Hacking AKAIO 1.2 Released

Well?

• Tonic Water

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Resolve

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Normmatt Posted Today, 02:20 AM
The only problem is that it would require me to modify the boot from of the AK2 which could essentially brick your AK2. Which makes me lean towards an exteneral program that would do it so that only people who know the risks will even attempt it.

Sounds a little scary...I'll prolly stick with the autoboot soft-mod

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello to everybody.

I'm new in that forum and i want to ask normmat for some ideas for next or future AKAIOs. I´m not a programmer so sorry if i propose you a nonsense.

May be a great addon if akaio may patch on the fly *.nds/*.gba roms with *.patch/*.ips so it's not be necesary to apply them every time that come out a new translation or hack.

Is it more difficult to let apply AR cheats to original cartrige?

What about real time save? no for next release but for future once.
unsure.gif

How to transform a program into a plugin for akaio?

Many thanks for all your efforts and hard work AKAIO is the best firmware I have seen in all the flashcarts I know.
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif

PS: Sorry if if there's some mistakes and for my foolish ideas.
blink.gif

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Health bypass would be cool, but only if it was "safe"... the reason I haven't flashed is because I read too many posts of people bricking, which isn't a good risk for the 2 seconds it takes me to hit the a button.

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I'm also having issues with using cheats on AKAIO. Does anyone know which database file I should be using with AKAIO, because most of my cheats never or only rarely work.

Currently I'm using USRCHEAT.DAT from Narin's cheat database.

Chri5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
akaio can use the xml and dat cheat files... get them from the cheat db here

and when is the akaio update coming, i need a feature!

priv8dan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suggestions I would like to add to this incredible loader:

1) A multi sav loader, so it can load saved files from different flash carts?
2) Using zip files for skins instead of another directory?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Takoru said:
This message is upcoming:

Error not enough Space:
memory allocation error

btw.: there is enough space, 200mb on my sd card and 900mb on my nand.
I'm noticing this same problem. I don't typically copy+paste much via the AK OS except to back up saves, and I'm getting this error.

It's happening regardless if I paste to my normal SD card (japan Kingston) or to the onboard RPG memory. And we're talking small .sav files with over 200MB free space on either of these.

More importantly, it didn't happen on previous AKAIO versions. Seems to just be the latest 1.2. I just got done reformatting my RPG and adding a fresh copy of AKAIO to see if it would resolve the problem, but it has not.

Chri5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
priv8dan said:
Suggestions I would like to add to this incredible loader:

1) A multi sav loader, so it can load saved files from different flash carts?
2) Using zip files for skins instead of another directory?

it already has a multisave function. oh wait your talking about other things...
its pointless have anything other than .sav because .sav is the best name for the file extension

90th posts WOOT

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dib said:
I'm noticing this same problem. I don't typically copy+paste much via the AK OS except to back up saves, and I'm getting this error.

It's happening regardless if I paste to my normal SD card (japan Kingston) or to the onboard RPG memory. And we're talking small .sav files with over 200MB free space on either of these.

More importantly, it didn't happen on previous AKAIO versions. Seems to just be the latest 1.2. I just got done reformatting my RPG and adding a fresh copy of AKAIO to see if it would resolve the problem, but it has not.
Once again (this is about the third time I've mentioned it in this thread), it's nothing to do with the memory available on your sd or nand. Formatting your sd with the panasonic tool might help, but in the end the error is because the DS's memory is consumed and it cannot allocate enough for the copy loop's memory buffer (when copying a file, it's read into main memory then written to the new file.) I'm hoping they are going to make the loaders external to the main app, freeing up around 5-600k of memory by doing so (quite a big chunk considering the DS only has about 3.5M available to arm9) which just may be enough to stop such problems (though I suspect there are also some missing free()'s somewhere where there is a malloc(), or that simply having 2 separate devices running along with two open file descriptors on RPG is taking up a big chunk of memory.)
QUOTE(Chri5 @ Sep 23 2008, 11:58 PM) 90th posts WOOT
1,227th post, big woot.
rofl.gif
(not quite 1337)

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cory1492 said:
Once again (this is about the third time I've mentioned it in this thread), it's nothing to do with the memory available on your sd or nand. Formatting your sd with the panasonic tool might help, but in the end the error is because the DS's memory is consumed and it cannot allocate enough for the copy loop's memory buffer (when copying a file, it's read into main memory then written to the new file.)

Isn't it possible to check the memory available and then copy a file in chunks instead of trying to load the whole thing into memory and then writing it back out?

-Bri

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Normmatt said:
Would anyone else be interested in me adding autoboot mode to the ak2 (like flashme where it boot straight into the flashcart instead of the health and safety window).

personally i like being able to go into the nds boot screen, with the ability to change options and use pictochat and download play without having to take out my flash kit. i always hated that with my r4, always popping it out to use those things. a boot straight to the akaio firmware, if done, should be an on/off option. but if you can't guarantee the safty of it, i would just leave it alone. like it has already been said, whats 2 seconds of button clicking anyways.

i would still very much like to see a "hide" properties setting for files near cut/copy/etc =)

cheers
-another world

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Normmatt said:
Would anyone else be interested in me adding autoboot mode to the ak2 (like flashme where it boot straight into the flashcart instead of the health and safety window).
Depends on what you'd call interested. No, I wouldn't use it, I actually like the way the AK2 boots (like an original game) much more. But I would be interested in the way it works. How are you planning to do this? Is it possible to reflash the AK2 firmware or something?

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bri said:
Isn't it possible to check the memory available and then copy a file in chunks instead of trying to load the whole thing into memory and then writing it back out?
Of course it's possible, std malloc generally provides functions to do memory maintenance - but keep in mind, most such calls in the current code are "give me x bytes of memory to use right now" and when the DS can't (or the memory that is available is too fragmented, which again will fail malloc) it just produces an error (so not only would a memory maintenance routine be required, but anything that is currently malloc'd would have to be restructured to use it.) To me it's always best to unify such buffers so realloc/alloc/free chunk fragmentation and such are never an issue when there is next to no memory on the system, but - I don't have the source or the RPG hardware to work with the public source (not to mention I hate Cpp) so such things are not my call.

Moving the static data out of main memory's binary should cure the issue all round and put it back on the footing it was in before the extra loaders were added - unless something else big has been added.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
cory1492 said:
Bri said:
Of course it's possible, std malloc generally provides functions to do memory maintenance - but keep in mind, most such calls in the current code are "give me x bytes of memory to use right now" and when the DS can't (or the memory that is available is too fragmented, which again will fail malloc) it just produces an error (so not only would a memory maintenance routine be required, but anything that is currently malloc'd would have to be restructured to use it.) To me it's always best to unify such buffers so realloc/alloc/free chunk fragmentation and such are never an issue when there is next to no memory on the system, but - I don't have the source or the RPG hardware to work with the public source (not to mention I hate Cpp) so such things are not my call.

Moving the static data out of main memory's binary should cure the issue all round and put it back on the footing it was in before the extra loaders were added - unless something else big has been added.

bananas

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as how FlashMe already allows booting to slot1, slot2, or nds menu, I have v8 noauto

press "start" while booting = Nintendo Menu (with SC SD and RPG available)
press "B" while booting = Supercard SD in gb mode
press nothing = boot to RPG

So unless flashing had recovery code written in the 1st 1% like FlashMe, i wouldnt risk bricking my other AKs (already risked flashme, but to me it is 0 risk
tongue.gif
)

PanzerWF

Trophies
Website
zetta.l4rge.com
XP
Country
Canada
wasup said:
Yeah I'm also having issues with using cheats on AKAIO. Does anyone know which database file I should be using with AKAIO, because most of my cheats never or only rarely work.

Currently I'm using USRCHEAT.DAT from Narin's cheat database.

I think the problem is, is that you are not saving?

Like after you have turned on all the cheats you want, you should press Select so that the AK2 can build a .cc file of it so your cheats actually work. Do this everytime you want to change your cheats, otherwise you will never have to worry about it again.

But using CHEAT.DAT as a backup or alternative is a good idea too.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Smiths said:
Ah crap, with those in there I don't think it's going to work at all, they make for a really slippery surface indeed. On that note, I am hoping to have a few patches based on merged bliss shortly for yours and norms' consideration, but I'm not going to touch on these memory problems.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
Memory is all alone in the moonlight.

Anyone else having problems with Sonic RPG on this piece of crap AKAIO bullshit? It freezes everytime I save a game!!11 It'll save but I get a white screen after and have tio restart the DS!
Screw AKAIO, I want my Sonic!1

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Smiths Posted Today, 05:08 AM
Anyone else having problems with Sonic RPG on this piece of crap AKAIO bullshit? It freezes everytime I save a game!!11 It'll save but I get a white screen after and have tio restart the DS!
Screw AKAIO, I want my Sonic!

Herrrretic!! How dare you bash on AKAIO!!

I just tested SonicRPG on my RPG (running AIOv1.2hw:0d) and it saves(512k) just fine so far.

Bad rom, bubba?

garco

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Smiths said:
Memory is all alone in the moonlight.

Screw AKAIO, I want my Sonic!

Same here
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Two white screens!!!!
The save works but every time I must to reset the DS!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)