Amazon Releases Amazon Fire TV

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by RHOPKINS13, Apr 4, 2014.

1. RHOPKINS13
    OP

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]

Remember this thread? Turns out the rumors were true! Introducing Amazon Fire TV, a streaming 1080p media player with voice search, Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, games, and more. The box comes with a remote, but you'll need to buy the Fire Game Controller separately for playing games. Currently the Amazon Fire TV will set you back $99, and the Amazon Game Controller will set you back another $39.99. You will need a HDMI cable, as it's not included in the box. Amazon Fire TV is only available in the US at the moment. For a limited time Amazon is giving away 1,000 Amazon Coins ($10 value) and Sev Zero ($6.99), a Amazon-exclusive game, for free with purchase of the Amazon Game Controller.

SOURCES:
    Amazon Fire TV Product Page
    Amazon Fire Game Controller Product Page

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Might go well with emulators that have been ported to Android :P

3. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    at least the ouya comes with a controller :/

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    ...I'd say the "gaming" portion of this thing was an afterthought, but honestly, I'm not sure even that much though went into it at all.

I mean, the streaming box is nice and all, but if... well, if this is the extent of the game capability, why bother in the first place?

5. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    And what reason do I have to shell out 140 big ones when I could, for the same price, pick up a used last-gen console on eBay (which I'd imagine would be significantly more powerful)?

I got nothin'.

EDIT: yeah yeah, i know it's a streaming box... whoops. Anyways, there's no real reason to buy this for gaming purposes.

6. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    How do the specs compare with OUYA?

7. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I predict a lot of angry customers on this one.

That product page makes it look as if everything is included, but without HDMI cable or controller, it ups the price considerably.

It plays videos and music...that you've bought on the amazon store. Great for customers, I guess. But I doubt I'll be playing my own collection on it.

Furthermore...where do those 100+ games come from (let alone 1000+)? I know they've bought double helix, but are EA and ubisoft really making games for this? :unsure: (oh, and...ouya's library coming to amazon. You've heard it here first! ;) )

And...pretty much all those video screens show game of thrones, but HBO Go is the only video rendering service they don't have. So...am I missing something here?

Then again, I can't deny that it looks somewhat interesting (voice control? Mirror your tablet? A name that doesn't suck? 1000+ games?). With marketing like this, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up selling more than the wiiu.

8. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    Exclusive digital boxes have always seemed like a rather silly concept to me. I can't really imagine anyone wanting something like this when most family's who would be into this sort of thing would have a decent smart TV and a computer in the same room.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Hopefully it provides MS a tiny bit of incentive to stop paywalling some of its stuff.

Also "Amazon coins".... I thought everybody agreed points systems in place of currency was a bad idea.

Otherwise that looks like a streaming box with some potential, unlike most of the others I have seen. If they manage to get the catch up services for the countries they are in then even better.

10. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    To be fair HDMI cables can be gotten for like 3$.