AGS-101 screen on AGS-001 motherboard

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by arzi84, May 29, 2017.

1. arzi84
    OP

arzi84 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    Finland
    Can you take a photo from other side?

Never replace capacitor with short circuit, it will damage your motherboard.

Your soldering iron is probably too hot.

2. JeffTheNerd

JeffTheNerd Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2017
    United States
    Never replace the capacitor with short circuit, it will damage your motherboard.

Your soldering iron is probably too hot.[/QUOTE]

1 the c54 section is capacitor were can I find a replacement
    2 does it still work(the screen)? How do I fix it?

Last edited by JeffTheNerd, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Dark_Knight_DA

Dark_Knight_DA Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    Greece
    I finally received my step-up converter and was able to make the mod! I also perrformed the brightness switch mod, which worked perfectly! Note that the underside of the converter is perfectly insulated

The step up converter

Screenshot_1.jpg

The wiring for the brightness mod. The right wire starts from pin 33 and goes to a 470 ohm resistor. The other end of the resistor is soldered to a GROUND

Screenshot_2.jpg

Bazahazano likes this.
  4. Mauri

Mauri Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    Uruguay
    Hola amigos. Este convertido funcionaria para una gba de 40 pines con flex y pantalla de sp de 40 pines ?

5. Liquid_Vegeta

Liquid_Vegeta Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I can't seem to get the solder to stick to the GND point (near the CPU under the number 79) and advice?

Cheers

6. Dark_Knight_DA

Dark_Knight_DA Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    Greece
    make sure your soldering tip is perfectly clean and tinned, then apply heat to the ground area while slowly feeding solder. As a last resort, you can also slightly scratch the ground point to make solder flow easier

Bazahazano and Liquid_Vegeta like this.
  7. Liquid_Vegeta

Liquid_Vegeta Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Awesome, I'll give that a go then. Muddled through the rest of it but got stuck at the grounding part.

Worried I've got a bit too much solder on some other parts, it's very tricky with everything so small.

8. Glaciel

Glaciel Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2017
    Italy
    The game boy on the right is a modded ags 001 ! Nice guide

Attached Files:

Bazahazano and Mucha6630 like this.
  9. Izotov

Izotov Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2014
    Ukraine
    What about 001 display on 101 mainboard/
    How to mod 101 board?

10. flatgba

flatgba Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2015
    Someone has tried a 001 LCD on the 101 mainboard successfully without any modification.

reddit . com/r/Gameboy/comments/3xn00h/ags001_screen_on_an_ags101_board/

11. Mucha6630

Mucha6630 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    Poland
    20171230_094431.jpg 20171230_094443.jpg
    Helo broken screen model AGS-001 You can buy cheap better screen AGS-101 from china ? please help

need ?

1 . For Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP GBA SP AGS 101 Highlit Screen LCD OEM Backlit Brighter
    1234.jpg
    2. DC 3.3V 3.7V 5V 6V to 12V Step up Boost Power Supply Module For Arduino UNO Breadboard Development Voltage Regulator Converter
    4321.jpg
    something else ?

Last edited by Mucha6630, Dec 30, 2017
  12. iLackIQ

iLackIQ Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2018
    United States
    What is the red stuff on your wiring for your brightness mod? Also are you able to provide a better image of the second picture, the brightness mod. I'm interested in doing it but I can't tell what pin you have the wire going to you say 33 but then what pin did you connect the wire to for the step up converter? Thanks

Bazahazano likes this.
  13. Bazahazano

Bazahazano Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm just about to preform upgrading my Sp AGS-001 to backlght. But 'm still a little bit unsure of the brightness button mod I can't quite make out from the pictures on here what exactly is going on. I know that one end of the wire is connected to pin 33 of the screen ribbon connector but I not sure where the other end goes or if you need to add a resister or are just using one already on the pcb.
    Information for this mod seams to be hard to get clearly from anywhere else I can't find tutorials anywhere even on YouTube.

Thanks to all for the great posts in this thread they have been really helpful and much appreciated.

I will post some images when it's done.

14. Bazahazano

Bazahazano Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    As promised if anybody is interested are few pics of my mod to my AGS-001.

IMG_20180123_192719.jpg

IMG_20180123_193027.jpg

IMG_20180123_193152.jpg

IMG_20180123_213109.jpg

iLackIQ likes this.
  15. NielsBrouwers

NielsBrouwers Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi Everyone,

I appearantly had the older model where the trace goes under the connector. I unsoldered the connector to see where it was going and where I should cut the trace (first picture, unsoldered connector). I found out that pin 34 is connected to pin 31. Instead of cutting the trace, I just put some kapton tape over the pad for pin 34 and soldered the connector back on.

I expected it to work, but the light did not turn on. After some searching I found out pin 33 had to be pulled down, I did that by connecting/shorting pin 33 with pin 32 (32 is GND) and that turned on the light.

I am not sure what is pulled down by pin 33, and have not yet checked if power consumption is really high, in which case a resistor might be necessary but so far the unit works fine. Has anyone any info on this?

The last picture has some drops of glue to keep everything in place.

Grtz,
    Niels

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_6163.JPG

16. Bazahazano

Bazahazano Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    You can attach wires directly to the pads on the back of the screen. You have to lift up the first layer that comes from the ribbon. That way you don't need to worry about messing with that connecter.

17. NielsBrouwers

NielsBrouwers Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2018
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, connecting the 12v straight to the backlight pins would have worked. I decided not to because that would have meant routing additional wires next to the flat-cable.

Grtz,
    Niels

18. arzi84
    OP

arzi84 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    Finland
    Pin 33 is GND for backlight, GBA SP controls backlight from GND side and that is why brightness mod is soldered to that pin.

19. Bazahazano

Bazahazano Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have been having trouble with the screen flickering between low and high brightness. Turns out I have a faulty brightness button. So I have attached pin 33 straight to ground so the screen is always full brightness no matter what the switch is doing. I any idea where to source a replacement switch?

20. gog3

gog3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2013
    United States
    Instead of cutting that trace, couldn't you just lift the pin and solder directly to it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice