Hacking Question Absolute Noob Here...

bipi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I really new to Nintendo and yesterday I've got myself a N3DS XL and a Switch, this couple of questions are about the Switch, I've been totally overwhelmed with all the information available here, that's why I was hoping a direct answer to my specific questions:

- I've got my Switch with a non-patched serial, I'm planning to buy my own games and play my own XCI files, so no shared cert, I like to cheat a bit (offline) and edit my saves, can I be banned, and if yes is very risky? Is better to wait it out until we have more info about bans and mode secure CFW are available?

- I can play with mine XCI file with my CFW or I will need to play with my cartridge on the OFW?

- I saw a lot of tools that I can use to customize my Switch, those tools are safe to use?

- I also saw that is possibile to Play Source games like Half Life and Amiga games on the Swtich...those have ban risk too?

Thanks to anyone who's willing to take the time to answer me :yayswitch:

Last edited by bipi,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I really new to Nintendo and yesterday I've got myself a N3DS XL and a Switch, this couple of questions are about the Switch, I've been totally overwhelmed with all the information available here, that's why I was hoping a direct answer to my specific questions:

- I've got my Switch with a non-patched serial, I'm planning to buy my own games and play my own XCI files, so no shared cert, I like to cheat a bit (offline) and edit my saves, can I be banned, and if yes is very risky? Is better to wait it out until we have more info about bans and mode secure CFW are available?

- I can play with mine XCI file with my CFW or I will need to play with my cartridge on the OFW?

- I saw a lot of tools that I can use to customize my Switch, those tools are safe to use?

Thanks to anyone who's willing to take the time to answer me :yayswitch:
The act of running CFW/homebrew itself is enough to get banned even if you never use xcis/NSPs.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yes, you can get banned. But if you are going to stay offline, you should be good to go (kinda).
XCI, NSP and cartridge on CFW, cartridge on OFW
Kinda. They won't brick it, but there is a possibility to get banned.

bipi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I see that you have your Nintendo Switch up to date and considering....what you are considering? So everybody that have a CFW will be banned sooner or later?

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I see that you have your Nintendo Switch up to date and considering....what you are considering? So everybody that have a CFW will be banned sooner or later?
No? If you do what you are supposed to do, you won't get banned. Just stay offline, and it should be all good.

bipi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But if i someday i feel like to play online with my friend, i will probably get banned right?

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
But if i someday i feel like to play online with my friend, i will probably get banned right?
That's why you have to do a backup of your clean nand first, then cheat however you want offline and once you and with hacking, you can go and restore your clean NAND and be safe (but you would have to start all over again with everything)

bipi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can't i back up my saves before switching from the CFW to the OFW with the backup, and then when I switch again import the saves?

So if i do the backup thing i should be safe?...nice...thank you...

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
basically:
- put your switch on airplane mode, or better erase all connection setup
- do a full nand backup with hekate
- do your shenanigans on cfw, never EVER go online, in any case
- if you need to play online restore your clean nand backup
- rinse and repeat

(ps: if you need to update while in cfw, do it with choixdujour and never EVER boot without autorcm (booting normaly will trigger a fuse check on boot, and if your cfw is higher than your number of burned fuse it will burn fuse to match your actual firmare, and then you will not be able to use your ofw nand backup)

basically, it can be a little pain to be cfw if you are not fully commited to basic cfw hygiene

ps: why all that? because nintendo is logging a fuckton of telemetry, and even if by doing something you are not immediately banned, you
could still be at a later date
if you dot this nand backup thing and never ever go online in cfw nintendo will never see anything wrong since they didnt received telemetry
Oh, and if you try something has altering your telemetry after some have already been send to nintendo it will also been seen as a red flag (nintendo doing some telemetry comparision to see if everything is coherent from a report to another)

edit/ps2: and yeah you can always do save backup while in cfw state, as long as hacked telemetry isnt sent to nintendo everything is good

Last edited by Engezerstorung,

bipi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank for your explanation, if I need to update, can't I just use the backup to use the OFW and update from there? Or is better to update in CFW state?

I need to get used to this CFW hygiene...will do.

Is not possible (probably not) to track the type of telemetry sent to Nintendo? I saw some time ago on Reddit someone that shared the telemetry send while playing splatoon 2, am I mistaken?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I
Honestly at this point I'm waiting for it to become safe to go online on a hacked console. Not willing to hack my Switch until that happens, online is more important.

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I

Honestly at this point I'm waiting for it to become safe to go online on a hacked console. Not willing to hack my Switch until that happens, online is more important.
same, i keep reading on what is happening now but for me its too much of a pain as of now

Thank for your explanation, if I need to update, can't I just use the backup to use the OFW and update from there? Or is better to update in CFW state?

I need to get used to this CFW hygiene...will do.

Is not possible (probably not) to track the type of telemetry sent to Nintendo? I saw some time ago on Reddit someone that shared the telemetry send while playing splatoon 2, am I mistaken?

well, of course you can revert back to ofw to update (and then do a backup again, remember to do a new backup everytime you want to go cfw, your backup need to have all telemetry already send to nintendo, so as a reminder, OFW> go offline> backup OFW >always offline CFW with auto RCM (never booting without RCM)>restore OFW> and so on)
i talked about updating to choix du jour if you wanted to update while in cfw and whitout burning fuses (if you care about them)

edit: and about "if i do all that i would be safe", its more like you would be as safest as you could, it isnt a 1000% safety, if you want a a 100% chance of never getting banned, dont hack

Last edited by Engezerstorung,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: