Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Wii-U-Console.jpg

Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analogue Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world.

The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once.

The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU: IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.

Note: Details are subject to change.[/p]

While Nintendo normally doesn't like to talk numbers when touting a new system's capabilities, the companies providing those capabilities have no such qualms.

Like IBM, who today issued a press release boasting some of the Wii U's hardware specifications, including the fact the microprocessor serving as "the heart" of the console is a custom 45nm chip, with embedded DRAM that "is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience".

So, 45nm chip, embedded DRAM, multi-core processor. It's not everything, but it's a start. The chips will be made at an IBM facility in New York.

Additionally, IBM tells Engadget that the processor is based on the same technology used in the Watson supercomputer, the one that's been kicking human ass lately. It's not the same, of course, but is at least based on the same technology.[/p]
Like IBM, hardware company AMD has also issued a release boasting of its support for Nintendo's new Wii U console.

While the company of course refrains from posting hard statistics, it does say it has provided a "custom AMD Radeon HD GPU" for the system.

This of course isn't a shock, since AMD also helped Nintendo out on both the GameCube and the Wii, but if you wanted to know who was supplying the graphics for this new console, AMD is your answer.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Source

First one was the spec sheet released on Nintendo's press site.
But aside from that, holy gods! Custom GPU from AMD. Custom quad core CPU from IBM... based off WATSON!
So... does this mean if it asks for your location, it's not going to recognize Toronto?

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This console is gonna be awesome. At first I was kinda skeptical but it does seem like they're gonna be bringing some awesome support for this console (maybe we'll get gamecube virtual console games). I do hope they plan to expand the Virtual Console library for this console as well. This console is shaping up to be a beast also wasn't Nintendo planning to use blu-ray as the disc based media for the console?

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
No way. In order to use Blu Ray, Nintendo would have to pay licensing fees to Sony themselves. Nintendo refused to do this even with the Wii and DVDs. The Wii's DVDs were Nintendo's own proprietary version designed to dodge the fees. I imagine they've done the same thing here, and have created their own Blu ray disks.

lordrand11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
No way. In order to use Blu Ray, Nintendo would have to pay licensing fees to Sony themselves. Nintendo refused to do this even with the Wii and DVDs. The Wii's DVDs were Nintendo's own proprietary version designed to dodge the fees. I imagine they've done the same thing here, and have created their own Blu ray disks.

Interestingly enough, but how would they're BD discs compare to standard blu-ray format. Would the size be modified. I mean looking at the Wii games out on the market the majority just aren't that big (physical game data wise). Would we still see this when it came down to Blu Ray format? Can't wait to find out though.

HeadHunt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hope the Wii U will give us some better FIFA games, I hated the childish FIFA games on the Wii.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, how powerful is this system? In comparison to 360 and PS3. I really want to know, but I'm no good with system specs.

lordrand11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omgpwn666 said:
So, how powerful is this system? In comparison to 360 and PS3. I really want to know, but I'm no good with system specs.

Supposedly right now it's supposed to be at the least as powerful as the PS3 at the most more-so with the Graphics chip and multi-core processor with the DRAM that'll be inside it. Of course that being said you can't go leaps and bounds ahead right now considering the tech we have.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
omgpwn666 said:
POWER7 architecture > Cell processor, I should think.
The GPU, however, is unknown. It's a custom AMD chip, but that could really be anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1