AK2i does not recognize its own SAV files

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by AC/DS, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010
  1. AC/DS
    OP

Member AC/DS GBAtemp Regular

Slovakia
    Well my AK2i just arrived from China so I put all the necessary files on MicroSD, including the latest AKAIO, and played 3 games for a while. I started them from scratch so there were no SAV files on the MicroSD.
    They are older titles Resident Evil DS, Sonic Sega Racing and Diddy Kong Racing .
    I made some progress and saved data, then restarted my DSi XL after a while and guess what.
    When I want to continue the games the AK2i tries to convince me there are no SAV files created. BUT THERE ARE! I can see them when viewing the MicroSD in my PC.
    So WTF is this? Never happened to me before with Acekard, although to be honest this is my first time trying AK2i on a DSi XL.
    UPDATE: Just found out one game's SAV works - it's Diddy Kong Racing, but the other two don't. Resi Evil DS is an old game so what the hell could be the problem. Also tried renaming the extensions to NDS.SAV, but it's the same.
    P.S. I have some pictures created by DSI camera on that MicroSD, could that be the cause?
    Basically I'm using the same SD card for both "official" DSi apps and roms.
    Anyone can give advice?

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If you're having MicroSD issues, the first think to check is did you format the MicroSD card with the SD Formatter?

Otherwise check the file extensions, they need to be lowercase .sav and not .SAV

you can use this quick save manager to rename them.

3. d3monsting

Member d3monsting GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I doubt using the same MicroSD makes a difference, though you COULD try with another, and MOVE the savs onto the new MicroSD card? Also, you might want to ensure that the sav files are not hidden?

Best wishes.

4. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    how about changing the .NDS.SAV > .nds.sav

5. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    I think you have to re-name it to .sav

i herd about a bug that makes it .SAV

But i am not sure, sorry.

6. AC/DS
    OP

Member AC/DS GBAtemp Regular

Slovakia
    For objectivity, I reformatted the MicroSD with Panasonic Formatter and all seems to be working fine so far.
    Originally, my MicroSD card was factory-formatted when I bought it so I thought no further formatting was needed.
    Anyway, my post was not intended to criticise AK2i in general, I still see it as one of the best cards on the market.

7. Whipple

Member Whipple GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have also have seen where using the Panasonic format program has solved various issues I have experienced in the past.
    Can anyone tell me what the difference is with the OEM factory format that comes on a new microSD chip?
    FAT is a pretty simple standard format, not complicated like NTFS or NFS. Anyone know where the issues come into play?
    Is it a master head table, or volume table of contents, or is the card simply not FAT compliant from the manufacturer?

8. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I believe it's primarly the file allocation unit size.

9. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Most of the time the cluster size is set appropriately for the manufacture (but I suppose its possible to not be...). Windows default allocation unit is not 32k for fat32 or fat16 (thats what is supposed to be for microsd)