An exception occured error when booting.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xbox, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Xbox
    OP

Xbox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    OK, so I was following the 3ds.guide guide to installing CFW 100% correctly, I am now on this part https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

However, when I turn on my 3DS, I get this:

an exception occurred

Processor: ARM11 (core 0)
    Exception type: data abort
    bla bla bla numbers

Can someone help?

2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Update to Luma v8.0.

3. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    What versions of B9S and Luma did you try to install? Certain versions of each are not compatible with each other, though I'm not positive if that's your issue or not.

4. Xbox
    OP

Xbox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    How?

5. Sophie-bear

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
  6. Xbox
    OP

Xbox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    That is the same one I put on the SD card. Luma 8.0 and boot9strap 1.2

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I have done this now to make sure and it has made no difference.

7. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
  8. Xbox
    OP

Xbox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    I updated it, it said successful, it rebooted, an exception occurred. Would posting the dump here let someone figure it out?

9. zaqqaz00

zaqqaz00 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    Dallas
    Maybe your boot.firm is corrupted
    Download a fresh 8.0 as in above link and paste it to the root of your sd card overwriting prior version

10. wymer94

wymer94 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    Hi i have the exact same problem. tried the above and still not working? have you found a solution?

Xbox likes this.
  11. Xbox
    OP

Xbox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    I got desperate, booted into recovery mode and updated my 9.2 3DS to 11.4. I seem to have custom firmware 11.4 and I can still access the Luma3DS thing and the other thing. I haven't tried to do anything else, but my 3DS is working. I'm thinking about getting a Gateway 3DS for my 9.2 O3DS XL, because that seems easier to install.

12. Sophie-bear

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Is there some reason you were avoiding updating previously? Only reason I can imagine for neglecting to update to 11.4 is the lack of an easily accessible entry point, but once you're on b9s, that shouldn't matter.

Xbox likes this.
  13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Gateway is definitely not easier - you have to use an emuNAND and find a way to update it to only 11.2, since Gateway never released support for 11.3 and 11.4. If you follow their "fast boot" installation method, then your console will basically be a brick if you lose your Gateway cartridge or it breaks (you can't boot up the console without it). If you use the old method (what I would do if for some reason I wanted to use Gateway) then now you need an internet connection whenever you want to boot it up. Or you could use the homebrew launcher, but you would have to work it out by piecing together old guides because that's all outdated now. And if you have problems you'd have to work out our yourself since very few people would remember enough to be able to help. Plus, if you accidentally update your sysNAND you are now locked out of EVERYTHING. And if you use a9lh or b9s, then you'll be following the guide anyway, with the added danger that if you boot Gateway mode on sysNAND, you are locked out of everything still.

So, in short, don't use Gateway if you are able to not (i.e. if you're not using their cheat feature and don't have lots of saves you have to extract).

If you need assistance with the guide, I'm sure we can help.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jun 12, 2017
    wsquan171 and Xbox like this.
  14. Xbox
    OP

Xbox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    I've seen tutorials on setting it up on a 9.2 3DS XL. Seems completely easy.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Not sure what you mean. So I can continue with the set up of the custom firmware? I think I'm stuck in CFW anyway.

15. aos10

aos10 look at me,shitposting about GW,i am so cool

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    This is the same error i got,i installed the final version of Luma,the 3ds was hack free.

16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    They are probably old ones. Remember you will have to find a way to update to 11.2 only (old tutorials might tell you to update using System Settings, that will make Gateway not boot). AND you will have to make sure not to accidentally update sysNAND, or you will be locked out. AND you now have to boot into Gateway mode each time using an internet connection, or a homebrew launcher exploit. Compared to spending the same amount or less on the guide, and being able to use your system like normal.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jun 13, 2017