Advice Appreciated

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by keasy, Jun 6, 2011.

Jun 6, 2011

Advice Appreciated by keasy at 9:25 PM (1,472 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. keasy
    OP

Member keasy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Lo guys.

I've read many threads and tried getting my head around this...

My kids have DS Lites (origi FW never touched, updated or anything) and I run acekard 2i's on them both (orig cards) under akaio 1.8.7

I'm planning on buying them nice shiny new NDS's as their old lites are starting to look worse for wear and have some dodgy dead areas of screen.

I was thinking of buying them DSI XL's each but considering it's only 50 GBP's more for N3DS's I thought this maybe an option in an attempt at saving me from buying them N3D'S at Christmas when I'm sure they will ask for them.
    So I'm under the impression that I can run normal DS software that I normally run under akaio on the 3DS, but not 3DS games ? Would that be correct ?
    I thought that and then I see seen this thread...
    http://gbatemp.net/t296004-super-monkey-ball-3d
    They guy has posted to a 3DS rom (that I assume will be removed as soon as a moderator sees it). Does this mean the 3Ds has now been hacked and 3DS roms now work on acekard 2i's ?

I'm baffled.

I don't mind not being able to use 3DS roms as it still gives the option to use the other features the 3DS offers and gives the choice to use original 3DS carts.
    I'd appreciate some advice, without overloading me with too much jargon.

Would I be best to buy the N3DS's or play safe and go for the DSI XL's ?

Much appreciate any help offered.

Keas.

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Wow, you hit the nail on the head.

Yes, the Acekard 2i can run DS games on the 3DS, but not 3DS games. Also, the 3DS is about to go through a HUGE update tonight/tomorrow, so we'll have to see if the Acekard will still work.

Your best bet? Just wait until Christmas. By then, we'll have more solid ground with the 3DS.

DSi XLs are also a bit big for children.

3. ACWWFAN

Member ACWWFAN HERP DERP

United States
    Yeah, do not buy a DSi XL, it'd be pretty pointless if you plan on getting them 3DSs eventually.

4. keasy
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks dude.

I'd like to wait until Christmas but I'm planning on slipping them inside their suitcases in four weeks time when we jet off on holiday to Spain.
    Was hoping to make it a kind of magic moment when they arrive at the hotel complex and get this nice surprise.

It is sensible advice though, thank you.

The XL could be a bit big for their hands come to think of it, I may opt for the DSi.
    Then again I am chokig to have a mess around with a 3DS for myself too LOL.

Thanks for answering [​IMG]

5. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    From what I see, you seem to have a pretty old acekard 2i - which means, they aren't pre-updated to work with 3DS yet. If you're planning to run your kids' acekard 2i's, you have to update them manually.

1. download update from here
    2. extract contents; you should have the updater (an .nds file)
    3. put it into m SD card and execute it, just like loading any other .nds file
    4. wait for update to end

This updater can also be used to reflash the acekard's firmware, meaning you can un-brick your bricked ak 2i by running the updater on another, working flashcart and exchanging to your bricked ak 2i (without turning off).

If, by any chance, today's update blocks flashcarts (yet again) you will have to wait until a new updater is released.
    btw, don't sell your kids' current ds lite's because you'll need it when updating.

6. keasy
    OP

United Kingdom
    K, after the update seems to have not affected most ak2i on N3dS I'm almost convinced to go for x2 3DS.

But I'm not sure how to find out what HW ID I'm running ie: HW44 etc.
    How would I go about finding that out ?
    Thanks again.

7. keasy
    OP

United Kingdom
    P.S.

I've uploaded some pics in case it helps.

Back:

[​IMG]

^ Green PCB ?

Front :

[​IMG]

Thanks again for any help.

8. shawnanastasio

Newcomer shawnanastasio Advanced Member

United States
    Start your acekard, hit the start menu (bottom left), hit the arrow to go to next page, hit help, and at the bottom it will say your HW ID.

9. keasy
    OP

United Kingdom

[​IMG]

Thank you [​IMG]

Seems I have HW81 cards.

Green light for me I think.

Thanks for the help and advice guys.