Homebrew a9lh question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Your statement seems a bit contradicting. Before A9LH, emunand/rednand was the only way to hack past 9.2... allowing for CIA installation and the like. Its not like theres A9LH, emunand peasants, and then some third option using neither. A9LH is the only hack method that provides the advantages listed. And while its not a forced feature.. it IS still a feature that is A9LH exclusive.. which basically makes your point invalid.
"Past 9.2" yes, but for someone who is only interested in "Only need to install GBA/DS CIAs once" and "Save space on the SD card" (like that guy for example who almost seem interested in the 2DS for it's GB(A) compatibility on a better screen than on a GB(A)), then these features are not a9lh exclusive (no need to go past 9.2), so my point remains.
Now yes, a9lh is the only method that provides the whole set of features listed (if set up "correctly" (I mean that if you want GBA installed once, then "correctly" is "sysNAND only")) but these features aren't necessarily exclusive "advantages" when taken separately (though I obviously agree that whatever one wants to do with a 3DS, a9lh is almost always the best way to do it (except if it is "play cartridges game only with a broken SD port")).

Reactions: astrangeone

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Past 9.2" yes, but for someone who is only interested in "Only need to install GBA/DS CIAs once" and "Save space on the SD card" (like that guy for example who almost seem interested in the 2DS for it's GB(A) compatibility on a better screen than on a GB(A)), then these features are not a9lh exclusive (no need to go past 9.2), so my point remains.
Now yes, a9lh is the only method that provides the whole set of features listed (if set up "correctly" (I mean that if you want GBA installed once, then "correctly" is "sysNAND only")) but these features aren't necessarily exclusive "advantages" when taken separately (though I obviously agree that whatever one wants to do with a 3DS, a9lh is almost always the best way to do it (except if it is "play cartridges game only with a broken SD port")).
This still makes no sense. Somebody only interested in "Only need to install GBA/DS CIAs once" and "Save space on the SD card" would NEED A9LH, as these options arent available for any other method. With emunand, you HAVE to install VC CIAs twice.. and you have a partioned SD which kills some storage space. Now like you said, A9LH doesnt REQUIRE that you use updated sysnand and obtain these advantages.. but ONLY WITH A9LH do these advantages apply to you. You can choose to still use emunand and sacrifice these advantages that way, but regardless.. the advantages ARE A9LH exclusive considering they arent possible without it.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This still makes no sense. Somebody only interested in "Only need to install GBA/DS CIAs once" and "Save space on the SD card" would NEED A9LH, as these options arent available for any other method. With emunand, you HAVE to install VC CIAs twice.. and you have a partioned SD which kills some storage space. Now like you said, A9LH doesnt REQUIRE that you use updated sysnand and obtain these advantages.. but ONLY WITH A9LH do these advantages apply to you. You can choose to still use emunand and sacrifice these advantages that way, but regardless.. the advantages ARE A9LH exclusive considering they arent possible without it.
Not true, you can have a sysNAND only CFW without a9lh. GW and rxTools for example have an option to boot to patched sysNAND in their menu (and I only mention those ones because it's easier to imagine they have that option without knowing it first since they have a menu). No idea why you think only a9lh allows CFWs to boot to sysNAND.
Now, again, I don't say a9lh isn't better, just that it isn't required.

