Administrator?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by GeekyGuy, Jul 10, 2009.

Jul 10, 2009

Administrator? by GeekyGuy at 3:29 PM (713 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Hey guys,

I've been trying to resolve this issue for a while, and after countless Google searches, I still haven't found clear instruction on how to do what I need to do. I am trying to go into msconfig to turn of a couple off programs that load at start-up (again, Windows XP). Of course, it tells me I need to be logged in as the administrator, and when I've tried to do that, it still won't allow me to make changes in msconfig.

Can someone walk me through the correct way of doing this?

Thanks

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

when you unchecked the programs you want to stop from starting up did you exit MSCONFIG and restart when prompted to confirm their removal?

some programs that appear under the start menu in MSCONFIG sometimes have to be disabled in the actual program to remove it from the startup ...eg some Virtual mounted cd/dvd drive programs other programs also have a service process needs stopping from the start menu type SERVICES.MSC and hit enter find the process service and stop/disable it [​IMG]

there's a few freeware tools that can remove startup items too such as startup manager and a few others [​IMG]

startup manager screenshot

[​IMG]

edit dont know what happened there !? forums lagged to hell at time of this posting or cannot connect to servers!? [​IMG]

3. kobykaan

United Kingdom
    dupe post please remove!

forums screwy again [​IMG]

4. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Yeah, site's been pretty sketchy since DQIX dumped yesterday...

Um...whenever I try to uncheck something under Start-up in msconfig, it does prompt me to restart, in which case it restarts in a different mode. When I try to confirm my changes in that mode, it doesn't allow me to save changes and restart in normal mode. As soon as I restart in normal mode, the changes I made are undone. [​IMG]

5. kobykaan

United Kingdom
    have you got something like winrollback or goback or other system change monitoring tool that resets everything to default config on reboot?! (similar to system restore but reverts a whole drive or partition and all files etc)

scan with malware antibytes and other trojan scanning tools and see if you picked up anything recently!

6. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    OMG I had this crappy problem earlier. I still have shizzy crummy BIOS screen whenever I boot up.

Anyone know if the settings are wrong?

Here is what I see. I went to MSCONFIG, to the Boot.INI section.

I see the following:

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect (this option was highlighted)
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

For Boot options I see these boxes none are checked off:
    /SAFEBOOT
    /NOGUIBOOT
    /BOOTLOG
    /BASEVIDEO
    /SOS

Are any of these settings wrong? I wanna get rid of BIOS screeny thing

7. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Those settings seem normal.

You could try changing the 3 to 0. That should get rid of the 3 second wait each time you reboot.

8. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Hmm...actually, I ran three scans this week: Super Antispyware, MalwareBytes, and the regular McAfee, and got rid everything those programs found. I did, however, just check out the Startup Manager you mentioned, and it seems to work fine, so thanks for that.

9. tal32123

Member tal32123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    download auslogics boostspeed and use their startup manager to choose what goes on and what doesn't. it also makes your computer faster if you want, which is always a plus.