Status
Not open for further replies.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
We have received a few new elements of information from resellers and hackers who have participated in the CycloDS iEvolution project. The recent announcement of a DSi mode flashcart created a certain hype, it's the least you could say, but we would like to clarify certain points and provide additional information.

First, for those who have already preordered the card, we have received word from a couple of resellers that the card will not ship until the second week of January. It was initially going to be shipped out mid-December but there were delays in production apparently so you will all have to be patient.

There are three new features that this card was supposedly going to offer. DSi mode homebrew was the one most openly advertised by the Cyclops Team and they will deliver when it comes to that, except for one little disappointment- the SD card slot cannot be accessed by homebrew. Unfortunately running homebrew on the DSi will only offer a few extra advantages such as the use of the camera(s) and increased power and RAM, no storing or reading from the SD card (we could have imagined interesting ways to make use of it though: a video player that reads video files from the SD card...).

The second of those 3 features was announced officially as "coming later": DSi-enhanced rom support. It's those games that already work on the DS but when played on a DSi those should offer additional features and enhancements. But as it turns out: nobody has got anywhere near being able to run those games in DSi mode on the CycloDS iEvolution. Let's hope some people figure it out in the future!

And finally, the last of the 3 features we were expecting: DSiware ROM support. Well don't hold your breath because that will probably never come. Not only DSiware roms have yet to be decrypted (which is a necessary step towards possibly executing those ROMs in the first place), but those games also need to be written and run from the NAND onboard memory of the DSi, which hasn't been unlocked. Our source suggests that there might be a possibility to run DSiware from the SD slot in the future... but it would only be games that you legally downloaded from DSiware.

Note that the Cyclops Team recently issued an update on their website stating that "only USA and European" DSi consoles will be supported, until "our development team has completed the necessary stress testing". Too bad for all our Japanese readers out there, you'll have to wait some more.

Even with those news it is still encouraging to see that people are working towards unlocking the DSi. We are confident that other teams will jump on the bandwagon and offer the same DSi mode features. To show our support to the homebrew scene, we are going to unveil a new revamped and surprising version of the Homebrew Bounty. It will be announced in the next few hours or tomorrow.

The review of the CycloDS iEvolution will be published as soon as possible, though they haven't shipped out a sample yet. Stay tuned!

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohmy.gif
i was hoping this would be better...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The second of those 3 features was announced officially as "coming later": DSi-enhanced rom support. It's those games that already work on the DS but when played on a DSi those should offer additional features and enhancements. But as it turns out: nobody has got anywhere near being able to run those games in DSi mode on the CycloDS iEvolution. Our inside source tells us that the team is just hoping for hackers to find a way to make it work once the card is released, but they haven't been able to go anywhere near it.
That part pisses me off. Why would you advertise that and not be able to show it? Just come out and say "we dont have DSi enhancement yet, but we are working on it."
Are they really losing that much ground to the DSTwo?

Also it better not be so damn expensive. Ive ALWAYS wanted a cycloDS but its always just been way too much for a flash cart when you can get an Acekard for 11 bucks.
They better know they cant compete with a $52 pricetag. I mean i always knew they were good but not $50 worth good. Especially the way the DSTwo is kicking ass and taking names.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People have already been saying that the SD card can't be accessed after slot 1 has been booted, so that seems to confirm that part of it at least.

DSi-enhanced games: They should have been clearer on that regard, I think; at least mentioning that as yet there's no headway but they remain hopeful.

As for DSiWare, that's not a surprise to me, as they seem to operate on a level totally separate to physical media; launching from the internal memory, so more progress on the DSi would have to be made to get close to launching them from another location.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whats the big deal? Coming later means coming later, and I have no doubt that Cyclo or some other team or some dev will get the other things working eventually.

Calm down guys. The card is still doing the main thing it promised: DSi homebrew. I'm sure SD access will come eventually. I'm sure the card will be really good from day one.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
First, for those who have already preordered the card, we have received word from a couple of resellers that the card will not ship until the second week of January. It was initially going to be shipped out mid-December but there were delays in production apparently so you will all have to be patient.

There are three new features that this card was supposedly going to offer. DSi mode homebrew was the one most openly advertised by the Cyclops Team and they will deliver when it comes to that, except for one little disappointment- the SD card slot cannot be accessed by homebrew.

Our inside source tells us that the team is just hoping for hackers to find a way to make it work once the card is released, but they haven't been able to go anywhere near it.

And finally, the last of the 3 features we were expecting: DSiware ROM support. Well don't hold your breath because that will probably never come. Not only DSiware roms have yet to be decrypted (which is a necessary step towards possibly executing those ROMs in the first place), but those games also need to be written and run from the NAND onboard memory of the DSi, which hasn't been unlocked. Our source suggests that there might be a possibility to run DSiware from the SD slot in the future... but it would only be games that you legally downloaded from DSiware.

Note that the Cyclops Team recently issued an update on their website stating that "only USA and European" DSi consoles will be supported, until "our development team has completed the necessary stress testing". Too bad for all our Japanese readers out there, you'll have to wait some more.

Check the hi lighted things, here. this sums up the Fail-ocity of the cart alone. I mean really -- It can't do ANY of the things we all expected it to. And if it is true, they are relying on the people to make DSi Mode to work, then what the fuck is the point to this card? And you TC supporters thought the SC Team was shitty for making us wait for the SNES and GBA Emu and video player. This is a joke -- promising a product that will not even, at all, do what was promised.

Cyclo DS and TC can go to hell. I am no longer interested in anything from them.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Boo! BOO!, lol. I was most looking forward to free DSiWare, as my mom won't let me get Nintendo Points cards, so I can't even buy them legitly. I really want to play AiRace.
frown.gif

Knew it was too good to be true.
I think I can see the SuperCard team saying, dude, why did we even try to reverse engineer this thing in the first place!

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
science said:
Whats the big deal? Coming later means coming later, and I have no doubt that Cyclo or some other team or some dev will get the other things working eventually.

Calm down guys. The card is still doing the main thing it promised: DSi homebrew. I'm sure SD access will come eventually. I'm sure the card will be really good from day one.
I small the DSiware Homebrew becoming abandonware as soon as the 3DS hits the streets.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bah. Some people will do anything for a quick buck and then leave it just as quickly. look at this sudden u-turn. anyone actually expect the whole thing to be legit? LOL

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh, and, I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, but, for those of you who say that it'll be more powerful with the DSi CPU, just something to ponder:
  • The DSi has two ARM architecture processors, an ARM7 and an ARM9, the ARM9 being clocked at 133 MHz and the ARM7 being a co-processor
  • The iPlayer, which you could say is the predecessor to the DS2, has a 200MHz ARM9 and a 400MHz DSP, and the DS2 is more powerful than the iPlayer
  • As it is unknown whether or not the iEvo has a CPU, it's assumed it doesn't, which makes the DS2 more powerful than the DSi, the DS Lite, the DS Phat and the iEvo combined
[/endrant]

Taichi24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this is some crappy news for those TC lovers. Acekard2i and DSTWO still remain the best flashcarts to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: How Roms Try Helping? +1