An almost paradoxical audio problem

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Wolvenreign, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Wolvenreign
    OP

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    So, I'm having a really, really strange problem with my PC's audio. Normally, I'd know how to fix this, since I got my A+ certs not too long ago, but the nature of the problem is just so...odd.

Let me explain. I use two main partitions, one with Windows 7 and the other with Ubuntu 12.10. In Windows, there's an audio problem where I have to push my speakers into the jack and continue to apply pressure to it before any sound plays. Sounds like a hardware problem, right? Something to do with the jacks? Well, I'd think so too, but...the problem doesn't exist on my Ubuntu side.

I never have to push the jack in on Ubuntu. The audio just plays. It's so thoroughly bizarre!

Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering just what's going on, myself.

2. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Hmmm; I remember when my headphones started cutting out sound: I had to shift the plug around and apply pressure pretty much most of the time. I got a new pair of headphones, though, and that seemed to fix it.

3. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes, but this particular problem is just so utterly strange. It SHOULD be a hardware problem, except that it works with a different software (Ubuntu).

4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    A driver problem? What onboard sound is that?

5. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    just try a different set of speakers, or simply a headphone.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Does Ubuntu have detection these days "something just got inserted into the blue jack, what was it?"? You should be able to disable it in Windows too.

7. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    I keep reinstalling the drivers, but to no avail.

The onboard sound is for the MSI 790GX-G65.

I have also tried other speakers and headphones, as well as two different jacks. In the other jack, sound doesn't come on at all (though it does for Ubuntu).

Edit: I am unclear as to your meaning, Sensei Fast. Do you mean to say that Plug and Play is at fault here?

8. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Did you try going into the Playback Devices options and setting the default listening device to your headphones? I hope Windows is reading it as a sound device.

9. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Realtek ALC889. You download audio driver from Realtek, not MSI correct?

Wolvenreign likes this.
  10. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Maybe a good fix would be to call a psychic medium to take a look on that pc...

loco365 likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Not so much plug and play but the autodetection, my guess was detection might be being done by a spring/end of the socket thing rather than a resistance test or something. By holding it in you are making the test work where ubuntu might not have such functionality and just pipe things directly into it.
    I only have the soundmax option selected in my BIOS right now but it is pretty similar for others and somewhere in the options will be an autodetect switch.

Wolvenreign likes this.
  12. Wolvenreign
    OP

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    ....Aaaaaand Trumpet saves me for the second time this week. Yep, I had forgotten to install the manufacturer's drivers. I guess it's because the Microsoft drivers were working so well for all that time. Thanks, Trumpet!

Thanks to you, too, Great Sensei Fast. I think I understand the nature of the problem more now.

I have forsaken my training! Now I must repent by fixing 300 computers before dawn! :P