Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the links should be updated. i'll do that now.

as for 7z, winrar supports rar, zip and 7z. its free to use and is the most universal tool. i do realize you can't compress to a 7z but most users are only concerned with decompression. linking to winrar helps ends up hitting 3 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

does 7z support zip and rar now? if it does can it both compress and decompress all 3 formats?

also i should add that akaio is always uploaded as a zip and sometimes as a rar by other people. is there even a 7z upload hosted at gbatemp?

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
does 7z have an application for linux/unix, windows and mac? winrar does.

the argument that 7z does zip and tar is really irrelevant. both algorithms are antiquated outdated formats that should be forgotten like ace and arj.

the two best formats, especially for this hobby, are winrar at best compression and 7z. a tool that does both 7z and rar, both decompression and compression would be the ideal solution. although winrar might be slower it has a better compression efficiency over 7z, both binaries and text.

i think these facts and the point that akaio has always been upped as zip/rar means that winrar wins.

lets give this time to allow everyone who updates the wiki to chime in and post their thoughts.

if it is decided to update than after you update the link please make sure you also rewrite the part in the FAQ and any other mention of winrar and decompressing akaio. the update must be consistent throughout the wiki.

-another world

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
does 7z have an application for linux/unix, windows and mac? winrar does.
Yes and all versions are free. WinRAR is not free.

QUOTE(Another World @ May 23 2009, 07:30 PM) although winrar might be slower it has a better compression efficiency over 7z, both binaries and text.
That is not true. It is slower and compresses less. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of...n_of_efficiency

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
I personally prefer WinRAR because I feel it is more simple to use. Also ZIP and RAR file formats are more widely used which somewhat suggests it would be more appropriate for users to use WinRAR. Although 7zip can also be useful for extracting 7z files as stated above I find the interface hard to navigate and also does not remember the last folder it was in which is annoying to some extent.

Also, a totally unrelated question. Should the following statement be changed as (I think) newer AK2 loaders can be used with the AK2i.

QUOTE said:
Official AK2 Loader

The official AK2 loaders can be used by AKAIO to load retail ROM dumps. This is an outdated method as the AKAIO loaders are currently more up-to-date and optimized more often, however, the option still remains for those who wish to make use of it. To install, the firmware file akmenu4.nds must be placed in the __aio/ak2loader/ directory. You can rename the official loader if you like (IE: ak4.11.nds, ak4.12.nds, etc). Renaming the loaders allows you to have multiple official loaders for use with AKAIO at any one time. To use the loader, select an .NDS file, and open up the file properties by pressing the Y button (or use the Start menu). Press Y again to bring up the .NDS options. You can now change the loader from AKAIO to an AK2 official loader

This option is for use with an AK2 only, and not the R.P.G. or AK2i

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
@logical thinker: i've been using winrar for years and have never registered it. last i checked it is shareware, you can pay for it to kill that popup msg if you wish. are you saying they have changed that?

@raing3: external loaders are blocked on the ak2i. the very fact that the heading mentions the ak2 loader implies that it is for the ak2 and not the ak/ak+/ak2i/ak r.p.g.. if you check the loader directory you will see there is a different loader for each kit, thus enforcing the obviousness of the heading. if anything i would add something to the first sentence and not a large bold red font under the body of text. finally the last sentece says "You can now change the loader from AKAIO to an AK2 official loader." how is this not clear enough?

granted it could be reworded a bit, and i might do that as i work on cleaning up the wiki this next few weeks, but the facts seem clear enough. it has been reworded.

raing3 said:
Also, a totally unrelated question. Should the following statement be changed as (I think) newer AK2 loaders can be used with the AK2i.

This option is for use with an AK2 only, and not the R.P.G. or AK2i

you said that the statement should be changed because you think that the new official loader can be used from within akaio on the ak2i, but then in red you state that it can't be used on the ak2i. you have just contradicted yourself.

if something isn't clear then discuss it here so we can reword it. do not simply edit up the wiki with single line bolded statements because something was unclear to you. the akaio documentation is the best for any flash linker on the market. it reads like a precise user manual and guides the user on what they can and can not do. let us keep up that higher level by writing in grammatically concise english sentences.

-another world

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahhm... Sorry... I was quoting from the wiki and just highlighted the part I thought should be changed, forgot to wrote it was a quote from the wiki. I wasn't trying to contradict myself but I thought it should be re-written because it was only the older AK2 loaders which bricked the AK2i and the newer AK2 loaders seem to work on the AK2i, I tried this last night because #0389 goes to a white screen with the AKAIO loaders but works when using the official AK2 loader). Sorry for the confusion.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i will have to speak to norm about that. last i was told was that the execution of external loaders was blocked on the ak2i from within akaio. did you reread the section? i updated it and it reads much cleaner now.

i know for a fact that norm tested all the AC fixes with #0223. he stated it numerious times in #acekard. why not just use that rom?

-another world

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I've read it, it looks good. I also changed to the #1479 ROM now as it works. Seems like only the EU ROM doesn't work (sorry Normmatt for the extra work). Either way the wiki is great and documents the functionality of AKAIO very well.

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
@logical thinker: i've been using winrar for years and have never registered it. last i checked it is shareware, you can pay for it to kill that popup msg if you wish. are you saying they have changed that?
I didn't know that.
Well, forget that suggestion.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
a non logged in user (79.30.92.36) adjusted the wiki to state that the wifi update in 1.4.1 is not working on the dsi. i hate when people just feel the need to update the wiki without discussing it. i've heard no such complaints. i know norm is deving on the dsi and has said nothing about it. can someone confirm this? until it is confirmed it will be removed from the wiki, as it appears as though it might be an issue with 1 dsi.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...amp;oldid=26527

-another world

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
strange
I wanted to update the wiki once (not logged in) and it said something about no vandalism and your IP is recorded or something and it ignored my change automatically
since then the message hasn't gone away if I'm not logged in (quite annoying)

edit:
QUOTE said:
Your IP address is recorded at all times, any vandalism will result in your IP address/range being permanently banned from both the wiki and the main forums. We will NOT tolerate vandalism.
will everyone thats not logged in see that message?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Smiths via IRC said:
05:50 pm • someone is an idiot
05:50 pm • and should be shot
05:50 pm • fuckin remove that
05:50 pm • and find out who added it
05:51 pm • considering i programmed the Wifi Loader using my DSi

yea so, who added that? come forward and admit your mistake. do not make me submit your IP for banning.

@tj_cool: when i don't log in, usually i forget to turn on cookies, it tells me something along those lines and makes me do a simple math problem before it allows the edit. then my IP is in the history list with the edit info.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
its damn annoying when people edit the wiki just because they can. there have been a series of 1 line edits which either reword what is worded above it or claim something is broken when its not. it pisses me off. why are users so full of assumptions. just because their shit is broken they always assume its that way for everyone. they never come to #acekard or post in this thread. they just edit and run.

-another world

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's the bad thing about wikis, anybody can edit. I didn't know that anonymous people can do it too. I thought you had to log in? It would be much better if there was a way to restrict access to certain users.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality