Gaming About Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear people whining about Pokemon being the exact, exact, exact, exact same thing over, and over, and over, and over again. Despite the fact that they are NOT the same, and almost ALWAYS have new features that the others did not have. Not everyone plays it for storylines, nor are you forced to buy them. I say get over it...but.

I've never once heard a single complaint about the Yu-gi-oh games, which are even MORE of the same thing each game then the last one. At least Stardust Accel. brought Speed Duels to the field(pun intended), which was rather new. But playing RoA, it seems LITERALLY like an expansion. I bought it anyway, don't regret it, but still, it makes me wonder. Yu-gi-oh is extremely popular, I'd almost wager that it's somewhat close to Pokemon's popularity(both positive and negative).

So. When Pokemon almost always brings at least 1 thing new EVERY TIME a new generation comes out, people whine, moan, and poo their pants, why doesn't anyone do that over Yu-gi-oh games, which release MORE games then Pokemon. One each year for GBC/GBA/DS, and a bunch on other handhelds and the consoles as well.

And I'm not complaining, just wondering why people only do it for Pokemon. I have RoA reserved, and playing the japanese version. IT's fun, and I don't regret buying it, but still...it seems more an expansion to Stardust then Platinum was to D/P.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I don't like Yu-Gi-Oh after WC2008 (which I still play). They changed the board too much. Pokemon never screw it up - so far.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XWolf said:
Personally I don't like Yu-Gi-Oh after WC2008 (which I still play). They changed the board too much. Pokemon never screw it up - so far.

I still don't get what people mean by this. The board's format is, and always has been, the exact same thing since the start...

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
shinkukage09 said:
XWolf said:

I still don't get what people mean by this. The board's format is, and always has been, the exact same thing since the start...
Have you actually played them both?

yugioh_world_championship_tournament_2008_profilelarge.jpg

Changed to:
tn_565_3.jpg

No longer a 2d board.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually that looks quite nice. Miss the 3D animated top screen but the actaul board was what I hated about 2009. Might have to give that a whirl.

WalterCool

Trophies
Website
www.slash.cl
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
XWolf said:

I can agree that...

Im a Yu-Gi-Oh card player and im playing WC2010..., additionally, im a pokemon card player and a storyline follower.

5D is just crap... i liked Yu-Gi and Jaden main storyline. I hate Speed World cards and battles...

Well, syncro cards are ok, is like Neo cards, but is a great... but... the game and main storyline just crap.

I can play pokémon games... are just fun, is complex, popular and yeah, each pokémon version have a new change... you must modify your team attacks or pokémon... thats fun.

Instead... on YuGiOh with the 5D change... you must change your game style, i mean... i cant play safely with my dark magician deck (yeah, im old school) and be prepared to that stupid race games.

YuGiOh 2010 is not bad, but 2008 with new cards should be REALLY BETTER.

Instead, each version of pkmn is great =\ Im waiting Heart Gold (not dump xD Im will buy it), but YuGiOh 2009 was like Windows Vista =P

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WalterCool said:
XWolf said:

I can agree that...

Im a Yu-Gi-Oh card player and im playing WC2010..., additionally, im a pokemon card player and a storyline follower.

5D is just crap... i liked Yu-Gi and Jaden main storyline. I hate Speed World cards and battles...

Well, syncro cards are ok, is like Neo cards, but is a great... but... the game and main storyline just crap.

I can play pokémon games... are just fun, is complex, popular and yeah, each pokémon version have a new change... you must modify your team attacks or pokémon... thats fun.

Instead... on YuGiOh with the 5D change... you must change your game style, i mean... i cant play safely with my dark magician deck (yeah, im old school) and be prepared to that stupid race games.

YuGiOh 2010 is not bad, but 2008 with new cards should be REALLY BETTER.

Instead, each version of pkmn is great =\ Im waiting Heart Gold (not dump xD Im will buy it), but YuGiOh 2009 was like Windows Vista =P

You're kidding, right? The story in 5D's EASILY outranks the original and GX...edgier, darker, lot better...has the homicidal Aki...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pokemon is simple and boring. It NEEDS something new because otherwise you're doing the exact same thing over and over. A different region and a bunch of boring filler crap is all that changes per game.
A bunch of new pokemon is nice, but they're getting lazier and lazier thus pokemon are getting lamer and lamer as they go.

Yugioh may be the 'same thing', but it's also constantly different. You can make decks from what, 2 or 3 thousand cards? It's always fun, and there's always a feel of variety to it. You can duel against tons and tons of different pre-set decks, or do some multiplayer and have a blast with that. There's always an edge of difficulty to it as well, since it's basically impossible to create an "ultimate" deck, but is very fun to try.

TL;DR - Pokemon being basically the same crap over and over is 510% more apparent then Yugioh being the same over and over. Thus the complaints.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon was a lot more popular than YuGiOh and thus drew as much hate as it did love. Not to mention YuGiOh is updated every year mostly for new cards. Kinda like baseball games and updated rosters. Although I don't know where the fuck they got the idea of putting motorcycles in there...

Also, YuGiOh is a card game. Pokemon is a RPG. Card games hardly go through any change. Magic the Gathering, the most popular trading card game ever, still relies on principles from when it launched 20-odd years ago. Sure, it has a lot of new cards and some new mechanics in place, but it's still Magic. And I fucking love MtG. As for Pokemon, people expect some change eventually. I really don't care since I find Pokemon RPG mechanics to be great to start with, but some people do. Pokemon does, like Magic the Gathering, change some things around while keeping the same formula. No longer is Special one stat, it's now two stats. No longer does an attack's power rely on what type it is, but whether it's a physical attack or non-physical attack. Oh, and there's lots of new Pokemon, each unique to another. It's still the same turn-based and core mechanics since it's Red and Blue days, though.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CyrusBlue said:
Speaking of Pokemon and card games....I wish Nintendo would give us another Pokemon TCG for the DS.

The pokemon TCG was a joke.
A joke I was joyfully apart of when it first started....but yeah, a joke nonetheless.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omocho said:
CyrusBlue said:
Speaking of Pokemon and card games....I wish Nintendo would give us another Pokemon TCG for the DS.

The pokemon TCG was a joke.
A joke I was joyfully apart of when it first started....but yeah, a joke nonetheless.

QUOTE(CyrusBlue @ Feb 21 2010, 04:36 AM)

Well, it was basically another "LET'S PUSH A FAD" game but it was actually shitloads of fun. Probably the second best TCG game I've played. The GBC game was awesome. I just want a WiiWare/DSiWare game of it.

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh... Good old Pokemon TCG on the GBC. Loved that game. Was the first game I had for the GBC.

And Magic is a pretty kick@$$ game. I do wish there was a way to compress everything and make it fit on a DS cart... It's kinda inconvenient to carry around several decks with me at all times.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The biggest gripe people have with pokemon(including myself) is they milk it to death,they release 2 games at a time and then milk you for a 3rd game with slighty added features such as more legends and what not,hey if you wanna buy/download the same game 3 times go for it.....

~Edit~
laugh.gif
posted the same crap on GFs......

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Azlan Uchiha said:
yu-gi-oh cards are expensive..games...only cards...pokemon have cards n anime rockz..atleast they are real not in cards LOL

The Pokemon anime doesn't rock by any means. Neither does the Yu-Gi-Oh one but still, the Pokemon anime isn't good.

And I thought Yu-Gi-Oh cards weren't actually "real", they just projected some hologram or something when battling. That's what I remember as a kid.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Azlan Uchiha said:
yu-gi-oh cards are expensive..games...only cards...pokemon have cards n anime rockz..atleast they are real not in cards LOL

The Pokemon anime doesn't rock by any means. Neither does the Yu-Gi-Oh one but still, the Pokemon anime isn't good.

And I thought Yu-Gi-Oh cards weren't actually "real", they just projected some hologram or something when battling. That's what I remember as a kid.
atleast yugioh anime was better than pokemon.. pokemon anime is boring imo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol