Review Alex's book reviews

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yay, book reviews, was my first thought.
Then I saw Nintendo Power and Bleach, and I knew this had all been written by a twelve-year-old. Only to be confirmed when I read the bit about the His Dark Materials trilogy. (I admit I laughed when I you said "What's Milton's Paradise Lost?")

I was expecting book reviews and I got a child's opinion on almost anything that has letters on it. Gee, thanks.

ANYHOO, since people are recommending books......
Currently busy with Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters series. The first one (Fire Rose) was a really fun read, but I'm really plodding through the second, hoping the plot will pick up. Her Heralds of Valdemar books are also really nice.
His Dark Materials has a special place in my heart (even though I doubt the Book of Dust will be any good (We already got closure, no need to write another book)).

Orson Scott Card. The Ender series and the Homecoming series are some of the best books I have ever read. Ender series did go completely off-topic after the third book, but they fleshed out the universe, so that's all right. Homecoming series turned out to be the freaking mormon. bible in space, but somehow didn't degenerate into being about religion, and actually turned out to be an excellent read.

Frank Herbert. The Dune series. You can't possibly have NOT heard about them if you even remotely like sci-fi. Do yourself a favor though and stop reading once you've completed God-Emperor on Dune.

Clive Barker. Sacrament, The thief of always, Cabal, The Great and Secret Show, and Coldheart Canyon were all excellent.

Queen's Gambit by Tevis Walter is a superb book about a young orphan who turns out to be an excellent chess player, and her life as she grows up, struggling with alcohol.

AND! Eugene Woodbury actually translated (from Japanese) three of the Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms) novels by Fuyumi Ono, which are excellent light novels (and have been partially adapted into an anime, which was also excellent).

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jdandy, I never quite could get into Dune. I've read two thirds of Dune two times, and I still find myself losing interest. I'll have to give it another go.

As to the OP, your opinions are good but need more structure. A deeper analysis would also be welcomed.

Edgedancer is 100% right about Matthew Reilly. I heard the guy speak and own all of his novels so far, and they're all brilliant. Even Contest, which he wrote at a young age, still manages to enthrall you.

I also have fond memories of Deltora Quest, although the series got a bit ridiculous near the end.

As for books I'd recommend;

Monster Blood Tattoo series: Juvenile fiction, but the world intrigues me, enough to get past the "orphan-goes-and-does-some-stuff" plot line that is common in 90% of fantasy these days. I won't delve too deep into the books or the world, save to say that the sea is made of vinegar, the monsters aren't always monsters, and being a lamplighter could possibly be the most dangerous job of all.

Star Wars - Legacy of The Force series: More juvenile fiction, this time set in the Star Wars universe. It involves the rise of a new Sith Lord (as usual) but raises some interesting questions about what is right and wrong.

The Wheel of Time series: I'm up to book six and I'm loving it. This series involves the prophesied return of an individual called The Dragon, who will save them all from the Shadow. It's a lot more complex than that though. Definitely a must-read series, but they're a bit of a slog (average about 700 pages).

Tom Clancy: I love Tom Clancy. Anything written by him (and when I say by him, I mean by him, not some other author whose just slapped Tom Clancy's name on the cover) I'm reading Rainbow Six at the moment and I can't put it down.

His Dark Materials has already been mentioned, and I don't feel the need to impress it upon you any more. Read it. Now.

That's all for now. I'm seriously considering writing more in-depth reviews, and perhaps even a "companion" to a book. Basically I think it would be along the lines of you read a chapter, then you can read my companion for analysis of it. I don't know how well it would work, but I'd be sure happy for any suggestions of books I should write a companion for.

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
QUOTE said:
MANGA

Whee, this is my favorite section. God knows I read too much of this stuff.

BLEACH

This is one of those hard to come by manga - it's gripping from the start, it's bloody, gory, AND it has a great storyline. Very few manga succeed to do this in a balanced way. This manga also succeeds in multiple story telling - there are side characters with their own storylines, and they aren't just there for filler space. Being able to use more than just the main character in a manga takes skill, and this manga succeeds in every possible way.

This gets a 10/10.

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

This is another one of those manga you can't put down. I read through 15 volumes in less than a week - it's that good. The action's intense, the storytelling great, and more plot twists than a carnival "fun" house. Even the fighting is complex - the complete reinvention of alchemy within this story allows for some great fights. Parts of this manga wanted to make me cry - and others wanted me to keep staring at the blood-filled pages. This is one of those precious gems that you MUST get.

