After several years, DS Wifi emulation is back.

@StapleButter, a French developer well-known for homebrew SNES emulators blargSNES (o3DS, N3DS) and lolSNES (NDS) is developing since a few months a new DS emulator called melonDS. The open-source emulator, which originally started as a forum joke about the lack of proper Wi-Fi emulation in DeSmuME, has made a lot of progress, with the goal of being as accurate as possible. melonDS, now on its 0.3 release, is now capable of emulating most retail games, although it requires a pretty powerful CPU to work at full speed. Here are some screenshots of the 0.3 release:

melonDS3_1.png
melonDS3_2.png
melonDS3_3.png

One of the goals of melonDS was also accurate wifi emulation. Indeed, in the past, StapleButter's work on wifi in DeSmuME has been sabotaged by the lead dev zeromus, for various 'reasons'. Wifi emulation in DeSmuME has been since left out and the DeSmuME main page states that "Wifi is not supported and will never be emulated". A few days ago, in a pretty short tweet, StapleButter showed a screenshot of a communication between two emulated DSes in the well-known DS messaging app PictoChat. After a few years, Wi-Fi emulation is back again!

get.php
For now, despite the feature being still highly experimental, the feature has been reported working with local VS mode play in New Super Mario Bros. and even Pokémon trading.

Links:

Last edited by StarTrekVoyager,

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's always a bit disheartening when a GPL licensed project like DeSmuMe actively tries to shut down other development on it. Someone having to fork, patch and maintain a modified codebase would have been a pain, this sounds like great work. Nice to see GPL license for melonDS too.

StarTrekVoyager

Back?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Apparently DeSmuME recently moved to GitHub and abandoned SourceForge. The project is stagnating though, commits are rare and mostly random fixes. The 0.9.12 version is supposed to bring to Mac the features from the Windows version, but at this rate, it won't be released until 2025. So yeah. I really look forward the moment when melonDS becomes really viable as an emulator for gaming :P

emmauss

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
another interesting stuff on a similar project, wifi emulation( or something similar to that) for citra is in development. it has been so for months. did you guys know that?

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's always a bit disheartening when a GPL licensed project like DeSmuMe actively tries to shut down other development on it. Someone having to fork, patch and maintain a modified codebase would have been a pain, this sounds like great work. Nice to see GPL license for melonDS too.
Seems they're taking the GNU approach to it.

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I only want to see wifi emulation in the drastic emulator for my phone. Than you can always carry a DS without having to bring 2 devices with you.
But as DS emulation never worked for me on PC's, maybe this emulator can pull it off, so it looks very promising.

Oleboy555

Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
Last edited by Oleboy555,
Reactions: zero2exe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.