Gaming am i the only one who dislikes most rpgs?

missfabb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ones like most final fantasy's, dragon quest, and just the majority of rpgs on ds in general. the ones that have the battle style where you encounter a monster, then you have to choose "attack/magic/shield" etc. i hate those types so much! i've tried to like them but i just can't. i'd much rather play a game where its direct combat, like final fantasy crystal chronicles, where i'm actually fighting the monster first hand using the A button or something. does anyone else agree with me?

derrickchai39

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes, RPGs on the ds may be a pain in the butt. But i got recently addicted to iphone RPGs
biggrin.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like you specifically hate turn based games, not RPGs.

I hate turn based RPGs for the most part, but some games stories shine through that hate.
Hell, some games (atlus games) even do turn based battle systems a heavy bit of justice by doing them very, very right.
But yeah FF and DQ have really bad/dated versions of the turn based system.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a big fan of turn-based RPGs. The only one I really liked was Chrono Trigger, that game is just awesome.

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like all of them. Then again...I like pretty much everything...
unsure.gif

Anyway, I generally pefer turn based RPG's. Unless it's like PS0/O, or KH...again, pretty much everything...

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The turned-based, Att/Mag/Def rpgs can get boring real quick.

And another thing, there so few actualy 'role-playing games' for the DS. Most people think that if you level, go on quests, and have hit points you're playing an rpg...

For me rpgs must allow for choices, and have those choices affect the future in the game, not be completely linear, have an eagaging story...AT THE VERY LEAST.

Simply letting me control the direction of the character and what attack I use does not make it a rpg.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont like turn based games I bought ff13 because my sister wanted it(she touched it once)I tried to like it but I just hated it I like games where I have total control over a character and you don't attack in the same order everytime.

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overman1977 said:
The turned-based, Att/Mag/Def rpgs can get boring real quick.

And another thing, there so few actualy 'role-playing games' for the DS. Most people think that if you level, go on quests, and have hit points you're playing an rpg...

For me rpgs must allow for choices, and have those choices affect the future in the game, not be completely linear, have an eagaging story...AT THE VERY LEAST.

Simply letting me control the direction of the character and what attack I use does not make it a rpg.

The single most defining characteristic of a modern RPG is that it has an abstract layer of character development, a-la Dungeons and Dragons. Because of the context, it is not a literal interpretation. The earliest incarnations of D&D emphasized acting out the part of your character which is likely where the term was conceived, but when we talk about video games we have the mechanics in mind. However, in another context such as in bed with your wife/girlfriend/so, had you decided to role play I doubt she'd expect you were talking about rolling D20s.

dobz

Trophies
XP
Country
Hells Malice said:
Sounds like you specifically hate turn based games, not RPGs.

I hate turn based RPGs for the most part, but some games stories shine through that hate.
Hell, some games (atlus games) even do turn based battle systems a heavy bit of justice by doing them very, very right.
But yeah FF and DQ have really bad/dated versions of the turn based system.
That's true. If i could only apply Etrian Odyssey's battle system to a RPG with a good story!
I can't play EO otherwise, the grinding just kills me (there's nothing else).
CrimzonEyed said:
phoenixgoddess27 said:
QUOTE(The Pi @ Jul 25 2010, 07:19 PM) I like most RPG's but for some reason I hate final fantasy.

Same here, can't say I enjoy FF games.
the only FF games i like is 3,4 and 7, all the others are really bad (well the 1 and 2 for nes is kinda good too)
Really? try IX and VI.
I started with IX, i think that was best. FF turned shitty beyond that imo.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I love RPGs, but I can never find any to stick with for longer than two days.

....And really, I can't play Chrono Trigger. For some reason, I'm put off by the enemy being able to move like in Real Time combat but you're not able to move a fucking inch. I can't stand playing Chrono Trigger with a battle system like such. It's like it can't make up its mind whether it's real time combat or turn-based combat.

But that's about one of the few turn-based RPGs I can't stand to play. Others include Suikoden Tierkries, because of the autobattle button and the fucking main character talking so damn fast, and.. Uhhhh... the original Phantasy Star games, because if they're not like Phantasy Star Online or Blue Burst, fuck them.

Tokyo Jihen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I get bored easily with most traditional turn based RPGs as well. I like Real Time turn based though, like Chrono Trigger. FF3 and FF4 were really dull, but FF6 was so awesome. I loved the story and there were a lot of things to do besides battle, battle, and battle. Strategic RPGs are one of my favorite type. FF Tactics A2 is one of my favorite games, and so was Jeanne D'Arc for PSP. I like experimental RPGs as well. Lol. So basically you could just say I dislike traditional RPGs
tongue.gif

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Admit it, you will rather play an Action RPG games that takes no skill instead of tune-based RPG. I do have to admit, its hard tofind an RPG that has a good storyline and unique battle system.

Range-TE

Trophies
Website
random-arrow.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Indonesia
i dislike most RPGs too, mainly because the Random Encounter-Attack-Exp-Level up got boring.
but i do like light hearted RPGs like M&L Series, Paper Mario, Pokemon etc. (but chrono Trigger is something i claim as arguably the best RPG ever, i just loved it that much when i played the DS version)

although recently i got hooked to DQIX because it didn't have random encounters.

maybe i just hate Random Encounters, but that did work for the Pokemon series (i think mainly it's because the random Encounters are just on SOME parts)

edit:
oh and i love Action RPGs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD