Ace3DS Plus Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Devin, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I would honestly suggest avoiding this card.
    It may only be $6.99, but it doesn't have official support for Wood R4 nor do we know how long it will have any support.
    I suggest if you want a cheap flashcard that works, go with original R4 (now 1.1 clone) it doesn't support SDHC or 3DS/DSi, but it's better than this card.
    If you want a budget 3DS/DSi card go with the R4i Gold (url on card: http://r4ids.cn/).

Otherwise I suggest avoiding this card.

2. srsbzns

srsbzns Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2012
    United States
    Thank you Devi for review it ace3ds seem very good cart now I buy 3DS I will buy thi cart so I can plai the 3DS rom and emu! B-)

3. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    This card isn't actually that good a card nor can it play 3DS roms.
    If you want a good card and has emulators I suggest going with the Supercard DSTwo instead. It cost a little more, but it's a much better card than this one.

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    You didn't actually read the review, did you? Nowhere does it say this cart can play 3DS ROMs.

5. reshx

reshx GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    United States
    in my apartment
    very good cart

6. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    What the heck is with these people? NOWHERE in the review does it state that this piece-of-junk can play 3DS ROMS.
    Maybe it's the "3DS" in the title?

7. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Lord of the Seven Kingdoms

Mar 20, 2010
    Netherlands
    Vlissingen
    Devin I have a question, please answer me:

You say Pokémon White works, but did you play the game or just checked if it booted? Because mine freezes when you have to enter your name.

8. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Strange let me try again. I had my save from my R4i Gold that I used. Guess I should have started fresh.

Edit: Still works on a fresh save, you may have a patched rom. Grab a fresh one.

9. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Lord of the Seven Kingdoms

Mar 20, 2010
    Netherlands
    Vlissingen
    I was pretty sure I had a clean rom, but I got a crisp clean ROM and it worked. Thanks for the answer!

10. Centrix

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    I'm gonna have to get one of these since it uses Wood firmware the compatibility should be high!

11. shonenrek

shonenrek Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2012
    United States
    @[member='The Catboy']:

You call $40 a "little more"? The Ace3DS+ is ~$6.99. There is about $37 difference. I'm just saying.

12. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    If you want to literal about it, then clearly it cost a lot more.
    But if you take into account the features of the Supercard DSTwo and the fact that it's actually a high quality flashcard, it's worth the extra money to buy one.

13. shonenrek

shonenrek Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2012
    United States
    Yes, it is all those things (I guess) but if you have a limited amount of money and you have to choose between a low quality flash card for cheap now and a high quality one for more money which you can't get now, but maybe can get it later, what would you choose?

14. Fudge

Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

Banned
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    New York
    For hacking stuff like this the more expensive product hands down. Off brand stuff like this often times loses support not long after it is released.

15. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    People who buy the bad cheap flash carts usually have to buy another one later anyways when the first stops getting updates to play new games.

So get a good one in the first place.

16. shonenrek

shonenrek Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2012
    United States
    I'm going to get the DSi R4i Gold as an SDHC replacement for this original R4 card that came in a DS I bought. I don't care about DSi/3DS compatibility because even if I do get a 3DS, I'll still use my DS Lite for DS games.

17. LockeCole_101629

LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2012
    New Zealand
    all assumptions are valid & reasonable
    however I never treat a flashcart like a memory card (SD/CF/any other form of mmc)
    because MMC tend have lifetime warranty

treat or think a flashcart like a generic card reader
    it meant to be expendable because it is expendable things, it doesn't really matter how expensive this card reader if it's broken then it is broken.

flashcart for NDS Games (either compatible or not with 3ds) are pretty much obsolete, almost no new games (or at least decent games has been released)
    and it quite endless to argue which one is better
    Pros & cons are obvious, look at the price, sure it's not that much if you think about it, how about adding example with another digit add to it? $3990 vs $800?
    Cheaper one often get abandoned but if it's not broken it will work for older games, while the expensive one get support like almost fast enough to cover before user are complaining (only for supercard tough)

but still doesn't matter which one, anything made by human will be broken someday.
    TBH it's all about kernel inside it, and at this point, only 2 developers active to support roms for nds (wood & SC team, well if you consider Retro then 3)

I own SC SD long time ago, they said they will never release or revised their product, but after a while.. MiniSD was released, and probably at this point they already stop supporting those types.
    I'm not saying don't buy it.

in the end it's for you, it's your money
    if you think better value is better for you then get the cheapest R4 with wood support (ace3ds also included).
    if you think better support is better for you then get DSTwo.

Ryccardo likes this.
  18. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    The Ace3DS doesn't have official Wood support, it's hacked in, which means it might stop working while other carts with actual Wood support keep getting updates.

19. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I would do some research to find a better budget card like an R4i Gold or Acekard 2i. If you can't take the time to research a flashcard, then I don't feel sorry for you.Edit: Now that I am awake I can add more to this.The problem with this card is the fact that it's more or less a clone of a clone. It did nothing to improve upon the last card they made. All they pretty much did was make pretty much the same card and throw hacked older version of wood (with updated loaders) on it.These kinda cards are dime a dozen and tend to cause more problems then they worth. Advicing this card would be like telling someone to buy an R4 Ultra over the Acekard 2i, because the R4 Ultra is cheaper and runs an out of date AKAIO. You are better off buying an R4 1.1 clone (pretty much the same hardware as the old one.) That way you bought a cheap card with official wood R4 support. Or spend a little extra and buy a high quality budget flashcard like an R4i Gold or Acekard 2i.

20. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    I've advised someone to try and get the Ace3DS plus recently. They generously took up the idea because I stated that it seemed to meet up with what they wanted (and I did state that it might not end up with support later). They primarily played on an old EZIV which hadn't had support for quite some time now, and they wanted to play one of the Etrian Odyessy games. While it is great to buy a well supported flashcart, sometimes there are those people who really don't care about games past a certain point, want to keep SDHC compatibility, and keep things cheap. Granted possibly there are cheaper clones that might have done just as well, but meh, clones aren't my forte. I would go into detail about why I suggested it, except that it might be somewhat of a bad idea :3 (on IRC I tell all terrors).