-player was the main way to play a game, now it's all about the online. Many games nowadays can't really be played single-player, or if they can, they are severely limited compared to their online aspect. I remember when games were made simply for the love of gaming, not because they were payed to create a certain type of game.

I could go on and on with this subject, but no one wants to read my walls of text about stuff that doesn't relate to them. You are likely not from my generation, of course you don't understand. In fact, I'm sure there are a lot of gamers from MY generation who don't understand my viewpoint either. I'm OK with that. I always did have vastly different opinions than most people when it comes to video games....or just about any other subject for that matter.

Suffice it to say, I'm a relic, I'm old-hat, too old-school and closed-minded for my own good and I know it. Games aren't made for people of my generation, they are made for the younger generations who weren't around when I was a hardcore gamer. My exiting gaming isn't going to "bring video games down" at all, because for every old gamer who has grown bored and disgusted with video games, there are 100 new gamers to take their place who will find enjoyment in the very aspects I dislike.

Besides, I still have my emulators to play all the old games I remember so fondly.

13. Zekrom_cool
    OP

India
    Yeah there was such a time. But now a graphicless game sounds kinda vague.

14. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I'm fed up paying £40 for a half arsed game! Just because the publisher is trying to sell me dlc in 2 months time to milk more money out of me.

15. Zekrom_cool
    OP

India
    So dont pay!

16. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    haha, mvc3 [​IMG] The game was looked into and found 2 unused character slots. I think they took the chars out for DLC and had no plans what so ever to add any "real" new characters.

17. thegame07

United Kingdom
    Don't pay for the dlc? or don't pay for the game?

It's people like you who encourage the publishers to rip people off. When we buy a game we should be getting a game with all the content that was supposed to be in it! We didn't buy a demo.

troll much?

Ah, you're 14 that explains your comment. Your attitude will change when your mummy doesn't buy your games for you.

18. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    @Rayder

I didn't think the games you are talking about are not completely faded out not
    your go to someone house to play etc is either. There just stuff added on top of that.

@thegame07

You at like dlc is always a excuse for not having a good game or not finishing.

A good game could be completely finish, but then they could be like hey let add extra
    to make the game even better.

They could not give you dlc altogether. :/

Tho having to pay for dlc is kinda mess up.

19. thegame07

United Kingdom

Oh, You got me wrong I'm not talking about all games but most games with DLC are clearly out to rip off the customers. As was said above just look at Marvel vs Capcom the characters are on the disc already but they still try charge you for them? It should be illegal.

I don't mind if they bring out dlc for a game that was worth £40 after everyone has finished it. I don't like the idea of companys leaving out content on purpose just to sell us it later. It's fine If a company decides to add extra dlc like 6 month later "oh hey our game sold really well, People must really like it. Let's give them something new" It should be done to give their customers more content added on top of a full game after at least 6 months, not used as a cash cow.

Remember the days where you got updates with new content free of charge?