Am I Missing Something? Extracting ISOs from WBFS

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by higuys, Apr 15, 2009.

Apr 15, 2009
  1. higuys
    OP

Newcomer higuys Advanced Member

Australia
    quick question, once you've dumped a game onto your external hdd, and then extracted the ISO using a WBFS manager (on Windows), does the ISO need to be patched or something to make it worked once burned? the games run perfectly through the usb loader, but once burned and played on the wii they give an error message. i know i'm not the only person and i'm just wondering if i'm not doing something. if that justs happens then it's fine, i'm just trying to be informed and i've searched for a little while.

2. Don Killah

Member Don Killah GBAtemp Maniac

France
    i don't think that it's possible to burn a "wbfsed" game because in the process, the original iso is stripped down in size by removing irrelevant files like dummies/updates (only the "partition" folder's content is copied to the hd)... but those irrelevant files are need in a regular iso format.

3. Darkstar87

Newcomer Darkstar87 Member

United Kingdom
    I've had the same problem, I think TroyTheZombie noticed this a while ago too. As far as i can see extraction in windows causes some corruption or problem with the game iso. I'd like to try in Linux as (i think) the program that all gui's are based on was origionally Linux based and ported to Windows. Mind you, I'm no expert and don't have much time to explore this at the moment.

4. Darkstar87

Newcomer Darkstar87 Member

United Kingdom
    Aaaah, maybe extraction to pc and then add to wbfs hdd using a wbfs manager would work?

5. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Do you mean that they don't launch through the disc channel? I'm pretty sure they'd be trucha signed - since they are the game partition only - they might (should) launch through gamma / softchip if you put the disc in after loading those apps.

6. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    burning a wbfsed game does work. I`ve done it many times already. the games load up in the disc channel and works through gecko os

7. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    I can also say that a game that has been burned works in gamma as well. So there should be no problem with them.

8. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    where did you get this information from? i thought wbfs just scrubbs the isos but doesn't touch them in any other way.

9. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    I have copied a full iso to the WBFS drive using BRFS manager 2.2 and then extracted it back ti ISO and burnt it and tested it on gamma loader and it worked ok.

I wanted to check this before i deleted my windows ISO's.

If your having issues can you confirm what Firmware you have on your wii , what cIOS rev you have and what Gamma loader your using and any other relevant info like WBFS app your using please ?

10. higuys
    OP

Newcomer higuys Advanced Member

Australia
    thanks for the repliese. i'm on 3.2, with trucha signed games working, and cios rev 9.

11. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I opened one up in wiiscrubber and had a look at the disc contents.

Try it -> http://img2.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mkwii.png

The discs are significantly smaller than scrubs...

12. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I don't have any technical facts to back it up, but I read in another thread that WBFS only extracts the game partition.bin file and places that on the hard drive, instead of the whole ISO filesystem. The update partition (and any other overhead) are all left out of the picture, which is why games installed on WBFS are even smaller than a scrubbed/compressed image (which still contains the updates, etc).

I assume when you extract a game from WBFS, it rebuilds a generic ISO filesystem and injects the game partition.bin into that, essentially creating an ISO file that is not 100% identical to the original, but should still function properly.

13. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    So i thought ide ask since im in the process of dumping my WBFS

I made my partition for games too damn big (500gb) and want to make a new smaller partition for games and one for avi.

If i dump, then format,then Reinstall. will all my games still function correctly from USBL?

14. AlexDP

Member AlexDP GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Guys, to clarify, wbfs_win (at the moment) and all GUIs (I'm pretty sure) only copy the game partition over to the WBFS drive. There is an option in libwbfs to make 1:1 copies (although I'm not so sure it's completely correct), but the result of that would be games taking up full sizes on the WBFS drive. I was considering at one point of giving the user the option to make 1:1 copies, but I've since removed it as, like I said, I'm not convinced the libwbfs code for it works at the moment.

15. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    someone please respond to my common sense question -.-

16. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yes, you can dump them and reinstall them and they'll work.