Adrenaline bubble manager reduces input lag over using Adrenaline.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any adrenaline shader is supposed to add 1 frame of lag, so if all your bubbles are defaulting to "original" scaling, yes they will be a bit snappier.

Reactions: ciarli-b

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
It is not just a shortcut to launching games trought adrenaline without launching adrenaline itselft?

Thats what I thought till actually using it. Don't quite get the logic as to why it would be this way but it is.

Any adrenaline shader is supposed to add 1 frame of lag, so if all your bubbles are defaulting to "original" scaling, yes they will be a bit snappier.

Same settings in both options and have tested switching them. Bubbles are definitely more responsive. Try it yourself.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats what I thought till actually using it. Don't quite get the logic as to why it would be this way but it is.

Same settings in both options and have tested switching them. Bubbles are definitely more responsive. Try it yourself.
Too busy using bubbles. :P Not sure I can even navigate to my games in Adrenaline menu anymore...

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
The only thing I can think its due to is whatever patched version of Adrenaline loader the bubble manager installs is from a different build or has some other kind of quirk that makes it have less lag. Otherwise it really makes no sense but then Adrenaline does add a whole load of extra stuff in over something like Chovy Sign (which is supposed to be best accuracy option but zero frills) so maybe bypassing loading that into the limited memory is responsible?

Either way there is a noticeable improvement so try it and see.

Still wondering exactly what it is that Sony did with PSP on Vita though because some titles have a clear performance boost over a 333 Mhz PSP. Considering its a hybrid of hardware and software emulation that is locking out the Vita processing there has to be something extra at play because you can run the same title on both machines with a frame counter and see a clear difference in terms of frame drops/consistency.

Conversely there are other titles which are virtually unplayable due to input lag compared to real hardware:

Interesting quote here about the actual size of the emulator:

You're both wrong as there is MIPS hardware in the Vita. Of course nobody has delayered the main SoC to prove it (there are reports behind expensive paywalls though). However, the main RAM in the psp hardware is shared with the Vita, and kermit is used to implement many of the devices (memory card for example). DMA is used for the screen buffer and a shared sram is used for other things like control input and such. A simple heuristic for reasoning that it's not emulated (but not the only reason): consider every file in the vita os0: vs0: dump that relates to the PSP. Of course we can't decrypt them, but looking at the sizes, if you remove the flash0 files (which of course takes up a lot of space), the "emulator" is ~100kb total; that's impossible without some hardware. You can compare this with the size of PSP emulator on the PS3.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

Yohanov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@ital

Haha I am the one who shared that french video back then in my thread where yifan lu responded, funny to see those again 6 years later. The last message from the deleted user is also quite interesting.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-accurate-is-psp-emulation-on-vita.412851/

This is indeed quite a technical and mysterious topic, not sure if it's better documented nowadays. If those rythm games already had issues without adrenaline it's no surprise that this extra layer makes them unplayable. Now I wonder if there is some small input lag even without any plugins?

It's a shame that adrenaline adds extra lag, apparently chovy-sign is even better than the bubble manager at shaving it?
But if you use either of those, does it prevent you from using ge_patch or 60fps patch on psp games?

Also here is another reddit thread about this topic.

Last edited by Yohanov,

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can reduce the lag by using vita launcher. I don't know the ins and outs of it but booting a ps1 or psp game from there directly results in considerably less input lag compared to going through adrenaline to launch.

I play the psp version of everybody's golf and through adrenaline, with a shader on, getting the timing right on a shot is really difficult.

Launching the same game through vita launcher, even with a shader, is miles better. It's not "perfect" but if you werent looking for the lag, you'd struggle to tell.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
You can reduce the lag by using vita launcher. I don't know the ins and outs of it but booting a ps1 or psp game from there directly results in considerably less input lag compared to going through adrenaline to launch.

I play the psp version of everybody's golf and through adrenaline, with a shader on, getting the timing right on a shot is really difficult.

Launching the same game through vita launcher, even with a shader, is miles better. It's not "perfect" but if you werent looking for the lag, you'd struggle to tell.

Thats interesting, have you tried the same title via Bubble Manager to see how it compares to Vita Launcher?

I think a lot of the bloat in Adrenaline is due to loading the VSH and creating the full PSP environment which isn't necessary whilst the other options bypass that and generate a more responsive game experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1