This gets a freaking 11/10. THAT'S RIGHT. ELEVEN.
am i the only one who agrees with this whole part?
frown.gif

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
If anyone sees this topic, can you please tell me what you think of the Edge Chronicles as I have yet to hear of another soul that enjoys the series.
Well, I stopped reading them a while back, along with all fantasy books, but when I did I loved them. It's all very unique and quirky, which is great stuff. The illustrations are fantastic too, and really bring the books alive (though usually there are only a few). Don't remember much about the story bar from sky pirates, floating rocks and the main character called Twig.

Anyway, I've found I don't find fantasy interesting any more. Maybe my imagination died or something, but the magic and epic-ness in books such as Lord Of The Rings is just lost on me now.

Nowadays, I'm having to read classics because of Literature A Level. The Great Gatsby, A Streetcar Named Desire and Birdsong are books I would've previously considered extremely boring, but I'm now able to marvel at the genius, execution and issues covered in the books. Perhaps I sound like an old man now (even if I'm only 16), but being able to at least somewhat appreciate a few classics is great. I still find the majority pretty dull though aha.

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Private|Parts said:
Tom Clancy: I love Tom Clancy. Anything written by him (and when I say by him, I mean by him, not some other author whose just slapped Tom Clancy's name on the cover) I'm reading Rainbow Six at the moment and I can't put it down.

Sometimes I have a hard time finding the real TC books and Tom Slap-ons D: I wonder if there is a "genuine TC" list anywhere on the internet *goes to look*

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pokewiz99 said:
Welcome to my book review topic. Here, I will NOT be a droning idiot like the New York Times, and I WILL actually suggest some good readings.
(Um, sorry about typos, my keyboard is... being an idiot.)

Well, here's what I shall currently recommend:

MAGAZINES

NINTENDO POWER

This is a magazine for every person who owns a nintendo system, hands down. One of the greatest magazines ever... or at least it WAS. With Future US now owning the magazine for over a year now, it's not nearly as good as it once was, but it is still a great source of information about anything Nintendo.

I reccomend this with a 9/10.
lol hell no. Compare nintendo power to a long time ago, now it's shit. They just want to improve on visuals, but everything inside is kinda, you know. I'll give it a 7. Also, it's a nintendo only magazine.
GAME INFORMER

If you own any of the current generation home console systems, this magazine is for you. It's free with a purchase of an Edge card at your local Gamestop (I think...) and it's not too bad. While there are many Wii suck-jokes in there (God, it deserves it), and the magazine does tend to focus on the 360/PS3 (well, not much interesting is ever announced for the Wii) it's still a great source of info for anyone who gives a shit.

I reccomend this with an 8.5/10.
Barely any "true" facts in here. In game informer, many articles are biased. Once they say something is good, they try to make it seem like there is nothing bad about it.
PC Gamer

First off, I don't own a gaming PC. the only PC game I own is the original Halo. But I still love this magazine. It has a nice layout, and seems professional, yet also somewhat childish in terms of humor. The reviews are set up great, and while it makes me sad to not be able to PLAY these games, it is a joy to read about all the fucked up PC games out there.

A 9/10.
never seen this before.
MANGA

Whee, this is my favorite section. God knows I read too much of this stuff.

BLEACH

This is one of those hard to come by manga - it's gripping from the start, it's bloody, gory, AND it has a great storyline. Very few manga succeed to do this in a balanced way. This manga also succeeds in multiple story telling - there are side characters with their own storylines, and they aren't just there for filler space. Being able to use more than just the main character in a manga takes skill, and this manga succeeds in every possible way.

This gets a 10/10.
OVERRATED!!!!!!
FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

This is another one of those manga you can't put down. I read through 15 volumes in less than a week - it's that good. The action's intense, the storytelling great, and more plot twists than a carnival "fun" house. Even the fighting is complex - the complete reinvention of alchemy within this story allows for some great fights. Parts of this manga wanted to make me cry - and others wanted me to keep staring at the blood-filled pages. This is one of those precious gems that you MUST get.

This gets a freaking 11/10. THAT'S RIGHT. ELEVEN.
The story is dragging now. Seriously.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For whoever said they were enjoying the Wheel of Time series, I highly suggest reading the Sword of Truth series from Terry Goodkind. Excellent books.

And Waddle as for stealing your ideas, its not so much stealing as improvng on a good idea that was poorly executed.

Also, as I was saying, I'd love to do a book review section because this one is rife with tween fantasy books, and I prefer something a little more grown up.

Now I am not saying there aren't good young adult novels (Pratchett Tiffany Aching novels are a great example) but I'd like to see some more "grown up books" reviewed.

And for whoever mentioned Clive Barker, I'd suggest you read Weaveworld, its my favourite by him.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: To ensure Florida is the freest state in the country, we will ban colors.