Activision may close PlayStation Network Black Ops servers

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In response to ongoing connection issues and vocal customer criticism, a spokesperson for Activision has told an angry PlayStation 3 owner that the publisher may shut down Call of Duty: Black Ops’ PlayStation Network servers.

Senior support representative Dov Carson replied to blogger Jason Koblovsky’s complaints by advising that Activision are prepared to close the PSN servers.

“The publishers have the right to shut down the servers for their game at any time as well which based on the number of reported posts from users may be a viable solution over the free PSN,” he wrote.

Carson suggested to Koblovsky that the latter return his Black Ops disc to Activision, offering a “one time courtesy” exchange for another title, another platform’s version of Black Ops, or an unopened disc to return to a retailer.

Sister studio Infinity Ward also seems to be giving up on Sony’s network, laying the blame for Modern Warfare 2’s security issues at the platform holder’s door.

Source:http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/19/activision-may-close-playstation-network-black-ops-servers/

rook2King

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
... What the hell? ..................................
sad.gif

Zerox8610

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know the funniest part tho???

PC gaming has had piracy FOREVER. So devs made security in the games themselves or with other checks, and on the other end the PC is left wide open.
So what makes the game developers think that it is sony's responsibility to protect their games when they are forced to protect it themselves on other platforms??

Activision is just a lazy company. Seriously...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds highly improbable. They'd be blowing way too much money and there's a new map pack coming relatively soon. I've heard of the same issues from people but I've still seen my PS3 owning friends play it online. I doubt these errors make the game completely unplayable online.

If they did I'm sure an entire community of CoD fans would be fist-deep in Activision's ass.

Zerox8610 said:

PC gaming has had piracy FOREVER. So devs made security in the games themselves or with other checks, and on the other end the PC is left wide open.
So what makes the game developers think that it is sony's responsibility to protect their games when they are forced to protect it themselves on other platforms??

Closing the servers isn't due to the recent hacking breakthroughs on the PS3, it's because Black Ops on the PS3, since launch, has had a ton of issues online (like connectivity and what not). It says so in the article. The Infinity Ward part just basically says IW are pissy because MW2 had hackers on the PS3. Big fucking deal.

EDIT: Also, Activision would probably release the map pack and then drop the PSN. So even if you return your game you'll still have paid $15 for a map pack which you can't redeem. BRILLIANT.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Sounds highly improbable. They'd be blowing way too much money and there's a new map pack coming relatively soon. I've heard of the same issues from people but I've still seen my PS3 owning friends play it online. I doubt these errors make the game completely unplayable online.

If they did I'm sure an entire community of CoD fans would be fist-deep in Activision's ass.

Zerox8610 said:

Closing the servers isn't due to the recent hacking breakthroughs on the PS3, it's because Black Ops on the PS3, since launch, has had a ton of issues online (like connectivity and what not). It says so in the article. The Infinity Ward part just basically says IW are pissy because MW2 had hackers on the PS3. Big fucking deal.

I agree. They would lose LOTS of fans and money.

Do they have a fourm? I imagine I wouldn't be able to even access it if this happens. Overload from too many pissed off fans.

Joktan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's true it really sucks for all ps3 owners...guess that's what they get fr not paying for the service like xbox owners do.pay for a device like live and it's going to be good.free Psn means that sometimes it ain't goin to be good...sorry xbox fanboy:)

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Joktan said:
If that's true it really sucks for all ps3 owners...guess that's what they get fr not paying for the service like xbox owners do.pay for a device like live and it's going to be good.free Psn means that sometimes it ain't goin to be good...sorry xbox fanboy:)

Isn't it the exact same matchmaking system? I'm pretty sure it's just a case of whoever has the fastest internet is made host. Even if Activision were to use Dedicated servers for a console game, I doubt Microsoft is passing them any of that Xbox Live cash.

Either way, this is just Activision trying to cover their ass for not fixing their shit in the first place.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
I have this game on my ps3 and it works just fine except for the occasional migrating host/connection drop. My internet speed averages over 10m. I guess it's part user connection issue and Activision. If they shut down their servers, they might as well give us a refund and stop making CoD for ps3 unless it has like a 40hr campaign....To me they're like a bunch of cry babies trying to get away from work..

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Multiplayer code on consoles has, for the most part, assumed that the clients are always secure, and therefore they can be absolutely trusted with everything.

There needs to be a shift to a dedicated server model like on the PC, where we assume that no clients are secure.

No platform is perfect. To think that the PS3 won't have been hacked at one point is naive. I'm wondering why nobody considered closing down servers after the JTAG hack for the 360, though.

EDIT: Oops, they're considering shutting down not due to security issues, but due to Black Ops' bad netcode. Well then they fucked up big time. The above sentences still apply to MW2.
unsure.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh gawd .
my friend just sent me this .
Activision sure is getting lazy on their part . to be honest, the fact that a whole game is based on whoever is host makes the game a pain . their matchmaking brings you to games where the host to yourself will have the lowest ping possible to reduce the amount of lag, however, some hosts aren't the greatest or even avg. to the least .

although both systems run on the same match making system, i believe that it just depends on who is host to decide whether or not you will be playing in a good game with a good host or a bad game with a bad host .

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, way to bend the customer over and fuck their ass without using lube.

"Well, we COULD fix it, but we don't wanna."
=
"Well, we COULD use lube, but we don't wanna."

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had all of the issues on the 360 version that I've had on the PS3 version.

Activision remains my least favorite company revolving around game creation to date. At least if EA had made the CoD games they would work without them having to shut them down due to a complete inability to make a game.

Good thing I didn't buy Black Ops.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
The match making system doesn't bother me because I'm nearly always the host, or I have great connection to the host, what does bother me is all the fucking connection dropouts, giving random errors, I was in the middle of a match and then it d/ced for me, guess what the error was: "You have been signed out of PSN." So I checked to see if I had signed out and what do you know, according to Sony, I was still signed in, but according to Treyarch or Activision or w/e I was signed out...

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The match making system doesn't bother me either because I'm actually pretty good, what does bother me is when I'm lined up for a perfect headshot game winning kill, oops! Game lobby closed!

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Evo.lve said:
The match making system doesn't bother me either because I'm actually pretty good, what does bother me is when I'm lined up for a perfect headshot game winning kill, oops! Game lobby closed!
LOL same problem, game lobby closed is such a pain, as well as Host Migration Failed!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs