Hacking Action Replay MAX DUO

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is why I have a huge grudge against Datel.

So about a year ago, I purchased my Action Replay MAX DUO. For the most part, it worked fine (I did have to do some sodering before it would work with some games, though). However, recently, when I tried backing up a save from Pokemon Pearl (to use it with Pokesav), the device didn't recognize the save type.

Naturally I was surprised, so I gave Datel an e-mail about it. They gave me an unreleased version of the 1.07 firmware. Flashing the new firmware did not work either, so I told them so. Then the person said "well we don't manufacture this product anymore, so we can't support it." Then guess what they do? They say that they're going to release a new product that does this successfully, and recommend that I buy it.

Wow, they trick me into buying this thinking it would work with Pokemon, and now they tell me that it won't, then they say I have to buy this new thing to do what the old one promised...

So am I a hopeless cause? Is there any known way to get around this error?

(If anyone wants this new 1.07 firmware [which does not work with Pokemon], I've uploaded it here)

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
This is why you *never* trust Datel. I'm surprised they actually got back to you, I've been waiting for a month in regards to an issue with the Action Replay for Gamecube.

Datel is a shit company; feel free to boycott them
smile.gif

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. I think that's what they called planned obsolescence. I'm going to make a couple new e-mails in a last ditch attempt to try to get a refund out of them (I'll have some fake reciept printing to do, and pretending I purchased it recently...) but I doubt I'll get anything (it IS Datel). The ironic thing is, in the manual they specifically mentioned Pokemon as a game that might need backing up.

I think I'll just buy a better alternative. I still feel cheated out of $35.

Infinitus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was disappointed that my Action Replay MAX did not recognize the game save type, either.

Oh, well. Not like I need it or anything. :x

Edit:
QUOTE said:
You better buy a supercard SD/miniSD and put rain on it to backup the save
biggrin.gif

Prolly cheaper and easier.

If I recall correctly, Mewgia has an ewin2 and it worked for him.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when the action replay was great, back when it was a red box for the C64, happy days.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you guys recommend anything? I would like to run DS homebrew as well as back up and restore my Pokemon saves, is there any cheap device that allows me to do both (BESIDES anything from DATEL) ?

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you recommend a good online retailer (North American for best shipping prices, preferably) as well?

I found this retailer, are they good?
http://sky2k.com/shop/r4ds-microsd-english-p-256.html

This will work with my version 1 launch day phat NDS ?

Also, it looks like the R4 only has a MicroSD port, how would it back up and restore my Pearl save?

Are you sure that the R4 supports Pokemon game saves (I don't care about upgrading my firmware, just as long as it works.)?

Thanks!

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1459

The R4DS + 1GB Kingston Japanese MicroSD - $46 (Free Shipping) Though delivery takes a while.

Will work fine with your DS Phat (mine is also 1 day after the launch)

For backing up your saves I think you would need some kind of Slot-2 solution, I'm not entirely sure.

I'm playing pokemon on mine now, so I would assume it supports the save types.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, my Pokemon Pearl is a retail edition, and I need to back up a save from there.

So what kind of slot 2 solutions? I don't really want to spend over $60 USD on everything.

Thanks.

EDIT: Okay so I found something called Savsender which will let me dump/restore an official game cartridge with R4 over Wifi and will work with an official game cartridge. I also have the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector required to use it.

So:

1. Have there been any issues with data corruption when saves have been sent over Wifi (I DON'T want to corrupt my Pearl)
2. Is Savsender confirmed to work with Diamond/Pearl?

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I've used savsender to backup my retail carts' save files and it works fine on R4.

It should work with Pokemon.

Master_Z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE HAS THIS PROBLEM! IT SUCKS! I tried backing up Diamond and it appears to not even detect the game, even after I soldered the pins. Datel isnt getting any more money from me EVER again.

HelenBaby

Trophies
Website
helenbaby.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any way of putting Action Replay style software unto the Ewin2? And, if so, could it be used in conjunction with games on there?

Also, what software do you need to run Action Replay on a Supercard?

spyder2k5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I have a huge grudge against Datel.

So about a year ago, I purchased my Action Replay MAX DUO. For the most part, it worked fine (I did have to do some sodering before it would work with some games, though). However, recently, when I tried backing up a save from Pokemon Pearl (to use it with Pokesav), the device didn't recognize the save type.

Naturally I was surprised, so I gave Datel an e-mail about it. They gave me an unreleased version of the 1.07 firmware. Flashing the new firmware did not work either, so I told them so. Then the person said "well we don't manufacture this product anymore, so we can't support it." Then guess what they do? They say that they're going to release a new product that does this successfully, and recommend that I buy it.

Wow, they trick me into buying this thinking it would work with Pokemon, and now they tell me that it won't, then they say I have to buy this new thing to do what the old one promised...

So am I a hopeless cause? Is there any known way to get around this error?

(If anyone wants this new 1.07 firmware [which does not work with Pokemon], I've uploaded it here)

Ok let me get this messed up story right.... You bought one a year ago.... Yet they tricked you into buying it because it was supposed to work with Pokemon Perl...? Perl just came out this year so how did they trick you into buying something a year ago for an unreleased game?

cutter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GC Action Replay kicks ass, for the mostpart. The main problem is that it doesn't come with anything to store the disc in, and in fact the disc is banging around inside the box it comes in. And unfortunately it doesn't work with the Wavebird's D-pad for an unexplained reason. But it works.

Looks like the handheld ones suck, then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!