Adding a usb port to an S controller

TerryG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to add a usb port to my controller using the tutorial here and I can not get my xbox to recognize any of my thumb drives or sd cards in a usb reader.

With the pins of the port down and looking into the open end I have wired them using the colors red, yellow, green and blue which should, unless I'm mistaken, put red at 5v, yellow at - data, green at + data, and blue at ground. I then connected them to the memory card pins, with the socket where the card would plug in facing away from me, in the order of blue, green, yellow, and red, skipping the second pin from the left side.

Did I mess up on the wiring, or do I just have horrible luck with flash drives?

Thanks
Terry

TerryG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried with around 6 different drives/cards ranging in size from 512 mb up to 4 gb with no luck. One of the flashdrives does flash a few times when I plug it in, so I think my wiring is correct. I guess I just have bad luck in this instance.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Recheck and resolder the wires to be absolutely sure.
Format the USB drives to FAT32 (might help with detecting, they need to be formatted by the Xbox itself so it won't matter much but it can help)
And keep on trying different USB drives ;]

TerryG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a different socket and checked all my connections with a multimeter. Everything came out great, but I still have the same issue. On a whim I plugged in an external usb hdd that has two plugs on it's cable, one for power and one for data, into the socket with the power plug into my stereo and it had no issues seeing that. I poked around with my meter and found that I'm getting 4.9 volts on the 5 volt line, but I really don't think that .1 volt would be enough to cause an issue.

I'm going to send my girlfriend to the store to grab an assortment of thumb drives I guess, and suggestions on what to look for?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I honestly have no clue.
You could always ask some friends of yours to lend you a couple of USB drives.
I'd still go for max 2GB.
Lower capacities usually work better.

mshaun

Trophies
Website
www.codebin.org
XP
Country
United States
i don't mean to bump a week old thread, but i've found that this site will help you out greatly when it comes to flash drives on the original xbox. i had run into the same problem as you (i had swapped out controller port #4 for a female usb plug and when i went to test it with a flash drive, the screen would keep flashing over and over like it was trying to read the drive and make the sound effect of cycling through menus) and the console just would not seem to read any of my usb drives. (one with the flickering issue, another saying the drive was damaged so at that point i knew that the usb plug had been wired correctly because it was at least attempting to read anything plugged into it).

finally after searching around, i had found that list. of all the listed drives that would work, the only thing that i had available that was on the compatible list was my sony psp. i dug up an old 2gb sd card and formatted it, inserted it into my psp and plugged a usb cable up to it and to the xbox, threw the psp into 'usb mode' and shazam! xbox found the sd card and formatted it into an exfat drive. lo and behold, controller port #4 was now reading as a memory card. so now, anytime i want to transfer anything from my pc to my xbox using traditional methods (of course, the whole reason of adding the usb drive was to upload the 007:AUF gamesave exploit so now i have ftp functionality), i've got one of the wackiest setups but at least it works.

hope that link helps!

Reactions: TerryG

TerryG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, you guys rock. I plugged the bastard in and it recognized it right off the bat, didn't ask to format or anything. I nearly fell over.

Thanks a ton!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U