Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I've been trying to resolve this issue for a while, and after countless Google searches, I still haven't found clear instruction on how to do what I need to do. I am trying to go into msconfig to turn of a couple off programs that load at start-up (again, Windows XP). Of course, it tells me I need to be logged in as the administrator, and when I've tried to do that, it still won't allow me to make changes in msconfig.

Can someone walk me through the correct way of doing this?

Thanks

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
Hey guys,

I've been trying to resolve this issue for a while, and after countless Google searches, I still haven't found clear instruction on how to do what I need to do. I am trying to go into msconfig to turn of a couple off programs that load at start-up (again, Windows XP). Of course, it tells me I need to be logged in as the administrator, and when I've tried to do that, it still won't allow me to make changes in msconfig.

Can someone walk me through the correct way of doing this?

Thanks

when you unchecked the programs you want to stop from starting up did you exit MSCONFIG and restart when prompted to confirm their removal?

some programs that appear under the start menu in MSCONFIG sometimes have to be disabled in the actual program to remove it from the startup ...eg some Virtual mounted cd/dvd drive programs other programs also have a service process needs stopping from the start menu type SERVICES.MSC and hit enter find the process service and stop/disable it
smile.gif

there's a few freeware tools that can remove startup items too such as startup manager and a few others
smile.gif

startup manager screenshot

4vso4o.jpg

edit dont know what happened there !? forums lagged to hell at time of this posting or cannot connect to servers!?
frown.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, site's been pretty sketchy since DQIX dumped yesterday...

Um...whenever I try to uncheck something under Start-up in msconfig, it does prompt me to restart, in which case it restarts in a different mode. When I try to confirm my changes in that mode, it doesn't allow me to save changes and restart in normal mode. As soon as I restart in normal mode, the changes I made are undone.
unsure.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
have you got something like winrollback or goback or other system change monitoring tool that resets everything to default config on reboot?! (similar to system restore but reverts a whole drive or partition and all files etc)

scan with malware antibytes and other trojan scanning tools and see if you picked up anything recently!

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG I had this crappy problem earlier. I still have shizzy crummy BIOS screen whenever I boot up.

Anyone know if the settings are wrong?

Here is what I see. I went to MSCONFIG, to the Boot.INI section.

I see the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect (this option was highlighted)
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

For Boot options I see these boxes none are checked off:
/SAFEBOOT
/NOGUIBOOT
/BOOTLOG
/BASEVIDEO
/SOS

Are any of these settings wrong? I wanna get rid of BIOS screeny thing

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
have you got something like winrollback or goback or other system change monitoring tool that resets everything to default config on reboot?! (similar to system restore but reverts a whole drive or partition and all files etc)

scan with malware antibytes and other trojan scanning tools and see if you picked up anything recently!

Hmm...actually, I ran three scans this week: Super Antispyware, MalwareBytes, and the regular McAfee, and got rid everything those programs found. I did, however, just check out the Startup Manager you mentioned, and it seems to work fine, so thanks for that.

T

tal32123

download auslogics boostspeed and use their startup manager to choose what goes on and what doesn't. it also makes your computer faster if you want, which is always a plus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout