Advice regarding upgrade please

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by garbanzo, Mar 12, 2012.

Mar 12, 2012
  1. garbanzo
    OP

Newcomer garbanzo Newbie

Hungary
    I have a PSP 1000 that is happily running some ancient 3.something CFW. I use it almost exclusively for emulation - NES, GBA, SMS, NeoGeo, etc. Everything works nicely.

I've been ignoring the PSP scene for years, but I just started reading about what's new, and now I'm considering upgrading to the 6.20 Pro firmware. I would feel better using a firmware that is being actively developed, and that supports the latest and greatest games and features.

But I'm concerned. I read that newer CFWs don't support the 1.5 kernel, which is required by every emulaor I'm currently using. I've been reading forums and such all evening trying to find out if I can still emulate my favorite systems, but most of the discussions I find talk about running emulators through HENs on OFW systems.

So my question is this - if I upgrade to 6.20 and load the permanent CFW, will I still be able to find and run emulators for all my favorite old systems?

NES
    SNES
    GB/GBC
    GBA
    SMS
    Genesis
    CPS1/CPS2
    NeoGeo
    TG-16, TurboCD

Thanks!

2. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I can't answer your question about 6.20 because I never felt the need to go there, (2000 pre) would also apply to any 1000.

I have always run 5.50 Prometheus 4 since It was released and have had no emulator or rom issues.

3. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Well I been using 6.20 CFW on my pre-owned PSP-2000 and so far all the emulation things I tried works fine but if you only use it for emulating then I think its better to stick with the one your currently using if it still works, if you want to play PSP .iso then you probably need to update your FW to 6.20 then CFW it.

4. ars25

Member ars25 I like tacos and pie

United States
    yes they will all work you just needto folow rydian's guild and you are done

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    New emulators work on new CFWs.

6. garbanzo
    OP

Newcomer garbanzo Newbie

Hungary
    Thanks for all the quick replies!

Rydian, can you tell me if there are emulators for all the systems I listed that will run on 6.20 Pro? I'm especially intrested in NeoGeo, I think the PSP is the perfect platform for Metal Slug :)

But I would really like to have the best of both worlds - full support for homebrew emulators along with full support for modern ISOs.

7. Rydian

United States
    I don't know about the last three, check the sticky.

8. garbanzo
    OP

Newcomer garbanzo Newbie

Hungary
    Great, thanks for the info.

One last question. If I upgrade to 6.20 then install the CFW and I'm not happy with the compatibility, will I be able to go back to something like 5.00 M33-6?

9. Rydian

United States
    Yes, the softmod sticky contains instructions on flashing a clean 5.00 firmware which you can then mod with M33.

10. OSpencerO

Member OSpencerO GBAtemp Regular

From Nashville, Tennessee In Knoxville, Tennessee
    Iceland
    I can confirm that all of the systems on your list have emulators that work on 6.20 & 6.60. :)
    I can also confirm that the list GBAtemp Emulation on PSP isn't completely up to date. :(
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP

Spencer

:yaypsp: