Kamika

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just recently bought the R4 card at a webshop and since the latest firmware works, I assume it's the real deal. But I just read on this site that the R4 card is outdated and the manufacturer dropped the support for this card. Since when has it been like that and will that also mean that there will be no more firmware updates? The last one was back in april 2008 so I was wondering. I thank you in advance for answering my question(s).

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes support is dead for the R4,but thankfully we have Ysmenu
smile.gif

joepie91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kamika said:
I just recently bought the R4 card at a webshop and since the latest firmware works, I assume it's the real deal. But I just read on this site that the R4 card is outdated and the manufacturer dropped the support for this card. Since when has it been like that and will that also mean that there will be no more firmware updates? The last one was back in april 2008 so I was wondering. I thank you in advance for answering my question(s).
You might try to get a DSTT or an Acekard (my preference would go to the Acekard, due to the DSTT having some features I don't really like
tongue.gif
).
And you might also try to contact the webshop, and try to get your money back, because they didn't mention anything about stopped support. If it's a good webshop, you will probably succeed in getting your money back.

Kamika

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The shop I bought it from probably doesn't see it as a valid reason to return it, but I'll get its money's worth tenfold from this little thing. But I wonder how long it will take before none of the games will run on it. The game developers aren't crazy y'know. And yeah, I read about the Ysmenu but damn, that's pretty complicated
blink.gif
I'll need to get a 2nd Micro SD card to test it on.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kamika said:
The shop I bought it from probably doesn't see it as a valid reason to return it, but I'll get its money's worth tenfold from this little thing. But I wonder how long it will take before none of the games will run on it. The game developers aren't crazy y'know. And yeah, I read about the Ysmenu but damn, that's pretty complicated
blink.gif

Not really.... I run it along side my R4 1.18 and works wonders..... basically all you do is grab the YSmenu from yasu site patch it with the r4 patch file and slap it on your memory card and you run ysmenu as if your running an ds game
smile.gif

joepie91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kamika said:
blink.gif
Also, you can always start complaining about it not being an original batch (as far as I know, the original carts that do not support HC aren't being produced either, so those would be clones as well.)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically, the R4 is dead since it no longer has any support.
However, as long as the DSTT is alive and has support, the R4 is alive. Just use YSMenu + the latest DSTT firmware.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kamika said:
blink.gif
If you just want to test YSMenu, R4YSAuto will allow you to build it as a .NDS file so you can run it whenever you like.
It is also very easy to have both R4DS Firmware and YSMenu on the same card, just back up your R4's _DS_MENU.DAT and _DS_MENU.SYS files and keep them safe. Then copy the YSMenu files over. Each one has a different system folder (R4's is '_system_', YS's is 'TTMenu') so they wont conflict with eachother.

Kamika

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
twiztidsinz said:
Kamika said:
blink.gif
If you just want to test YSMenu, R4YSAuto will allow you to build it as a .NDS file so you can run it whenever you like.
It is also very easy to have both R4DS Firmware and YSMenu on the same card, just back up your R4's _DS_MENU.DAT and _DS_MENU.SYS files and keep them safe. Then copy the YSMenu files over. Each one has a different system folder (R4's is '_system_', YS's is 'TTMenu') so they wont conflict with eachother.

Heh, that could work too but I bought a 2nd Micro SD card to test YSmenu on it. It works great, but I haven't gotten to testing any games with it yet. But that will eventually happen since not all roms are compatible with the R4. Why is that? I thought that all cards and their firmware work basically the same.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
you're not totally screwed. i have a r4 as well, and it still works fine for me
For now, but all present and future games now that includes Nintendo's new flashcart detection code will not work on the R4 no matter the patching or piracy fix cheats you use.

Kamika

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Narin said:
da_head said:
you're not totally screwed. i have a r4 as well, and it still works fine for me
For now, but all present and future games now that includes Nintendo's new flashcart detection code will not work on the R4 no matter the patching or piracy fix cheats you use.

Hm, isn't that the hackers job to remove that kind of protection? But now that I think about it, if the latest games use that kind of protection, won't the DSi owners be screwed as well? The DSi has a SD card slot so won't those games mistake the actual game card for a fake one because there's an SD card slot?

EDIT: WTH do you mean no more firmware?! I just checked the site of the team behind R4 and behold; there is a v1.19 of the R4 firmware and if I have to believe the download page, it's even translated in English.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Kamika said:
EDIT: WTH do you mean no more firmware?! I just checked the site of the team behind R4 and behold; there is a v1.19 of the R4 firmware and if I have to believe the download page, it's even translated in English.

The real R4 site is http://r4ds.cn/ which shows that their last update is the 1.18 firmware. The other sites are fake and contain "updates" which are potentionally dangerous to your R4 and Nintendo DS. I have hard many reports that the fake firmwares causing the R4 and even the Nintendo DS to stop working. So basically, use them at your own risk.

Kamika said:
Narin said:
QUOTE(da_head @ Feb 13 2009, 11:55 AM) you're not totally screwed. i have a r4 as well, and it still works fine for me

Hm, isn't that the hackers job to remove that kind of protection? But now that I think about it, if the latest games use that kind of protection, won't the DSi owners be screwed as well? The DSi has a SD card slot so won't those games mistake the actual game card for a fake one because there's an SD card slot?

The DSi runs games in a DS compatibility mode so they don't have access to the SD slot, the cameras or anything else so its impossible for normal DS games to use any of the DSi new hardware or features. So its not a problem with the DSi and also thats not how the flashcart checks work anyways. Also even with the piracy checked patched in the game, the games still do not work on the R4 and nothing can be done to get them work. To implement the checks, they added a new routine which the R4 does not support. So all in all, these games will never work on the R4.

So you can expect all the good games coming out now to not work on the R4 as they will implement these piracy checks. This includes all games made by Nintendo and Square Enix which potentially makes the new Kingdom Hearts game will not work on the R4 either.

Kamika

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Narin: I used it briefly (a few seconds) but I immediately noticed that it wasn't working so I shut it down, deleted the files and put YSMenu on it again and to my relief I found that my DS was still working.

But when the time comes that none of the future games work on the R4, which other card would be my best bet? I hope there will be one that works on the DSi by the time that happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...