About PS3 controllers...

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Alphacme, Jul 4, 2011.

Jul 4, 2011

About PS3 controllers... by Alphacme at 3:14 PM (1,878 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Alphacme
    OP

Newcomer Alphacme Newbie

Canada
    Just like the title suggests, I would like to know some things about PS3 controllers. The default Sony Dualshock 3 with Sixaxis unfortunately does not include (at least to my knowledge) any kind of Turbo button or functionality... and I kind of need that.

Of course, I know there are accessories (like the XFPS Rateup) and various unofficial controllers that have said Turbo button/functionality, but I need more than just a Turbo; and that's why I need some expertise from people who know more about this.

Basically, not only do I need a Turbo, I also need timing. I need a button that I can just hold (preferably the Cross, but it could be the Circle as well) while the game will think it's being pressed constantly, but I also need a specific timing (like 6 hits per second, for example - but not 5 hits).

So that's why I have no idea which accessory/controller to pick up. Is there any accessory/controller out there that has a customizable Turbo rate? Or is it possible for me do to something myself that will emulate this?

Thanks a lot for helping, by the way.

2. Jehuty25

Member Jehuty25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, there is an accessory, but I won't tell you what it is.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have not heard of the thing Jehuty25 speaks of but I guess it will cost a fortune so I would suggest heading down the controller modding path. These days we have loads of nice programmable chips that cost next to nothing

General idea
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xnj9H_70Cw[/youtube]

Granted the above is for the 360 but the idea holds (switches are switches)- indeed http://express.howstuffworks.com/ps3-autopsy.htm

Also http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Sketch

4. Alphacme
    OP

Newcomer Alphacme Newbie

Canada

5. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I think Jehuty25 doesn't want to say because turbo can be considered cheating for some games.

6. Alphacme
    OP

Newcomer Alphacme Newbie

Canada
    Maybe so, but there's just one thing I want to do with it and it's offline, so I don't think that will mess up anybody's life.

7. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    i remember visiting some site where they would put turbo buttons on your legitimate dualshock 3 controller, and you could customize what button it was and how often it pressed, but it costed a crapton of money

8. Alphacme
    OP

Newcomer Alphacme Newbie

Canada
    Well then it surely is possible... anyone know a tutorial for making a Turbo button, what materials are necessary and how to program it?

Or at least, how to modify the speed of a normal Turbo controller. That would work as well.

9. Zerosuit connor

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    Wait A Minute! Stop Everything!

What does turbo even do?

10. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Turbo is normally a button that acts as another button (for example, you have your A button and a Turbo A button on the same controller. They are separate buttons). When you press and hold the Turbo A button, the game would recognize it as if you were rapidly pressing the regular A button. It's very useful in button mashers.

11. Alphacme
    OP

Newcomer Alphacme Newbie

Canada
    Nobody knows how to modify a Turbo controller's speed/rate?

Also I came across something:
    This was posted in 2008 (LINK)

Do anyone knows some kind of software that work similarly? Whether it's to plug a controller in a PC, add a Turbo function with specific speed and then get the signal back out to a PS3 via USB or directly from PC to PS3?

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I took at look at that guide and it is pretty much what I mentioned- the pic is a competitor to atmel in the microcontroller world (which is the basis of the arduino and the teensy). For the arduino and teensy at least you program them simply with USB (regular pic and atmel devices take a little (cheap) bit of hardware to program) although you could also tack on a switch to tell it to change speed modes (probably even tack on a variable resistor if you wanted to tune it but that is getting ahead of things).
    Bonus is that guide for the shoulder buttons at least lists locations of debug pins (if the shoulders have them chances are the face buttons will as well) on the controller to use instead of cutting down to the trace under the buttons which is far nicer. You apply a voltage to those debug pins and it is as good as pressing the buttons yourself. These microcontrollers are all about putting out voltage signals at given points in time for given durations. The rest of the guide was just soldering and installation methods. Personally I would shoot the wires out into a connector rather than attempt to install it inside the controller but that is getting into installation again.
    The guide I linked details how to send a pulse at a given frequency which is trivial to chance to light up an LED. It is nothing to send the LED wire to a controller debug port (or if you have to the trace on the button).

The PC thing would require the PC to act as a USB device itself which does not happen without extra hardware (certainly not for a standard PC)- why people needed to find a given device to do the jailbreak hacks for the PS3 as opposed to just wiring up a lead from the PC.

"because I can't seem to read the firmware from the DVD Drive"
    Before I assume it is a dead drive you should have had the DVD keys from your initial hacking of the drive which is all you need to get things back on track (although if it is a dead drive you will have to get a new one). If you erased it and then the power cut hit the eject logic will have gone (the appearance of a dead drive) but it very much should still work if you put a firmware back on it- you just have to remove the plate, hit the eject bar, set the drive in upgrade mode or whatever it is called and flash a firmware to it.
    Before I forget how long ago was this- if it was before 11th August 2009 (or the machine has not been updated since then) then you probably have a JTAG capable machine which is great as not only can you dump the keys if it comes to that but you can then have a machine capable of playing games from USB, the hard drive, DLC, XBLA, hacked games in the spirit of this thread you can do things like remap controller buttons all without a DVD drive.
    https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_30dw33vpf4

13. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
  14. Alphacme
    OP

Newcomer Alphacme Newbie

Canada
    As far as the controller goes, I'll be honest with you; I really don't understand much. I should probably try to get someone with more expertise do it for me or search high and low for a turbo controller that I can customize and just change the speed of the Turbo to my needs. Otherwise, I may have to invest way to much money (which I don't have) in that project. Or maybe I can build a machine out of a jigsaw that will press the button? (not very practical, but it's just an idea - maybe it won't work)

But I would sure like to see my Xbox360 working again. And I sure hope that you could help me with the first few steps.

My Xbox 360 is part of a bundle from Christmas in 2008, so I was close to being able to make it work without the DVD Drive; however, I checked your document and it said my dashboard had to be under 2.0.7371.0 (and GO FIGURE I went to rent a game one year ago or so that forced me to update my dashboard through the disc and yeah, now I'm over 2.0.7371.0... WHY DID I RENT THAT FREAKING GAME!!? life sucks)

And for my DVD Drive, power got cut off before I even read anything from it. But nothing has been deleted either. All that happens is that the Xbox 360 or anything that I use to power it on just doesn't recognize it or fails. From what I gathered, it has entered "Bad Flash" which seems to be some kind of "lock" that needs to be removed before it works again. I have no idea how to make that happen, but everyone I've talked to about this seems to say it's not dead and all the info (key, firmware, etc.) is still on there. Guess you can say that's the only thing about my Xbox 360 that I'm lucky about...

So which way should I go from there, in your opinion?