About Region Lock in Games

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by adrian2040, Jul 18, 2011.

Jul 18, 2011

About Region Lock in Games by adrian2040 at 5:30 PM (2,270 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. adrian2040
    OP

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    Do you think this would be easier to pull off than actual flash carts? Maybe a hardware solution would be better for circumventing region locking as I've never seen any type of software hack for the 3DS yet.

Discuss.

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It could be easier, but not that much easier.

3. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Disabling region lock? Easier then flashcarts?

Chances are, people are gonna have to exploit the 3DS first. At that point, we'd all be focused on flashcarts/CFW.

Flashcarts should be able to bypass region lock by themselves, though.

4. Josephvb10

Member Josephvb10 The Pokémon guy

Costa Rica
    Well not necessary, if the flashcarts are region-locked we can't do nothing, BUT, the games that we will play on the flashcarts will not be region locked

5. nikkuchan

Member nikkuchan GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Flashcards will have to be made for each region I'm assuming, but just like the Wii, once you get that far, loading a different region game should be simple

6. Immortal_no1

Member Immortal_no1 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It should be possible to create a region locked cartridge that can play the same region games, however playing games from other regions would have to inject a region header to the 3ds on start but at any point in time if the game does a cartridge region check it will fail.

Now it may not be necessary to have to patch the game beforehand. if the region code is hardwired then a passthrough process may be possible by starting up the booster cartridge first then jump to the region locked game to continue loading. Similar to the super nintendo region bypass hardware which was in the shape of a "L"

What do people think?

7. iluvfupaburgers

Member iluvfupaburgers FUPA Luva

Ecuador
    why make different flashcarts for different regions? dsi were region locked and no matter where you bought the flashcart, it worked. and flashcarts do work on 3ds. so i dont see the point of doing this

8. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Since the 3DS is region locked, the 3DS mode flashcarts would need be made for the specific region, presumably.

I dont really get what "other" solutions you are talking about. Software hack/exploits to run other region games on the 3DS? That should be certainly possible.

Even if Flashcarts are going to be region specific(of coure updateable bootloader or whatever to change it to your specific region), games probably wont have to be from the same region when ran via flashcart.

9. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Something kinda like SwapMagic?

10. Immortal_no1

Member Immortal_no1 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    In one word... "yes"

11. earny

Member earny GBAtemp Regular

France
    all flashcarts work in ds mode (except cyclo ds I-evolution), that's why you can play any ds games since the original ds (fat and lite) don't have any region lock.