Hacking Acekard 2i reliability

procasual6789347

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep hearing problems regarding the Acekard line, mostly about dead contacts and saves not working.
How reliable is the current Acekard 2i model and what is it's expected lifespan?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
procasual6789347 said:
I keep hearing problems regarding the Acekard line, mostly about dead contacts and saves not working.
How reliable is the current Acekard 2i model and what is it's expected lifespan?
I've had the AK2i since nearly the very beginning (brought it about 1month after it actually came out)

The only problems I've had with an AK2i is mainly when using it on a DSLite
I had problems with it 'locking up' (Freezing) on the Nintendo 'Health Screen' & having to turn off/on several times before it could boot (Many suggest that this could be due to short contacts within the DSlite itself). I also had a couple of corrupted sav files as well

Since I've updated it so that it'll work after Nintendo's 1.4e update I've had very little trouble using it on a DSi.
The only problem(s) I've had were when playing 'Zelda:Spirit Tracks'. On 2 occasions I've had it lock up on 'screen changes' (i.e when I've got on the train & screen changed to show 'Route Map') but this COULD be because of my save file - which was originally a 'hacked' sav from a M3i0 playing a hacked Z:ST ROM.
I've had not problems with saves with any other games (yet)

Note that I'm currently using AKAIO 1.5 (not official firmware) which I've found very stable (no boot up problems etc), but be warned I have read that the latest 1.5.1 loaders MAY have a few bugs in it & may also cause problems with save files

EDITED: Oh I forgot to mention the only OTHER problem I've had with the AK2i is the clear sticker on the front had come off (got caught @ some point when inserting/removing from DSi) & the inks rubbed off the silver sticker - I've now got a cart with a shiny silver square on it

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
procasual6789347 said:

I have 3 acekard 2i's, and I haven't encountered any problems at all, as for the expected life span, i guess that's down mainly to how well the card is treated

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jackthelad said:
procasual6789347 said:

I have 3 acekard 2i's, and I haven't encountered any problems at all, as for the expected life span, i guess that's down mainly to how well the card is treated

Well said. The lifespan of your flashcart depends heavily on how you treat it.

Heck my M3DS Real gets treated better than my real game cartridges. It rarely leaves my DS Lite.

My Acekard2 when it comes however....hehehe....will recieve the VIP treatment.

procasual6789347

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again I am given conflicting messages on the issue; I would really like to have a more formal analysis on the Acekard's hardware and how it fares against other models.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Acekard 2i is amazing,Ive bought mine, and my bros like 4 months later and they both work perfect, mine isn't spring loaded and his is,that is the only odd thing. As for problems, Ive had none... Its a great buy,its one of the cheapest and one of the bests, no real time saves or slow motion but that's for cheaters anyways, unless your into that sort of thing. Also im using Akaio 1.5.1 which is amazing firmware released by Normmatt that has tons of extra features the original firmware doesn't have such as the updating through your card without having to annoyingly connect to your computer, and a built in anti piracy patcher.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
from my experience (and i've handled about 30 acekards or so) the acekard2i's work nearly all the time on a DSi, but perhaps 90% of the time have minor contact issues with a DSlite.

I think it's because the Acekard2i's are so thin...I assume to cut down on costs of production? compare them to a retail cart and you'll see it.

anyways, I use an acekard2i on my DSi and 99% of the time have no problems. if i do, i just pop it out and stick it in again.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
procasual6789347 said:
I keep hearing problems regarding the Acekard line, mostly about dead contacts and saves not working.This has never been a serious problem. It's probably just the recent batches, manufactured in Nov/Dec '09. Contact issues are problematic with other flashcarts as well, mostly because carts are made of cheap materials, and because they don't have full teeth like original cartridges, so they don't fit properly into the slot, esp. if the slot is worn out/oxidated.

QUOTE(procasual6789347 @ Jan 13 2010, 02:02 AM) How reliable is the current Acekard 2i model and what is it's expected lifespan?
The most current Acekards are model 2.1 or 2i, can't say about the lifespan, but in most cases they should work for quite a while, at least they got a 1-year warranty. I guess it depends on how much you use it, on maintenance and just good old luck.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
A2i is a great card. I used to have an original R4 which fit just like an actual game card, never had any issues with it. My A2i was initially a bit snug - almost too big for the slot, after a bit of use it fits fine - however now I need a piece of paper inside to push the microSD against the contacts inside the A2i... I wonder if this is because the Slot 1 in my DSL have been stretched a little and the card is not squeezed enough...

Still, all good, no problems at all with that minor mod. Akaio ftw.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, mine is pretty dead. I looked after it extremely well, just as well as I look after my iPlayer (which still works perfectly). I played it one night, then the next morning it wouldn't load at all (as in, the DSi doesn't even recognise that there's a cart there). I got it working earlier today, but after I turned my DSi off the thing stopped working again. They're very reliable, I'd imagine I just got unlucky.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
Well, mine is pretty dead. I looked after it extremely well, just as well as I look after my iPlayer (which still works perfectly). I played it one night, then the next morning it wouldn't load at all (as in, the DSi doesn't even recognise that there's a cart there). I got it working earlier today, but after I turned my DSi off the thing stopped working again. They're very reliable, I'd imagine I just got unlucky.

might be a contact issue?

http://www.gamingbase.net/forum/index.php?...-w-flash-carts/

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:

I am starting to have the same problem.
I think it might be the DSi as I got the problem to replicate with an original copy of Super Mario 64 DS.
I got my Acekard2i back an April 2009.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had no problems with either the 2.1 OR the 2i. I'm starting to think it's the currently made batch of Acekard 2.1's that are just faulty. Because I've owned 2 2.1's(one got ran over...yeah), and my current 2i. None of them have any problems at all, and the people I've gotten to buy them haven't had problems either. With either the 2.1 or 2i.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1