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend not trying it unless you have a o3ds which can directly be downgraded system version 2.1, if its N3ds I am sure its even more susceptible to bricks than my o3ds which got bricked because I tried that otp helper step in the guide, basically you have to merge emuNAND with sysNAND to access system version 2.1 "safely" which I call BS you save like 2 hours not trying that, if you have a o3ds just by making a sysNAND backup then directly downgrading to get the otp works 100%, anyways if its a N3ds you have to follow the guide as closely as possible and make sure that you haven't tampered with emuNAND or RedNAND which I guess you already have which can with a high chance lead to a brick unless you're coming off of a vanilla N3ds to get A9lh to work, which means starting from scratch and getting to CFW which is what the guide is aimed at, and not at existing users of CFW on menuhax+EmuNand setup which I assume you are using.
It's actually not. If you follow the guide from beginning to end the only possible bricks are from user error, and even then these user errors probably won't make it past OTPHelper's One-Click Setup. Please do not give out misinformation on a subject you clearly no next to nothing about.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not true, you can have a sysNAND only CFW without a9lh. GW and rxTools for example have an option to boot to patched sysNAND in their menu (and I only mention those ones because it's easier to imagine they have that option without knowing it first since they have a menu). No idea why you think only a9lh allows CFWs to boot to sysNAND.
It's not the same thing as A9LH. A9LH has full access to the arm9 kernel early in boot, whereas other CFW's require you to be on a certain firmware.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not the same thing as A9LH. A9LH has full access to the arm9 kernel early in boot, whereas other CFW's require you to be on a certain firmware.
Well I know that... Just read the full conversation before trying to contribute... I'm not even trying to defend other methods vs a9lh, I'm just trying to clear up confusion and you're just adding more of it.

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally forgot rxTools had patched sysNAND ability.. its been so long since I used it. But honestly, patched sys through rx never felt/worked as easy or safe as A9LH does. Its not realllllllly the same thing to me.. but I see what youre saying.

Reactions: Hayleia

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally forgot rxTools had patched sysNAND ability.. its been so long since I used it. But honestly, patched sys through rx never felt/worked as easy or safe as A9LH does. Its not realllllllly the same thing to me.. but I see what youre saying.
Reminder that you can't update rxT sys

Reactions: nickwhit

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
It's actually not. If you follow the guide from beginning to end the only possible bricks are from user error, and even then these user errors probably won't make it past OTPHelper's One-Click Setup. Please do not give out misinformation on a subject you clearly no next to nothing about.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait how do I know next to nothing about a9lh after pulling it off successfully without following the step in the guide that leads to the most bricks? The one click setup has lead many people's 3ds's to bricks, I am not hating but the guide should have differences in it for people who are coming off of having CFW already installed and for people trying to get to CFW from scratch, the direct downgrade is much more successful for o3ds's than the otp one click setup, I have done that with around 20 o3ds's and have had none brick except for my only backup 3ds with which I followed the guide from A-Z and ended up with a brick and not to mention the amount of time it saves, so you tell me how am I spreading false news? This is my tried and tested method, I am already working on a guide for o3ds's to downgrade straight to 2.1 without having to fiddle with the emuNAND, especially for people who are using rxtools 2.6 or rxtools in general.

Last edited by Treeko,

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait how do I know next to nothing about a9lh after pulling it off successfully without following the step in the guide that leads to the most bricks? The one click setup has lead many people's 3ds's to bricks, I am not hating but the guide should have differences in it for people who are coming off of having CFW already installed and for people trying to get to CFW from scratch, the direct downgrade is much more successful for o3ds's than the otp one click setup, I have done that with around 20 o3ds's and have had none brick except for my only backup 3ds with which I followed the guide from A-Z and ended up with a brick and not to mention the amount of time it saves, so you tell me how am I spreading false news? This is my tried and tested method, I am already working on a guide for o3ds's to downgrade straight to 2.1 without having to fiddle with the emuNAND, especially for people who are using rxtools 2.6 or rxtools in general.
The guide DOES differentiate between people starting from scratch and those who already have CFW. If you have CFW youre instructed to start at step 4. And as previously stated 100 times... the guide is noob and brick proof IF you read and follow it ALL.

Directly downgrading sysNAND is nowhere near as safe as downgrading your emuNAND, then flashing it over... Regardless of whats proven safer or faster for you. Thats the whole reason that section of the guide suggests using emu/redNAND. Sure you can do it your way, and even cut a couple hours of time that way. But its not recommended, and honestly you ARE spreading more false information trying to act like your method is superior.

Another one who tries to jump into the conversation without reading the beginning beforehand. You just told him one of the arguments he used against me so I think he knows that...
Regardless of whether his post was meant to be for me.. at least itll help some poor newbie who doesnt know better, if they happen to have read this far.

Last edited by nickwhit,
Reactions: Hayleia

Feeling it!

Pure Logical Feels.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol wut.
No, seriously. I get its partially a joke.. but damn.
So random, and such little sense it makes :blink:
Our arm9 runs at blazing speed and I asked somebody what I should do with my arm9 and he told me to see how many emunands it could hold without a brick..............so 50

Reactions: Davidosky99

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
The guide DOES differentiate between people starting from scratch and those who already have CFW. If you have CFW youre instructed to start at step 4. And as previously stated 100 times... the guide is noob and brick proof IF you read and follow it ALL.

Directly downgrading sysNAND is nowhere near as safe as downgrading your emuNAND, then flashing it over... Regardless of whats proven safer or faster for you. Thats the whole reason that section of the guide suggests using emu/redNAND. Sure you can do it your way, and even cut a couple hours of time that way. But its not recommended, and honestly you ARE spreading more false information trying to act like your method is superior.

Regardless of whether his post was meant to be for me.. at least itll help some poor newbie who doesnt know better, if they happen to have read this far.
I never said my method was superior lol you're just acting butthurt like the other guy, tell me where I spread false news? If you get even 1 error during the one click setup its a brick regardless, you call it noob proof when its not, if it were noob proof, N3ds people would not be told, to not try a9lh right now that proves its not noob proof, the guides aim is at people who literally just bought a new 3ds and want to hack isn't that why the guide starts like that? I am not hating but the guide certainly has problems and I only recommended my method because I personally have had a better experience with it than the official method or whatever it is, you still can't tell me why the guide starts with unnecessary steps for people already on CFW thats why I said it caters to people who are new and want to hack thats why a9lh is still dangerous it can lead to bricks, thats all I am saying I was just putting in a word of caution for the OP, if you're so butthurt about it, then don't go around claimimg people are spreading false news, instead give your own opinion rather than to start a arguement, merging emuNAND to sysNAND is more dangerous IN MY OPINION there I made it easier for you to see, the reason for that is you can't expect people to have a hardmod to recover their sysNAND if they get a single error on the otp part, downgrading is safer again IN MY OPINION, and I am not saying it is superior to the official guide its just faster and safer IN MY OPINION because of my personal experience.

Last edited by Treeko,

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricks in One Click Setup are ALWAYS user error. And even then, One Click Setup usually has safe guards in place to prevent those bricks. If you fail something, One Click Setup will safely kick you out. So PLEASE, stop giving people misinformation. Just because YOU think that a method is safer doesn't mean it is. You CLEARLY know next to nothing about the process.

Reactions: nickwhit

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country
Why all the childish bitching? The guide @Pikm made is probably one of the beat guides I have followed. Very informative and easy to follow. Everything is explained perfectly and as long as your good with following guides then nothing will go wrong and this is coming from someone who used this guide last night and have never hacked a 3DS before. Thank you soo much @Pikm

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why all the childish bitching? The guide @Pikm made is probably one of the beat guides I have followed. Very informative and easy to follow. Everything is explained perfectly and as long as your good with following guides then nothing will go wrong and this is coming from someone who used this guide last night and have never hacked a 3DS before. Thank you soo much @Pikm
*Plailect

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
Bricks in One Click Setup are ALWAYS user error. And even then, One Click Setup usually has safe guards in place to prevent those bricks. If you fail something, One Click Setup will safely kick you out. So PLEASE, stop giving people misinformation. Just because YOU think that a method is safer doesn't mean it is. You CLEARLY know next to nothing about the process.
Does it? If it does then fine yeah its good, and stop trying to act all high and mighty, I have been coming to gbatemp for atleast 4-5 years I have been following the 3ds hacking scene development since it was in its infancy, I swear people can't have their opinions on this site since the 3ds scene blew up all you butthurt people have taken over this site which used to be great, I am in no way giving out misinformation, I am just highlighting a f***** alternate method to downgrading so mind your own business if you can't handle other peoples opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F