Am I on frankenfirmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Osga21, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Osga21
    OP

Osga21 King Of All Cosmos

Jun 9, 2013
    The Cosmos
    A friend downgraded the 3ds to 9.2, but whenever I try to start pastacfw, minipasta or cakes cfw I only get a black screen. The browser still gives me the nag screen telling me to update. I can go into system settings and launch games.

2. Osga21
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    The Cosmos
    Would it mess anything up if I ran sysupdater again?

3. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    If you can, that's the best way to fix it.

Guy50570 likes this.
  4. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I believe the current advice is to update back to the firmware you were before (making 150% sure you use a cart to update rather than the internet), and try again. Though I'm not sure if that's actually the best route, it is an option that's possible. Not sure if sysupdater will work to reinstall 9.2, as it thinks you're on 9.2, though I could be wrong. Won't hurt to try I don't think.

Last edited by osaka35, Mar 6, 2016
  5. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Sysupdater will downgrade all the files of which version is higher than the ones in the pack, so it will work.

astronautlevel and osaka35 like this.
  6. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    Some cart updates contain a dummy web browser.

7. wuggle

wuggle Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2004
    I had a similar situation over the weekend with a new 3DS running 9.9 that I downgraded to 9.2 only to have an error during the sysupdater downgrade process that left me on frankenfirm that claimed to be 9.2 per system settings but clearly was a combination of 9.2 and 9.9 mixed together. Luckily I could still get sysupdater to start so I ran the downgrade process again and all was good.... now on 9.2 with rxtools installed and a happy camper again! So in short, I agree, if you can try sysupdater again.... no need to update to a higher firmware again from my experience at least. (I have to say sysupdater is very unstable though.... the number of times I had to keep going in and out of it until it eventually processed the cia files without the titleexception error was ridiculous.... hard to understand why it seems to work eventually when you've tried exactly the same steps 99 times before and hit a wall)

8. MinecraftJr948

MinecraftJr948 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    I'm stuck on 9.2/10.2 limbo on a n3ds, and sysupdater won't work. The newest one without memchunkhax black screens, and the older versions kick me out into hb menu. Help.

9. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Try a different entrypoint. Cubic Ninja works best, Ocarina of Time 3D is also good.

10. punderino

punderino aka Big-Dick Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    PM me, I'll help you fix it. I had a insane frankenfirmware.

11. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Try SafeSysUpdater, too. I trie dfor over 3 hours to get SysUpdater to work, no dice, first shot with SafeSysUpdater went off without a hitch.

12. Osga21
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    The Cosmos
    Oh right, forgot to update you guys in this whole situation. I used safesysupdater(sysupdater didn't want to start) do downgrade, and I'm 99℅ sure that it completed successfully, all thats left is to install cfw, as soon as I get home.

13. Ozonex

Ozonex Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    What if I downgraded using safesysupdater and got frankerwirmwared? Do I use sysupdater or safesys to resume the downgrading process?

14. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    It depends in your FIRM (not NVer) version.

15. Ozonex

Ozonex Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    I'm not really sure that I understood your reply, my n3ds got the error a lil bit after NATIVE_FIRM got downgraded iirc. I can use games but not system settings/browser, im buying oot this week for regaining back access to HBL, I suppose that my FIRM is 9.2 but who knows

16. Blue Lamb

Blue Lamb GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2007
    United States
    My friend has this same problem as OP. Black screen trying to run cfw after 9.9 downgrade to 9.2 on n3ds. I told him to try running sysupdater again and it worked for him. he was able to run the cfw afterward.

17. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    To use OoT you need an already successfully hacked 3DS to write the payload onto the cart.

18. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States

Ideally not. Best way is just about any route but this...that being said, if NOTHING else works, falling back to this as a last resort is fine (ideally after hardmodding).

19. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    just experienced this myself, system settings shows 9.2 but only get black screen whenever try to run gateway
    run the sysupdater again and now it works as expected

20. Ozonex

Ozonex Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    Yeah I know, I have a good friend that is going to let me his 3ds but the question is wether to use safesysupdater or normal sysupdater to resume the process