a9lh for a kid?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by xile6, Nov 15, 2016.

1. xile6
    OP

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Long story short.
    My son had a o3ds was up to date on orig firm. had some VC games. like to get on the eshop etc..
    He left it on the floor and broke the top half of the 3ds (hing and ribbon cable all gone)

Well i have a 9.2 o3ds xl
    I plan to give it to him for christmas. I just installed a9lh on it but it still on firmware 9.2

Is there anything i should know to look out for. I dont want him to mess with something and end up bricking the 3ds.

It has luma on it and i plan to remove the boot up payload so if he presses a button while turning it on it will boot as normal vs hourglass or something.

Plan to put FBI in a folder and tell him not to use it.
    But is there anything else he can mess up? Like doing a system update?

2. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Install SALTFW for him, that'll keep him out of configs and dec9.

3. Ann0ying

Ann0ying GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2016
    NtDH! GA!
    System updates on a9lh is ok.
    Don't let him use homebrew, cuz he can mess smth up.

4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    IIRC FBI obeys parental controls. System updates are safe as long as you're using a good CFW like Luma. It'd be best to not have any payloads like Decrypt9 or Hourglass9 ready to go. You can always put them on the SD if needed.

I think it'd be OK for him to open Luma settings (I mean, don't encourage him if he doesn't know what he's doing, but I don't think any major harm could come from it), but I might be wrong on that.

5. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Nah nothing important from opening Luma settings.

My recommendation is give him Lum3DS, put parental controls on the system (in this case FBI is okay to have because as said above it obeys parental controls), have no payloads in luma/payloads/ and just be sure to update his luma from time to time just to be safe and stay fully up-to-date :P

eldavo2090 likes this.
  6. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    It's okay to update on A9LH. I've hacked my 8 year old cousin's 2DS, installed a bunch of games on it. I made a folder with FBI, Luma etc and explained to him that it's something I need in the future so please don't touch it. 2 months later and last I heard, the only problem it's caused is him playing it too late at night.

TehVillylol and TheVinAnator like this.
  7. xile6
    OP

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Payloads remove.
    FBI and homebrew added to parental controls
    So if a new system update pops up after Christmas and he updates. a9lh will still be there and everything will still work?

i have a n3ds for myself and its on 9.2 a9lh cause i dont see a need to update

8. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Most likely (I'd say 95%), but you should watch the forums just in case.

9. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Yep exactly what UniqueGeek said :P

10. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    I let my 7-year-old nephew play on my a9lh'd o3DS all the time. No parental controls, payloads left alone, homebrew installed. Granted, I have all the games I installed for him in a folder with his name on it, and he only plays while I'm watching him, but he hasn't managed to do any damage yet. Since you're planning on giving the system to your son, which means you'll have less control over his play time than I do, I'd suggest removing payloads and unnecessary homebrew and locking FBI behind parental controls, but it's safe. The beauty of a9lh is that even if he gets around all that and somehow bricks the NAND, you can just restore a NAND backup and you're fine. System updates shouldn't change anything, and at worst will probably only remove a9lh, assuming Nintendo manages to figure out a method to beat Luma's firmware protection. Just get the system from him every so often to update Luma.

11. aos10

aos10 look at me,shitposting about GW,i am so cool

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    Just use rxTools.
    RXtools is perfect for kids,there is no way they can mess things up,just make sure the 3DS cold boot to rxTools immediately.

Someone is going to kill me.

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  12. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Welll rxTools is not compatible with A9LH and uhhh it's a CFW how can they not mess things up? =/

13. EmuAGR

EmuAGR GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2016
    Nope.

Lacius likes this.
  14. Tenshi_Okami

Tenshi_Okami GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    There's always SaltFW

EmuAGR likes this.