Hacking Acekard2 labeled as EDGE WTH?

joesy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, I just received my new EDGE card in the mail today from an online store in Canada. The box is triangular like the EDGE, the label on the front says EDGE, when I put my microSD with the 1.43 EDGE software on it in the cart and put it into my DS and power it up, the menu item on the DS menu says "Acekard2". WTH? Has anyone seen this before? What could possibly be happening?

After having a look at the reviews here on gbatemp of both the EDGE and Acekard2 and closely looking at the pictures, I can see my card is clearly an Acekard2 with an EDGE label... I'm puzzled. Has this happened to anyone else?

joesy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, so now I don't know what I have for sure... I loaded the newest Acekard2 firmware that I downloaded here from gbatemp. The card now loads in my DS, but at the top it says Acekard R. P. G.??? I looked at the pictures of that card in the review here and my card doesn't look like that one at all... as I said before, it is exactly like the Acekard2. Can anyone help figure out what I have for sure. I left my name and number with the place I got it because this is clearly not what I had ordered, but they haven't called me back yet.

perkele

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
joesy said:
The card now loads in my DS, but at the top it says Acekard R. P. G.???
You're using the Acekard2 software with the RPG skin, looks like you got a relabeled AK2.
Is there a url on the triangular box?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Online stores often receive cards and labels separately, they then have to actually stick the labels onto the carts themselves.
It's very much possible that your cart was mislabeled...
You aren't missing out much though, the Acekard 2 is an excellent card.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Gotta agree with Costy on this one. Using AKAIO 1.3 makes it a much better cart than the EDGE. I've swapped out my EDGE as my main cart for the AK2 now.

Briankealing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joesy said:
OK, so now I don't know what I have for sure... I loaded the newest Acekard2 firmware that I downloaded here from gbatemp. The card now loads in my DS, but at the top it says Acekard R. P. G.??? I looked at the pictures of that card in the review here and my card doesn't look like that one at all... as I said before, it is exactly like the Acekard2. Can anyone help figure out what I have for sure. I left my name and number with the place I got it because this is clearly not what I had ordered, but they haven't called me back yet.

That's just a skin. Don't worry about it.

joesy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, the R. P. G. at the top is just part of the skin, oops.

I have taken pictures of it to show you guys, if I can just figure out how to post them I'd be in business.

It definitely is the AK2 with the wrong label. I spoke to someone at the place I got it from and they are going to take care of me
smile.gif
Which actually means sending me a properly labeled AK2 (since I do like it a lot) when I send the miss-labeled edge back and to top it off the AK2 is cheaper. Their customer service is fantastic!

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
joesy said:
Yes, the R. P. G. at the top is just part of the skin, oops.

I have taken pictures of it to show you guys, if I can just figure out how to post them I'd be in business.

It definitely is the AK2 with the wrong label. I spoke to someone at the place I got it from and they are going to take care of me
smile.gif
Which actually means sending me a properly labeled AK2 (since I do like it a lot) when I send the miss-labeled edge back and to top it off the AK2 is cheaper. Their customer service is fantastic!
Upload them to tinypic.com, and then give direct links to the url or wrap the urls with img tags

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
bog500 said:
PCB is green, that meens this card is a little old and could be an Acekard 2 (not 2.1). If you are going to get an AK2 (2.1), try to get the blue PCB or at least the black one.

Nup, looks like black pcb to me.

joesy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShAdOwFuRi said:
bog500 said:
PCB is green, that meens this card is a little old and could be an Acekard 2 (not 2.1). If you are going to get an AK2 (2.1), try to get the blue PCB or at least the black one.

The PCB is green.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joesy said:
ShAdOwFuRi said:
bog500 said:

The PCB is green.

And the 2.1 comes in a green variant (I have one), so there is a chance this could be a 2.1.

dewback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like a ver 2.1 to me from the pics. The only way to tell if it is the old one you can feel the chip thought the sticker.
good deal getting a AK2.1 with nice Edge case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.