All in one Emulator, or an Emultaor to run Emulators?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by DSMuse, Oct 25, 2008.

1. DSMuse
    OP

Newcomer DSMuse Member

United States
    Ok so... this is driving me nuts. Thanks for reading and any help you might have!

I had hoped in buying a DS slot 1 card emulator deal, that I could run all sorts of game roms on my nds. But it looks like they all just run DS games.

Sure, that's nice, since that means I don't have to rebuy all my games in Japanese when I discover my English one got maimed during importation, but still.

What I really, really want to do is this, especially because the NDSI is coming out in a few months:

Be able to run NDS roms, GBA roms, GBC roms, and GB roms from my slot 1 Micro-chip ds cartridge-deal on my NDS.

At least, can people point me to a GBA, GBC, & GB emulator (in other words, like an original gba emulator) that runs on a slot 1 NDS cartridge? All of the ones I've seen appear to be slot 2 (aka the gba slot, which wont be available for NDSI.) Then at least I just have to have two micro chips, one for ds games and one for GBA, GBC, GB.

I mean... is there an emulator to let me put multiple emulators on there? I've heard of 3 in 1 deals but those also are all GBA slot ones...
    Are there even GBA emulators that use slot1 and not slot 2?

Is there a converter to update old roms to .nds files?

Sorry, I know I'm going nuts on the questions. I'm just so frustrated on this...

Thanks for your time and any help. I really appreciate it.

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    There is a GB/C emulator called lameboy, but GBA emulation on DS is impossible.

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    There are no Gameboy Advance emulators for the DS. The Slot-2 actually uses GBA Hardware within the Nintendo DS.

I think there are a couple of GBC and GB emulators out there for Slot-1, though.

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    There are no GBA-emulators available for the DS since it has the actual hardware to run GBA-games. However you'll need either a full-fledged slot 2 flashcart or a slot 2 expansion pak to be able to play GBA-games.

There are emulators for GB/GBC though and the best there is atm is Lameboy.

5. DSMuse
    OP

Newcomer DSMuse Member

United States
    Thanks people.

But ok, a few more questions then.

Do you think when the NDSI comes out someone will make a GBA emulator?

And the big one is this: can I put a GBC/GB emulator (probably lameboy) on the same micro card as my ds one (right now my DS emulator is DSone, is there a well known better one?) and choose which emulator to run, or will they both try to launch at the same time and backfire on me?

Thanks again!

6. Minox

Sweden
    You'll be able to choose which one to boot when you start your DS.

7. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Whoh, Supercard DS one isn't an Emulator. It just boots NDS files, and it uses the DS hardware to run, not emulate.

8. DSMuse
    OP

Newcomer DSMuse Member

United States
    So that's why I couldn't get it to work >> Thanks. I'm... not good with this stuff. I dled lameboy. So now I have to find a DS emlator run my nds roms right? Because I don't think having DSone on there will let me run Lameboy...

9. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Why would you need an NDS emulator when you already have the hardware?

10. Chaaru

Newcomer Chaaru Advanced Member

United States
    It's called a Nintendo DSi, not "DSI". The I is lower case.

Sorry, it's just that seeing people spell things like "Ipod" and "IMAC" really bothers me...

11. DSMuse
    OP

Newcomer DSMuse Member

United States
    Ok, I didn't think I did. (I'm sorry, I'm so bad at this...)

But when I launch my ds now, I get this message:

"No find SCFW.SC file!
    Please turn off NDS!"

So I assumed that meant that the .sc file is something that the nds files need to run and I don't have it? Unless my Nitnendo DS decided it hates me and is broken...

Or do I still need to use my DSone to run my .nds game files, because it wont let me launch lameboy after launching DSone.

P.S. and it's spelled iPod, isn't it? So isn't NDSI less copying than NDSi? Besides, I wasn't meaning to copy, if I was, I woud have put the I before it, as the joke is going around like that anyway.

12. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The guy's clueless, that's why.

Look, if you have a DS, and a flashcart, you don't need an emulator.
    Emulators emulate systems. You can't emulate a system.. on that system... it's not emulation. You have the hardware, like Law says.

DSMuse, put the scshell folder from this download on your microsd
    http://eng.supercard.cn/soft_scdsone_sdhc.htm

13. Minox

Sweden
  14. DSMuse
    OP

Newcomer DSMuse Member

United States
    Yes, I am clueless,and I'm sorry for the trouble.

I believe I got lameboy to run under the DSone now, so it looks like it's working.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for bothering you guys; I really didn't know where to go to get help for someone as new to all this as me, so I came here. Thank you.

15. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This is the correct place. [​IMG]
    Yours is not the dumbest question asked, and at least you can understand when you're told what's right. Unlike maaaaaaaany others before you.
    Help can always be found here.

16. Chaaru

Newcomer Chaaru Advanced Member

United States
    I know it's called "iPod"!! You didn't understand my post properly! Read it slowly.

I'm not saying you're copying anything, I'm just correcting you on how to spell it correctly. Just because the DSi has a lower case I it doesn't mean it's copying things like iPods or iMacs or anything like that.

It's spelled "DSi". That's what Nintendo named it. Not "DSI". Understand?

17. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Since you've got Lameboy working correctly, here's a couple other emulators you can try out: NES DS for NES games, SNEmulDS for SNES games (not the greatest compatibility though), and jEnesisDS for Genesis games. Of these, only SNEmulDS will require you to do anything special in terms of file placement - put snemul.cfg on the root of your card, your *.smc game files in a folder called "SNES" on the root of your card, and the SNEmulDS.nds file anywhere you want.

18. El Blacksheep

Member El Blacksheep GBAtemp Regular

United States
    when i installed emulators on my ds, my favorite games were unplayable [​IMG]

19. DSMuse
    OP

Newcomer DSMuse Member

United States
    MM: Oh! I get it now. haha. I misread, sorry.

ElB: I've had that problem once before, but I redownloaded and it worked for me. Also make sure to put the games in the correct subfolders your emulator tells you to (Like lameboy for lameboy, etc, it's in the readme.)

20. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Having a folder for Lameboy is optional. I believe if it finds a /Lameboy/ folder, it defaults to that, but if there isn't one it just starts in the root. Because I'm a jackass, my Game Boy ROM folder is called /GBC/, so I have to navigate to it first, but it hasn't killed me yet.