Altered Carbon TV series

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I saw series 2 over the last however long after missing that it was even a thing.

Think series 1 was more captivating and compelling in both the initial and rewatch, though in some ways this one might have been the more consistent (though consistent is not necessarily a synonym for good). At the same time I am not half as down on this as some seem to be and certainly don't regret it. Filled in a nice bit of backstory, and "what happened next?". At the same time ending on series 1 could have been something of a high note. Villains were nothing to particularly note, intrigue was not quite there, characterisation of main character (now a different actor by the way but in context of the show that is no big deal) or at least any interesting traits he might have had other than "is hard bastard" fell by the wayside other than maybe three occasions, several of which were in the first episode. Don't think netflix is quite the curse of sci fi on fox but they could be heading that way.

Still have the books to read though, been sitting there awaiting it for a while now. Don't know if any of those, or sticking more closely to one, would have done better.

For mind trip and intrigue I have been watching the Marvel show Legion, having never known a thing about it before (or probably asked "the one with the angel?" had you mentioned the name). That is doing spectacularly and probably where I would go if you missed that.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The 2nd season is out already? It seems like yesterday it was in "talks" and then in the "works" but the release must have been waaaay low key for some reason? I haven't seen a single trailer or anything.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Saw the animated... time and distance in the show's universe make prequels and sequels meaningless (though I suppose technically a sequel if a throwaway line in the first few minutes is anything to go by). The animation style was not for me though serviceable enough and the story barely did anything with his envoy abilities which is half the fun. You will not gain much of anything if you have not read the book/seen the first series (and possibly second) other than genero anime action film, and even if you have then you are going to be making your own fun as it were. It is not unfitting or deleterious to the universe it is in but you can also continue to skip it.

Also found the first book in real form (had the ebooks since the earlier posts but never got around to it) in a charity shop a week or so back so have pretty much finished with that in the last few days as well. In some ways I am actually more impressed now with the first series and my opinion of the second series has slid. I would say go in cold if you can as I spent most of it comparing it to the show despite being years since I saw it. I don't know what is in the book sequels but I imagine the show probably borrowed some features and elements from them to pad it out for reasons I am not entirely sure of, and more generally the changes were largely respectful which is a pleasant change.

What I will say though is series 1 could have done with watching

Done with lessons from that it would have been magnificent, instead solid effort is what we got.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.