An Annoyance in Windows 8.1

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After the latest update in Windows 8.1, my start menu ("apps view" or whatever) now has little alphabetical icons that split my shortcuts up into little groups. See the below screenshot:

sq5H3wG.png

However, it's not like I have a million applications or anything, so all the category labels do is end up doubling the amount of space it takes to display things, in addition to seeming to cause search to lag a little bit.

Was this a change in a recent update, or did I accidentally hit a setting somewhere that turn this on? In either case, any ideas on how to turn it off?

Also, INB4 jokes about how the entirety of WIndows 8.1 is an annoyance.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a bit odd; there should be more than just Internet Explorer under Tools.

That aside, in your Taskbar and Navigation Properties (right-click the taskbar on the desktop and hit Properties), go to Navigation and select List desktop apps first. That will move Tools to the back of your Apps screen.

Personally, I prefer to sort my apps by most used.

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@PityOnU - It's not just you. Windows 8.1 Update 1 was a major update that changed some things up, and this was one of them. It's been annoying me too, not sure if there's a way to change it back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1